It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Mason

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm 19 am I old enough to join? In the UK?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
I'm 19 am I old enough to join? In the UK?

It looks like UGLE requires you to be 21 but it may be a matter of local lodge policy.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Damn lol ok thanks for that anyway

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Im heading off into the field of architecture
and seeing that the masonry past dealt with architects, do you think that my lodge might have any interest in me?
*shrug* Not any more or less interest than anyone else who signs a petition. You might relate to some of the allegory from a different perspective, but that's about it.

Freemasonry upholds the "all men are equal" ideal. There are doctors, lawyers, and PhD physicists in my lodge. And there are cab drivers, karate teachers, plumbers and general contractors too. And no man is better or worse than any other in our eyes.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

i dunno if this is just me noticing this but, i have noticed that there are a lot of Martial Arts instructors in lodges all around. Maybe its because I'm a Martial Arts Instructor and i have been programmed to look for those kind of people but i know of many lodges who have Martial Arts teachers...kind weird egh?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Florida Lodges currently accept 18 year old men. It really is a matter of the state lodges.

BushidoMason, I've always noticed when I'm coming up with a example for Masonry, that karate serves as a pretty good example. That might have something to do with it.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason

i dunno if this is just me noticing this but, i have noticed that there are a lot of Martial Arts instructors in lodges all around. Maybe its because I'm a Martial Arts Instructor and i have been programmed to look for those kind of people but i know of many lodges who have Martial Arts teachers...kind weird egh?
I don't know... I think there's a certain personality type that has a lot of self-discipline. Such a type could be drawn to both interests. Likewise, personally I lack self-discipline, but it's a problem that I'm constantly trying to overcome in different ways, and I saw Masonic philosophy as one way I might be able to lifehack myself into better habits, or being more productive. Jury's still out on that one.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have a couple of questions;

1/ As a mason do you wish the group was more open and did away with the secrecy side of things?

2/ Do you, as a mason, believe there could be certain aspects of freemasonry that are kept secret from even it's own members?

3/ Do you recognise that a society with secrets may well contain secrets that even it's own members don't know about it? (I know this is similar to question 2 but what I'm trying to get is some acknowledgement that it may be true.)

Thanks for any replies.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason

Come to think of it...

We have at least four martial arts instructors in our regular meetings, which is usually 15-20 people.

Interesting...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
1/ As a mason do you wish the group was more open and did away with the secrecy side of things?

The 'secrecy side' teaches us to be trustworthy by not revealing any of the modes of recognition which were swore to uphold. Any Mason at any time may reveal these secrets but by doing so he becomes a failure to himself and his brothers.

Ones word is possibly the only thing a person has that is not bestowed upon them by others. You ethnicity, your employment, your very existence in this world was not of your choice. But you will always have your word and no one, except yourself, can take that away from you.

2/ Do you, as a mason, believe there could be certain aspects of freemasonry that are kept secret from even it's own members?

There are certain aspects of Masonry which are kept from its members. But a progression through the Blue Lodge degrees reveals all of these which are subsequently reinforced, if the particular Brother chooses to particpate in them, the appendant bodies.

3/ Do you recognise that a society with secrets may well contain secrets that even it's own members don't know about it? (I know this is similar to question 2 but what I'm trying to get is some acknowledgement that it may be true.)

I acknowledge that this may be possible but very unlikely if you are refering to a concerted or orchestrated effort. Can there be Masons who may form realtionships with other Masons that are not 'Masonic' in nature but have occured because of meeting each other in lodge? Certainly. But again, this is not a Masonic conspiracy.

There really is no avenue to persue this type of behavior during lodge. We are either discussing lodge business-charity, events, planning degrees, etc. Or putting on said degrees for candidates. There is no point where social or business networking can occur, let alone things of a more nefarious purpose.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Sweeet! thanks. Thats pretty cool if I do say so myself

because im not even a mason and yet I just learned something from another member. pretty cool

What I would like to know is how to they teach you to become a better person in life? do they:

1) show videos?
2)Lecture?
3) Make you read a book?

let me know thanks!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

ARE U WHATS KNOWN AS A LOWER LEVEL MASON? IF U DON'T MIND ME ASKING?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist1978
reply to post by emsed1

Haha! :-D

I am a "Middle Management Mason".

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What I would like to know is how to they teach you to become a better person in life? do they:

1) show videos?
2)Lecture?
3) Make you read a book?
There have been hundreds, if not thousands of books written about Freemasons...many written by Masons themselves, and almost all available to anyone, Mason or non-Mason, at regular bookstores, libraries, etc.

The degrees of Masonry enact allegories and explain a series of symbols, and those teachings can be applied to your everyday life.

An example, from the first degree...

The Twenty-Four Inch Gauge

Is an instrument made use of by operative Masons to measure and lay out their work. But we, as Free and Accepted Masons, are taught to make use of it for the more noble and glorious purpose of dividing our time. It being divided into twenty-four equal parts, is emblematical of the twenty-four hours of the day; which we are taught to divide into three parts, whereby we find a portion for the service of God and a distressed worthy brother; a portion for our usual vocations, and a portion for refreshment and sleep.

—The Monitor of the Lodge, Grand Lodge of Texas A.F. & A.M.

So I was told that during my initiation... my first night as a Mason. And it stuck with me... make use of your time, balance it as best you can, strive for an equilibrium. Of course its common sense, and it's nothing particularly mindblowing or esoteric, but it resonated with me and where I am with my life. Maybe I'm spending too much of my day on only one aspect of my life and neglecting others? I fill a lot of roles. I'm a father, a son, a husband, an employee, a student, a teacher, a friend, and probably lots more. Some of those are easier to neglect than others...

Of course, to someone else, it could be a worthless piece of advice. I can only offer it as I received it, and let you make that decision for yourself.

[edit on 2/10/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Are you in the masons in order to infiltrate lol? I've always read how the masons are corrupt etc and are the start to the NWO so I just wondered why you joined if you don't mind me asking?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
Are you in the masons in order to infiltrate lol? I've always read how the masons are corrupt etc and are the start to the NWO so I just wondered why you joined if you don't mind me asking?

It seems you've read only the writings of the enemies of Masonry. Why not read the actual writings of Masons, or of unbiased non-Masons?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

reply to post by emsed1

Haha! :-D

I am a "Middle Management Mason".

'Middle management Mason'.......that means nothing 2 me

are u part of? lets say:
The Knight of the Rose Croix,
The Holy Royal Arch,
The York Rite/The Scottish Rite,
The Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite,
The Knights of Malta etc etc

My Questions 2 u

1)What does the symbolism of the white gloves mean?
2) What does Mount Hermon mean 2 u?........
cheers

[edit on 10'2/2009 by surrealist1978]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

'Middle management Mason'.......that means nothing 2 me
are u part of? lets say:
The Holy Royal Arch,

My Questions 2 u
cheers

[edit on 10'2/2009 by surrealist1978]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

are u part of? lets say:
The Holy Royal Arch,

The Knights Rose Croix are a part of the Scottish Rite. The Royal Arch and Knights of Malta are parts of the York Rite.

My Questions 2 u

cheers

I can't speak for him, but gloves are not used as part of official Masonic dress in my jurisdiction. They are used in some others, especially in Europe.

As for me, I've always seen Mt. Hermon as a prototype of Heredom.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join