It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would you need a prescription for vitamins, but not for tobaco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So I was thinking.
99% of all smokers start before the age of 18.
Wouldn't it be fair to say that minors are the 100% of the new customer base for the tobacco industry? Therefore wouldn't it make sense to regulate tobacco purchases in to prescription form.
Perhaps some form of photo id, where you can only purchase from a pharmacy. Basically take the availability away from minors.

Some people argue that kids are well warned of the health effects of smoking. But the fact is teenagers love to be "naughty". I know I was

The whole Nazi thing towards smokers really annoys me. I mean ten years ago, you could smoke anywhere, and nobody really gave a s#!t.
Now when you light up a smoke outdoors and downwind from somebody.
They act like they are having a seizure.

Its not that I don't respect other peoples right's, its just that. Its bizarre to watch people behave in a way, that society tells them to behave.

Lets say I own my own bar. And I want to cater to smokers in my bar.
Honestly who has the right to tell me. That people are not allowed to smoke in the property that I own.

Are you angry about my opinion? Shouldn't you question why you are angry about that. As opposed to not being angered by the fact that. The government can walk in to a private establishment. Where everyone. Including the owner, and the clientele are smokers. And tell you that you are not allowed to do that in here.

Now keep this in mind. The government, takes about 85% in taxes from the sale of tobacco. In my eyes. That makes them the supplier.

If they really wanted people to stop smoking. they could make it unavailible to the new smokers. You want to be angry? be angy at that

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As David Icke says, this is not about the smoking, it's about tip toe totalitarism. Getting people used to being pinned down by rules and regulations and law at every corner. That said, I'm a non smoker and in this particular case do not really miss people smoking next to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
As David Icke says, this is not about the smoking, it's about tip toe totalitarism. Getting people used to being pinned down by rules and regulations and law at every corner. That said, I'm a non smoker and in this particular case do not really miss people smoking next to me.

Its not the point.
I dont miss you missing people smoking next to you.
But I am not going to twist your arm and frog march you in to a bar for smokers

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Couldn't agree with you more. I have a huge problem with the regulation of smoking by the government. What ever happened to FREE WILL. If you don't want to be around smoke then you don't enter an establishment that allows smoking. If the government wants to regulate it then it should where and how you purchase it and not where you smoke it. There are even some towns where you can't smoke no where inside their limits. If I'm paying my taxes I'll get up on my roof, smoke my cig for all to see...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Here in Vancouver first it started by taking out the smoking sections in a bar/restaurant/club . Then last January they banned it even on outdoor decks and patios. Soon you wont even be allowed to smoke in any public place outdoors. One of our local mountains, Grouse, is becoming one of the first no smoking allowed period...anywhere.

I believe with the restaurant/bar thing it was more about protecting the non smoking employees from second hand smoke.

I am a light smoker but I do understand and appreciate the non smokers need and want to not be around second hand smoke and I am all for that but....what about the rights of a smoker? I don't think government has the right to keep telling us what we can or cannot do. If a business was to open up that catered to smokers and advertised themselves in that way...then that should be allowed. If non smokers don't like second hand smoke, there are plenty of "smoke free" places they can go so don't go there. (they have taken away everyone's freedom of choice.

Soon you wont even be able to smoke in your own back yard or anywhere else except in your own home with the windows closed........that is if you own your own home and don't rent.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
since when do you need a prescription for vitamins?

and can u provide a link showing proof that the govt. takes 85% of profit or revenue from cigarettes

top topics

join