It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dying is forbidden in the Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Why dying is forbidden in the Arctic

news.bbc.co.uk

It is forbidden to die in the Arctic town of Longyearbyen.

Should you have the misfortune to fall gravely ill, you can expect to be despatched by aeroplane or ship to another part of Norway to end your days.

And if you are terminally unlucky and succumb to misfortune or disease, no-one will bury you here.

The town's small graveyard stopped accepting newcomers 70 years ago, after it was discovered that the bodies were failing to decompose.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
How bizarre! The article states that scientists recently found tissue from a mans body containing traces of the influenza virus which killed him in 1917.

Do you suppose those samples could be used for military bio-warfare purposes?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Before reading your linked info, I was thinking it was because the bodies wouldn't decompose. I saw a special the other day about an arctic expedition where they were finding corpses of seals and what not that had been dead for a long time and other than turning leathery and emaciated, they weren't decomposing. Super dry and cold climate.

Weird stuff though.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm totally buying land there to be buried on against the towns wishes... i'll put the land in trust with a law firm and dump my arse there when I croak..

What a great and fantastic place to have a chance of being cloned or revived in the future.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Cruise Liners have a similar problem, as do some florida urbanizations.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Its just because its a giant freezer surely.However being viking types I thought they liked the funeral pyre style thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Somewhere in all of this lies an idea for a great movie. I can't stop thinking about it actually.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It's not vampires? Darn! I was really hoping it would be vampires!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone there knows about Cremation.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the most hygienic way of disposing the bodies off. Chances of germs surviving and spreading are nil and it does not take up precious land.

Millions in India and such countries practice this way. Attachment with dead bodies in western world is somewhat strange.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
I wonder if anyone there knows about Cremation.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the most hygienic way of disposing the bodies off. Chances of germs surviving and spreading are nil and it does not take up precious land.

Millions in India and such countries practice this way. Attachment with dead bodies in western world is somewhat strange.

Ohh god im going to get a mod bashing for going off topic...but really,i was having a convo with about 6 of my friends the other day...ALL! of them said they would not carry or take part in being a donor when they die..When i asked them why...they said its my body and i dont want people cutting it up when im *dead*

top topics

join