It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna bet your phone is tapped?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So I'm guessing anyone that says anything negative about our government has there phone tapped. That would be the point of a wiretapping program would it not?

Talking bad about our government equates to a budding terrorist doesn't it?

Posting negative things about our government on the internets, I bet your phone could be tapped!

You say Save the Trees and the Whales and I bet your phone could be tapped!!!

Just what criteria does the government need to tap your phone?

HA!!! he's wearing a blue T-Shirt we need to tap his phone!!!!

The government apparently no longer needs a court order to do so, so how are they choosing who to tap!?

Post a thread about illegal or I guess now legal wiretapping, and get your phone tapped!!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Just because they want to.Im sure.They probably always did.Having this law really wont change anything.They tap anyones phone anyway if they want.Its just to avoid law suits I guess.Which of course you couldn't win anyway because the Judge works for them.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Totalitarian Tip-Toe has definitely picked up he pace.

You could not pay me any amount of money to vacation in America. Justlike you could pay me to vacation in Germany in 1939.

By entering the US, you are giving up your claim to your human rights. They are no longer valid in that country.

I cannot believe this has happened. I no longer have hope for the americans anymore. I am saving it for my own country.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

You think anywhere in the western world is as free as we once where? We're all losing our freedom/liberty based way of life to a police/security corporate state, the UK, Australia the rest of Europe are included here.

It seemed like we needed the big red menace [USSR] a Real potential enemy to keep our freedoms because today we are losing our freedoms to a host of imaginary enemies, or enemies that do Not have the ability to annihilate us!!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If you think that every person in the U.S. who badmouths the government has their phone tapped, that would be everyone over 9 years old in America.

Population:
303,824,646 (July 2008 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 20.1% (male 31,257,108/female 29,889,645)
15-64 years: 67.1% (male 101,825,901/female 102,161,823)
65 years and over: 12.7% (male 16,263,255/female 22,426,914) (2008 est.)

www.cia.gov...

But for the sake of your thread let's subtract everyone 14 years old and younger even though they badmouth the government too.

So that would mean that roughly 243,059,717 people would have their phones tapped. Take that number and multiply it by say an average of 5 phone calls a day.

That would be 1,215,298,585 phone calls a day to monitor. Yeah, I am sure the government has the manpower or the gigabytes needed to monitor that many phone calls.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

That would be 1,215,298,585 phone calls a day to monitor. Yeah, I am sure the government has the manpower or the gigabytes needed to monitor that many phone calls.

Ever heard of supercomputers? Listening in for pre-programmed keywords?
I am quite sure that the powers that be already possess computers based on human brain cells, and these surely would be up to the job of flagging suspect calls, even with the numbers involved.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've got news for y'all... You ever hear of the "Patriot" act? That's where our polititians traded our liberty for the benefit of our collective "security". Ben Franklin is rolling in his grave.
Also, EVERY phone and computer in America is tapped. There's a little program called "ECHELON" running on a supercomputer in Maryland (or Virgina... I forget which) at the NSA's HQ that monitors all communications into or out of the USA for "terrorist" activity.
The Gestapo is alive and well in the US... we just like to call them "Homeland Security".
When they try to take our firearms, they'll have their eyes opened for them. Maybe the rest of the world will open their eyes as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Well, let's do some back-of-the-envelope calculations to figure out approximately how much data that is. Considering all the cell phones in the United States:

There were 2.1 teraminutes of total call time in 2007. [1]

High-quality voice encoding is about 12.65 kilobits/second. [2]

There's 60 seconds/minute, and 8 bits/byte.

So:

2.1 Tmin/year * 60 sec/min * 12.65 Kbit/sec / 8 bit/byte =

199 T*K bytes/year = 199,000 terabytes/year = 199 petabytes/year

Which is a lot of data. Still, not really that much, when you have lots of money to spend on toys like this:

HP reveals petabyte storage for enterprises

Edit: Units

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok you can color me paranoid, but I hear weird clicks and a hollow echo sometimes when talking on the phone...makes me wonder why are they listening to me? I like weird topics sure...that's it, nothing else, so I dont see any reason to listen in on my conversations, but I have heard those clicks and noises still.

Could be my junky wireless phone though. POS.

I was in da navy and worked in propulsion on an A/C carrier and you had to have clearance for that...maybe I 'made a list' somewhere in some 3 letter agency...IDK. But who knows? LOL

I always wanted to say some 'Red Flag' words and see if anybody is listening but 'Ima skeert to'! LOL.

I saw a preview for a new movie about some normal people who get their lives Hijacked by some rogue all seeing, all invasive Group or Agency and it looked totally intense called Eagle Eye check it out, (shiver) makes a normal guy like me think there are people out there who tap my phone, ahhh hold on I got a phone call...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
We have entered a age where the citizen doesn't have any secrets from the government but the government has a ton of secrets from us citizens so we may never know just how widespread this governmental wiretapping program is.

Who knew that the right of privacy would be such a threat to our collective security.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Yeah, I am sure the government has the manpower or the gigabytes needed to monitor that many phone calls.

Manpower, no. Gigabytes, easily.

The truth is "wiretapping", or listening live to a conversation, would only apply to persons of "special interest".
All electronic communications, phone, internet and even UHF radios and the like, are digitally recorded and logged. If they wanted to listen to your conversations from the last 10 years, it would be as simple as double clicking a file icon.

[edit on 13/7/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure my home phone isn't tapped because I don't have one.

I do, however, have a cell phone, and I've been quite surprised to read posts here on ATS that say 'they' can hear through my cell phone even when it's turned off, let alone when it's not in use.
I really doubt they'll get much off that though, because the mic doesn't seem to work very well even when I'm holding it up to my face, and I usually keep it inside a case and then inside my purse.

