It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska Volcano Erupts With Little Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Alaska Volcano Erupts With Little Warning

www.foxnews.com

The Okmok Caldera erupted late Saturday morning, just hours after seismologists at the Alaska Volcano Center began detecting a series of small tremors.

The explosion flung an ash cloud at least 50,000 feet high, said geophysicist Steve McNutt.

Okmok is 60 miles west of the busy fishing port of Dutch Harbor on Unalaska Island. Ash was reported falling in the region, McNutt said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This came out of the blue. A small series of tremors, then boom, 50,000 foot ash cloud with pumice raining down. Just goes to show how unpredictable these things can sometimes be.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Now we can look forward to a new reality series called "Deadliest Ash"

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just as a replay to the title of the thread, the government has not thought of a way to take freedom away from the volcanoes, yet.

In case you want some more information.
volcano watch

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
Now we can look forward to a new reality series called "Deadliest Ash"

VERY good! I watched the series too, and indeed it was the first thing I thought of when I read ´Dutch Harbor´. I guess the emperor crab fishing business just got a little MORE dangerous!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Just as a replay to the title of the thread, the government has not thought of a way to take freedom away from the volcanoes, yet.

That's probably because they are focusing all of their efforts into finding a way to tax volcanic eruptions.

Nice find Icarus. I sure hope the yellowstone caldera gives more warning than this one did before it goes boom...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The latest update today gave a few more details on the caldera and this latest eruption.

The volcano erupted at 11:43 a.m. and reached peak activity about two hours later, said Cyrus Read, a geophysicist with the Alaska Volcano Observatory, which has several seismic stations on the Okmok Caldera. The Okmok Caldera contains more than a dozen volcanic cones. Scientists weren't sure which cone exploded Saturday.

One of the observatory's seismic stations that was placed at the rim of the volcano likely was destroyed in the explosion, Read said. Several others stations were functioning Sunday.

"It continues at this time," Read said. "It is a pretty solid plume."

source

There is a small village on the windward side of the island that hasn't been affected by the ash as of yet.

There is a small Aleut village, Nikolski, that is also located on the other side of Umnak Island. That village of about 40 people is to the west of Okmok Volcano and out of the southeasterly path of the ash cloud.

source

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So much volcanic activity in the Arctic and right down the western seaboard of the Americas. I sure hope people realise there are many forces at work at this is not just man made climate change.

top topics

join