It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France rejects veiled Muslim wife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

France rejects veiled Muslim wife

news.bbc.co.uk

A French court has denied citizenship to a Muslim woman from Morocco, ruling that her practice of "radical" Islam is not compatible with French values.

The 32-year-old woman, known as Faiza M, has lived in France since 2000 with her husband - a French national - and their three French-born children.

Social services reports said the burqa-wearing Faiza M lived in "total submission to her male relatives".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I won't comment if I think this ruling is right or wrong. I will repeat something to the effect that Hirsh Ally said, if I rember right it was, "if you don't want the level of freedom that we have here, don't come here." I think that statement may have some creedence in this case.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
All religious icons are banned in public, France has the toughest form of Separation of Church and State and the laws were changed back in 2003 (I think) to include wearing religious clothing or items in public.

The French believe you can be a Jew, Christian, Muslim et al in your home but you are apart of the French Republic outside.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I rember that being talked about also. I thought it was in public or government buildings, or just schools, something like that.
This is a case of rejecting citizenship though. If that becomes a standard I don't know how the people might respond to it.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
No, I believe it is in all forms of public life.

The veil is banned in most European countries, but France did not pass a law because their constitution covers it

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
France is having a LOT of problems with tensions between Muslim / Islamic citizens and native French citizens. My take on this is that the government is trying to prevent the introduction of 'extreme' members of the Muslim /Islamic nations into their country as a preventative measure.

As prejudice is already growing among the 'white' French allowing in more foreigners that could potentially 'stir the pot' is a bad idea. The French are known for not keeping quite (think protests) and as a man with a French wife please...just take my word for it.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Nice to see France act like it still has a pair. Been finally seeing similar actions from other European countries, too. Now, if the UK can just find theirs ...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
The French are known for not keeping quite (think protests) and as a man with a French wife please...just take my word for it.

Thanks for you comments and everyone else who is posting.
I agree the government could be trying to keep out more people who could be extremist. I'm not going to say it is a bad idea, I think it is probably wise. Again just don't know how the people might respond.

top topics

join