It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Mason

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thank you for the input.
Yes, I'm ware it's my own choices, but at the same time my mom's fury is...
Biblical.
Since Masonry does hold so much on family, it's pretty much why I'm asking, it's one of the main things about the Fraternity that bugs me, 'cause trying to do that and keeping my membership from my mother seems contradictory.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I think I'd have to side more with LLM than JN on this one (although JN's not wrong). In Masonry, your family, your friends and your work must come before Masonry in your life. Only you can know whether your mother might soften her stance some if introduced to a Mason who could address her concerns and set her at ease. If you don't think that could happen, then I'd suggest you not join Masonry until and unless your life is more your own. The last thing the fraternity should be is a wedge between parent and child.

HTH
Fitz

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I asked these almost a month ago, are they too hard?

Q1, Do any married masons find the oath they take regarding secrecy a problem in relation to the level of intimacy they can offer their wife on any issue relating to masonry.

Q2, Does masonry tolerate any level of drug taking. If not, why not.

Q3, Which branch of masonry is involved with the teaching of esoteric knowledge and ancient wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Just a bunch of random thoughts on multiple different posts....

1.) Prince Hall masonry is considered Clandestine masonry by most blue lodges, that said it also has no governing body what this means is there are many Prince Hall lodges that likely have work about indentical to a blue lodge, and as such have even been taken in by Grand lodges and seen as equals in some areas, North Carolina for example. Then again i too have heard the troubling events from the German Prince halls who even had a death at one of their degrees. (this is simply not possible if one adheres to the true degrees, this isn't a gang or a college frat) They are clearly clandestine, and I don't care what they call themselves they are NOT masons. That said, Some of the finest men I have met have been Prince Hall masons, and have the same rituals pretty much as us. There's no quality control though, it varys from lodge to lodge. I've also noticed since they do seem to be cut off from any oversite alot of bizarre myths have sprung up, and many good men teach and learn things that have no origin in Masonry.) I really wish this family could be reunited, but it would require they be willing to give up their own rituals, and come back to the original work of the blue lodge....and they hate to give up their traditions now that wrong or right have been passed down. A shame, all because of bigotry hundreds of years ago.

All blue lodges in the United States and England are subject to more strict rules, A Grand Lodge always looks out for deviation in ritual or work....your not to change an adjective or single letter in the work, and your tested yearly. Other clandestined lodges include The Grand Orient of France which ceased to be recognized and is a clandestine lodge the moment it turned it's back on God in the 1800's, it also has lodges in the Americas, but is not offcially recognized by regular masons, nor do we hold masonic communication with them. To the outsider this must be confusing, but you must remember just because someone "says" they are a mason, and even if they go to a lodge that "says" they are masons, that doesn't mean they are....many clandestine groups meet all over. It's not like a franchise we can't sue them for using the name even if they misuse it in all sorts of ways. This is a huge PR problem because clandestine lodges often give Masons a bad name.

2.)

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Q1, Do any married masons find the oath they take regarding secrecy a problem in relation to the level of intimacy they can offer their wife on any issue relating to masonry.

Q2, Does masonry tolerate any level of drug taking. If not, why not.

Q3, Which branch of masonry is involved with the teaching of esoteric knowledge and ancient wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

A. NO, but my wife is the daughter of a Mason, and her mother was Eastern Star...
This really depends on the wife more then masonry....usually we do ask if a candidate has the support of their spouse...if your spouse can't support you then it's better you stick to working on your marriage then become a mason.

B. Someone may correct me on this but Masonry doesn't really speak to drug use one way or another. However it does speak to being a criminal, so while it may not speak to it, obviously a convicted drug user may be unable to join, or a mason who got into such trouble might be suspended. Ultimately the simple rule is obey the law. So George Washington could smoke canibus, but if it's illegal in your area, you can't, tough luck. Change the laws.

C. At the center of all branches and from the first degree is a holy book which is 99% of the time in America and England the Holy Bible or Torah. I can think of no better source of esoteric knowledge and ancient wisdom. I realize that answer may be a source of dissappointment for some, if you do not think this is a valid source of ancient wisdom, you'll be sorely dissappointed with Masonry.

[edit on 14/10/2008 by ForkandSpoon]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on being the wife of a mason. My husband spoke to someone about being interested in becoming a mason and we've been invited to an informal dinner this Sunday and it was stressed, to my husband, that it was important that I attend.

Both of us are very interested in charity, history, philosophy, etc, so I have no problem at all with him becoming a mason but I'm curious about what I, as the wife, can expect at this informal dinner gathering.

Also, I study Kabbalah and I've recently been researching freemasonry (for obvious reasons) and have noticed that some of it cross references. As Kabbalah isn't a religion can anyone tell me more about how the two might intertwine, if they do? Obviously, there's so much disinformation about both freemasonry so I'm not even sure if Kabbalah does play a role or if they do intertwine.

Are there any freemason wives on here? I'd love to hear from freemason wives and get a wife's perspective.

Any information specifically relevant to Emulation Freemasonry would also be very welcome.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
Both of us are very interested in charity, history, philosophy, etc, so I have no problem at all with him becoming a mason but I'm curious about what I, as the wife, can expect at this informal dinner gathering.
I would expect at such a dinner you will meet a small handful of Masons, and perhaps their spouses... depends on the nature of the gathering. Likely they're including you so that if you have any questions or misconceptions, they can set your mind at ease before your husband embarks on his metaphorical journey.