I do have a somewhat relevant question, though. If all of our electronic communications (such as email, IM, message board and forum posts, etc.) are monitored, why do so many Americans dare to post here on ATS? Aren't you concerned about becoming a target, or a "person of interest?"

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
If all of our electronic communications (such as email, IM, message board and forum posts, etc.) are monitored, why do so many Americans dare to post here on ATS? Aren't you concerned about becoming a target, or a "person of interest?"

Bah. Where does that line of thought end? First, worry about the post office opening mail (which they did, in the 70's). Then, your phone line tapped. Then, security cameras watching you everywhere in public. Then, secretly activated cell-phone mics.

Where does it end? In fear and paranoia, that's where!

Best just to assume that every word spoken, every action taken, no matter where -- is recorded and analyzed, and carry on regardless. It's the only way to remain un-paranoid.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Good, please tell all the other illegal imigrants how bad it is in our country and maybe that will deter them.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
First of all, let's establish that wiretapping is sooooo last decade. Why? Well, let's just look at a couple of items from the news.

Former AT&T technician Mark Klein has come forward to support the EFF's lawsuit against AT&T for its alleged complicity in the NSA's electronic surveillance.

In January 2003, I, along with others, toured the AT&T central office on Folsom Street in San Francisco -- actually three floors of an SBC building. There I saw a new room being built adjacent to the 4ESS switch room where the public's phone calls are routed. I learned that the person whom the NSA interviewed for the secret job was the person working to install equipment in this room. The regular technician work force was not allowed in the room....Based on my understanding of the connections and equipment at issue, it appears the NSA is capable of conducting what amounts to vacuum-cleaner surveillance of all the data crossing the internet -- whether that be peoples' e-mail, web surfing or any other data.

www.wired.com

and

From the ALCU Lawuite over FISA The law challenged here supplies none of the safeguards that the Constitution demands. It permits the government to monitor the communications of U.S. Citizens and residents without identifying the people to be surveilled; without specifying the facilities, places, premises, or property to be monitored; without observing meaningful limitations on the retention, analysis, and dissemination of acquired information; without obtaining individualized warrants based on criminal or foreign intelligence probable cause; and, indeed, without even making prior administrative determinations that the targets of surveillance are foreign agents or connected in any way, however tenuously, to terrorism.

ACLU Filing

What this means is that:

1.The technology exists for to enable the NSA or other government agencies to “vacuum” up every scrap of communications within the US and to be used however they want.
2.Based on whistle blower testimony, this has been done with Telco collusion for years.
3.FISA is intended to provide immunity to Telcos for these sort of acts – essentially legalizing (along with the Patriot act and others) total surveillance of all people in the US.

But, as several posters have already pointed out – that's a lotta data! In fact there is so much data that you can collect, but you can't listen to it all no matter how many people you have.

What you do is automate the process. You data mine looking for incriminating patterns of calls, or clusters of activity. You mine the voice and data for keywords and specific voices and accents. And you use other intelligence to set up those patterns. Old style wiretaps come into play when you want a body listening in real time.

There's no need to tap your phone when they can tap the whole phone exchange. Doesn't matter is you are suspected of anything, as soon as you fit a pattern or profile, or as soon as you do something that trips an alert, you get “special” treatment.

More in next post

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
About 10 or so years ago, I worked at a company that did AI work and was funded, as many companies were that the time, through military research grants. I was asked to sit in on a meeting as a scientific consultant with some representatives from the government and a major defense contractor.

At that time, certain agencies were recording every cellular phone call made in the US. Apparently at the time, and perhaps they still are, cell calls were considered broadcasts as opposed to private communications and if you could pick it up, you could record it. Of course now that they had this incredible amount of data, they realized that they had no way to listen to all the calls. The original motivation for this was that many drug dealers were using cell phones and it was thought that listening in on them might give the war on drugs a leg up. Or at least that was what I was told.

The visitors asked if we could adapt one of our research project to listen to all these hours of phone calls and zero in on the ones that had the words “coc aine” or “drug deal” in them. I told them that we could do that, but the only problem was that drug dealers do not say those words when setting up a drug deal. They'll saw something like “It's my birthday and I was wondering if you could bake me a cake.”

Apparently taken by surprise, one of the government types made a phone call to an associate at the DEA who confirmed what I had told him. So he asked me then if I could modify the project to listen for the words that really meant coc aine. I wanted to say yes with visions of massive amounts of research funding available, but the CEO of our company started laughing so hard at their request that the visitors stormed out never to be seen again.

As a private citizen, there are very effective ways of dealing with being wiretapped which everyone should practice if they want to stay off the DHS watch lists.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by metamagic]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No one is listening, except for a few people.

What is scary, is every call is stored into a giant database, that can be accessed for later reference. Every e-mail. Every internet post.

I have a buddy in the army who knows a guy who deals with this stuff. If you type a message that has certain words in it, whether it is a ats post or e-mail, you get into a special database. And believe you me they are paying close attention to what you say.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
My father used to live in Singapore, they recorded EVERY phone conversation. A person who he worked with, his son was making calls to a sex line, the man received his phone bill and asked about the phone company about the calls to the sex lines as his son denied it. The phone company sent him recordings of every call his son had made. This was 10 years ago, the technology now is way advanced and its possible to store and record every call, email, sms etc. Key words are also scanned for, this is real and it is happening.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

The NAS run echelon and that monitors all phone call in the rest of the world the only ones that don’t have there phone taped with out a court order are the citizens of the USA.

So you think you have it bad. Don’t believe me look it up.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan

Good, please tell all the other illegal imigrants how bad it is in our country and maybe that will deter them.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

that's without paying all taxes, fees and other stuff.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join