It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to use a sextant??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hi all,

As part of my Sit-X prep, I ahve decided I should learn celestial navigation by sextant. My ´escape´ will be by sea whan it comes to it, and my guess is we will not be able to access navigation (GPS) satellites.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a downloadable ebook on how to use a sextant? Or otherwise maybe send me one?

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Message to mods:
Thanks for moving my thread to the most relevant forum. I figured the only forum with ´questions´ in it´s title fit, but this is better!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
all tho I cant help you learn the skill your interested in. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread because it interest me. Honestly I had not thought of it until you mentioned it on here. Good job on pointing this out to us thank you.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Being from THE Yachting Centre of the World, if you are from the UK I would suggest a course from the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) - I believe they do one. Other than that, I would suggest looking at Amazon for a book on the subject.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
reply to post by Psychopump

Being from THE Yachting Centre of the World, if you are from the UK I would suggest a course from the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) - I believe they do one. Other than that, I would suggest looking at Amazon for a book on the subject.

I live in Spain, but thankyou!
To be honest, I am,looking for a no-cost solution to my lack of knowledge in this matter. I simply cannot pay for course like the one you mention.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Ive done a little research and here is what ive come up with so far.
ATS

So Maybe U2U doc and see if he can help us I will keep looking. I seem to remember that doc had a thread or post on using a sextant but I may be wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump
Hi all,

As part of my Sit-X prep, I ahve decided I should learn celestial navigation by sextant. My ´escape´ will be by sea whan it comes to it, and my guess is we will not be able to access navigation (GPS) satellites.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a downloadable ebook on how to use a sextant? Or otherwise maybe send me one?

Thanks!

In the ways things are going it might not really matter, since you won't be able to see the stars from Nuclear Fallout.

But your local library should have books on Navigating the oceans, and will give you info on the subject. A hands on course would be 100 times better IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Ive done a little research and here is what ive come up with so far.
ATS

So Maybe U2U doc and see if he can help us I will keep looking. I seem to remember that doc had a thread or post on using a sextant but I may be wrong.

Thankyou for your resourcefulness! I have sent a U2U to the good doctor and invited him to join this thread. I hope to see him here soon. (star for you!)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
How to use a sextant.

Very easy resource, print it off, laminate it, and practise.

Sextant use made easy

its first advice however is golden.

The principles of a sextant are easy to master but its use requires some skill and practice. Small errors make for large discrepancies in one's position.

Take care on those high seas, because its a long wall to land fall from spain if you muck it up.

top topics

join