It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain’s Conservative Model? Roosevelt (Theodore)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/us/politics/13mccain.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1215939701-B37fEA9FV4UeD5poFtLLTg[ /url]

Senator John McCain in a wide-ranging interview called for a government that is frugal but more active than many conservatives might prefer. He said government should play an important role in areas like addressing climate change, regulating campaign finance and taking care of “those in America who cannot take care of themselves.”

“I count myself as a conservative Republican, yet I view it to a large degree in the Theodore Roosevelt mold,” Mr. McCain said, referring to Roosevelt’s reputation for reform, environmentalism and tough foreign policy.

Not a bad article for the NY Times...

I have said for a while, McCain is my faviorite liberial polotician...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

I have said for a while, McCain is my faviorite liberial polotician...

Fear not. McCain doesn't know what he's talking about. But what's new? He's still gun shy from his narrow escape in the Keating Five episode.

TR was a reformer. In an age that needed reform. Like 2008. Teddy was often called the Trust Buster. McCain hired Phil Gramm who earmarked Ken Lay and Enron into law. Do you really think McCain did not know that? No Trust Buster he!

TR did things he ought not to have done. Encouraged a renegade bunch of Columbians to break away and create Panama then lease it to the US to dig the Panama Canal. Where fate would have John McCain be born some years later, OUTSIDE the United States and therefore, NOT an Article 2 "natural born" citizen eligible for the high office he seeks. Yes he is and always was a citizen, by Act of Congress. But Congress cannot make him "natural born."

TR also proposed a national workers compensation law. TR proposed a minimum wage law. McCain has never EARNED a dollar outside his sinecure with the US Government. How that prepares him for managing a $3.3 t. enterprise I don't know? McCain spent 6 hard years in Hanoi Hilton just when his generation was taking to the streets over here protesting the Vietnam War. Maybe his not knowing about that is why he is so much enamored with WAR and has so little sympathy for the anti war feelings now showing here in America?

TR proposed a social security system for old age.

No Mr T/K/Z, I don't think McCain knows much about Teddy Roosevelt other than the popular story - and it is false - about him riding up San Juan Hill. McCain has nothing in common with Theodore Roosevelt. I also doubt he knows how the Bull Moose Party came to be so known. Or cares that TR's obstinacy "gave" the 1912 election to Democrat Woodrow Wilson. And the rest is history, they say.

John McCain is your typical Republican. Teddy Roosevelt definitely was NOT.

[edit on 7/13/2008 by donwhite]

join