It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake-handling pastor arrested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Snake-handling pastor arrested

www.cnn.com

The pastor of a Kentucky church that handles snakes in religious rites was among 10 people arrested by wildlife officers in a crackdown on the venomous snake trade.

More than 100 snakes, many of them deadly, were confiscated in the undercover sting after Thursday's arrests, said Col. Bob Milligan, director of law enforcement for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.

Most were taken from the Middlesboro home of Gregory James Coots, including 42 copperheads, 11 timber rattlesnakes, three cottonmouth
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.localnews8.com

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This is kind of a bizzare story which is why I posted it. Snake handler churches do exist. I am sure the one listed here is not the only one. What I think will happen is there right to freedom of religion will be in question and in one way or another they will get there snakes back.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Here is some more information on Snake Handlers if any of you are interested.

Snake handling is a religious ritual in a small number of pentecostal churches in the U.S., usually characterized as rural and Holiness. Practitioners believe it dates to antiquity and quote the Book of Mark and the Book of Luke to support the practice:

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Mark 16:17-18
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Luke 10:19
wiki

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have a non-venemous snake, and I follow some reptile boards. While not all poisonous snake bites are fatal, some of the hot snake bites are truly incredibly bad.

I hope these pix will not scare anyone into doing anything cruel or stupid (like killing snakes they may find in their yards -- hopefully it will convince people to run away and leave them alone) but here is an example of a long time venomous snake owner with 24 years experience that got bit by one of their animals, a western diamondback. These guys typically don't "handle" their snakes at all, but accidents can happen.

He received immediate treatment with anti-venom and all that but the results were quite dire.

*Warning* graphic pictures:

www.reptielenopvang.nl...

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well to each there own for sure!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Intresting videos. While I honestly don't care if those people get bit I think they probably practice very very bad animal husbandry and I suspect the snakes they keep are kept in horrible conditions.

I don't approve of it at all. People can do what they like to themselves, but if they abuse kids or animals that is a different story. Those scenes are no doubt very frightening for the snakes involved, and the conditions they are kept in are pathetic.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks to both who posted the information

I also want to say that I think the point of the snake handler churches is that they will be protected from the venumes snakes.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Thanks to both who posted the information

I also want to say that I think the point of the snake handler churches is that they will be protected from the venumes snakes.

That maybe the case, and if one enters a state of spiritual delirium I do believe anything is possible (the Muslim Sufi mystics pass swords through their sides while in such states, I find that to be amazing). But I still doubt if they have ANY respect for the snakes.

And didn't they video say there were 40 or so deaths? I guess its like playing russian roullette, and letting God decide if one will enter heaven.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I don't know how many deaths there were but I suspect you are right that they may have little respect for the snakes.
On the flip side of the coin I also think if you have little respect for a venumos snake you are handling, you probably wont be handling to long.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Actually if they were smart they would invest in cobras. Cobra venon can cause euphoria in the bite victims (not always), just think of the spiritual jolt it would give the onlookers. It can deaden pain, relax the victim, cause them to see colors and such (rumor has it Cleopatra died that way).

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In the origional news sorce it did menchen several cobras.

As to Cleopatra to my memery she died from the bite of an Asp.

The ancient sources, particularly the Roman ones, are in general agreement that Cleopatra poisoned herself by inducing an asp to bite her. The oldest source is Strabo, who was alive at the time of the event, and might even have been in Alexandria. He says that there are two stories: that she applied a toxic ointment, or that she was bitten by an asp.[7] Several Roman poets, writing within ten years of the event, all mention bites by two asps,[8][9][10] as does Florus, a historian, some 150 years later.[11] Velleius, sixty years after the event, also refers to an asp.[12
wiki

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem As to Cleopatra to my memery she died from the bite of an Asp.

I believe asp and cobra are interchangeable in the ancient texts, an asp is a cobra. Also cobras were sacred to the Egyptian royal family. If she went that way (and it is debateabe) she would have had to have a couple of good bites, as they are not always fatal. She might have added poison in as well (she was a brilliant woman and knew plenty about chemistry).

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Both the points you made I did not know. The point about the chemistry is something I had never heard menchened before at all. Although I can see where a person in her position would be very well read.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Not to bump the thread up...lol... but regarding religious rights, well what do YOU think RedGolem?

Do you care if their odd practices buy them an express ticket to heaven? They did not mention any kids getting offed in these ceremonies so I am guessing children are not allowed to participate.

Would you love a front row seat to that type of show given the chance? Actually I would, except for the use of live animals.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I don't mind a bump up in the thread

As far as these old religious rights buying people a first class ride to heaven, that is not my decishen to make. I do believe to each there own.
I did not see any menchen of minors handling the snakes either so I do think they have enough sense not to let them do so. Although I would not be surprised if they had some non venomens snakes for the younger people.
As to partisapating in the ritual, no I don't think I would want to do that. I have gathered you are a lady who likes snakes. I got no problem with that. I like most animals, but prefer to see them in the wild at a reasonable distance.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Egyptian prisoners sentenced to death begged to be killed by cobra bite. It was actually a humane way to kill because cobra venom is loaded with opiates. Egyptians also believed that those who died by cobra bite became immortal.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I am a believer it is very clear in the bible. You can not believe part of the word and throw out the rest.Also there are thousands of us and very few deaths compared to the number of believers. My prayers are with Bro Coots in Kentucky. Also children are never allowed to handle and others are asked to go to the back of the church people are not put in danger EVER!!!!!People fear what they dont understand.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

There is a church in another city in my county that practices both snake handling and the drinking of arsnic. IMO they are out of their freakin minds to do this, and I do believe that is general concensus in this area, only a small congregation of members even exist and those are families who have passed down the practice. One pastor died after being bitten, even though he had suffered numerous bites over the years it still got him. Now his son pastor's that church, and he carries on the tradition, I believe they do it about 3 times a year. The town is called Kingston Ga, and the church and it's doings have been featured on several television shows. But please folks, don't think that is indicative of southern life, it is not something that is praciticed widely, very few of these types of churches exsist.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Finally, a small justice has been served for the reptilians from the religious humans. I don't understand why people would subject these live animals to that sort of humiliation for the sake of 'freedom of religion'.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

There is a church in another city in my county that practices both snake handling and the drinking of arsnic. IMO they are out of their freakin minds to do this, ]

I kind of got to agree with you on that statement. Snakes is one thing and arsenic is defently another.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join