Also, I study Kabbalah and I've recently been researching freemasonry (for obvious reasons) and have noticed that some of it cross references. As Kabbalah isn't a religion can anyone tell me more about how the two might intertwine, if they do?
Well Masonry isn't a religion either, so there's no reason they'd be at odds with each other. There really isn't anything particularly Kabbalistic in the Blue Lodge degrees... On the other hand, depending on where you are in the world there can be some Kabbalah, Gematria and tree-of-life stuff in some of the Scottish Rite degrees. I believe this may only be the case in the Scottish Rite Southern Jurisdiction, as at one point one of my northern brethren seemed really confused when I mentioned it. Appendant bodies like the Scottish Rite, the York Rite and the Shriners are things your husband may choose to join after he's been raised to the degree of Master Mason.

Any information specifically relevant to Emulation Freemasonry would also be very welcome.
It is my understanding that most modern Masonry is Emulation Ritual, in that it attempts to preserve the specifics of the UGLE. I've also heard mention of Traditional Observation lodges, but I've never experienced them myself. My understanding is that the structure is far more rigid and formal than most modern Masonry. The idea is to go back to the "old ways" of doing things, and perhaps also from a more scholarly angle. (I believe in some TO lodges it is required for a candidate to give a paper or presentation on a topic before he can progress to the next degree, but I'm not certain about that.)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Thank you for replying so quickly to my questions.

I mentioned about Kabbalah not being a religion, because most people often think it is, much like they accuse freemasonry of being a religion.

I will see what information I can find about UGLE but if you have any links to good information please post them.

I'd like to learn as much as possible before the dinner, on Sunday. I'm not sure what to expect and don't want to appear unknowledgeable and as if I haven't even bothered to look in to freemasonry but there is so much information to look through.

That would lead me on to thanking the person that started this thread. It's good to have somewhere to come and actually 'ask a mason.'

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

My advice assumes this is a regular "mainstream" lodge. If its a regular "traditional observance" lodge then things could be different, and if its a irregular or clandestine lodge I'm not sure what to tell you. But, assuming this is a normal lodge:

There is really no expectation that you be that knowledgeable on the subject of freemasonry. Assuming that this dinner is being used as the opportunity to interview your husband, the committee is primarily looking at intention here - why he wants to join and your thoughts about it. As the wife of a mason they have to make sure you will be supportive, because they do not want to create a rift in the family by having a husband join the lodge and the wife not like it. If its an active/large lodge they might also want you and him to join the Order of the Eastern Star.

Of course, learning is always a good thing, so if you want a good book just to learn general things about the fraternity "Freemasonry for Dummies" is actually, despite the title, very well written. Also, you may want to learn what your against in terms of anti-masonic theories. You can find a good online general introduction to the objections you will run into from others at www.masonicinfo.com.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

I'll see the "Freemasonry for Dummies" and raise you "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry." They both cover a lot of the same elements, but they're both written by well respected Masonic authors.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I would like to join but I have no recommendations of getting in.

I've came across many masonry within 2 years and they haven't truly answered my question to perfection that i can easily say "okay" or "ahhh...i understand now"

so can you please tell me, since I have no one to get me a recommendation, how can i join?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

I'll see the "Freemasonry for Dummies" and raise you "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry." They both cover a lot of the same elements, but they're both written by well respected Masonic authors.

Just curious, but have you had the chance the article by Joshua Gunn in the latest edition of "Heredom", from the Scottish Rite Research Society?

Brother Gunn scolds both books pretty roundly (especially Hodapp's). If you don't have the book, you can read the essay here:

www.scottishrite.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I would like to join but I have no recommendations of getting in.

I've came across many masonry within 2 years and they haven't truly answered my question to perfection that i can easily say "okay" or "ahhh...i understand now"

so can you please tell me, since I have no one to get me a recommendation, how can i join?

You can simply call your local lodge and they would be happy to talk to you.

Usually they will ask you to come up and meet them and then whoever you talk to at the lodge will do a recommendation.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just thought I'd check in and let you know that he passed the first vote. We've been to a few social functions and everyone is great and I'm really appreciating a whole new circle of friends.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
Just thought I'd check in and let you know that he passed the first vote. We've been to a few social functions and everyone is great and I'm really appreciating a whole new circle of friends.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Very cool!

If you have any questions feel free to ask or U2U.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I was a DeMolay back in the day, but I now live a far distance from where I joined.

All I did was drive down to the lodge one day and talk to some of the guys there. After a few minutes of chatting they were more than happy to sign a recommendation.

That was 3 months and two visits from the investigations committee ago.

Just got my letter today and my EA degree is the 24th.

To say I'm excited is an understatement.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cogburn

Congratulations and welcome! May you have a fantastic journey!

A small tip for your initiation...
Whatever happens, do NOT let go of the goat!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Woooow...

That one is really old.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cogburn

It may be old, but don't say I didn't warn you...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Congratulations to those who are starting the journey into Freemasonry.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hi, now im not a mason but I have a question thats been wondering around in my head;

Im heading off into the field of architecture
and seeing that the masonry past dealt with architects, do you think that my lodge might have any interest in me?

I always had a interest since I was 18...2 years later now I want to join more then ever.

I just want to have a "pre" hmmm i guess the word im looking for is; a word of assurance?

please let me know. If i can be a benefit to the masons im all for it

new topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join