It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Mason

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by luckycuban
reply to post by lost in the midwest

Well if you're susceptible to the general population, that doesn't make Masons that great of an elitist sect/cult/brotherhood now does it?

I think that's sort of the point. Freemasonry is neither elitist, a sect or cult.

Whether it's a great brotherhood is in the eye of the beholder. I think those who are masons would agree that it's great.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 360Degrees

MemoryShock is going to send you an U2U and also set us up a thread in the next day or so.

If you go to MemCenter you can see if you have any U2U messages.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Will pick up with you tomorrow. It's been "enlightening". Looking forward to so much more

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Got it. Will check in the morning. Looking forward to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 360Degrees

As I just read the thread, I didn't see anything like that at all. Perhaps you can direct me? All I saw were people saying that the racism once present in masonry is gone completely in most places, and ending the near of its life in those few other places where it still resides. Prince Hall itself was also racist at one point in time, but it is no longer so.

Also if your going to continue to claim that your a member of some uber-secret-powerful organization that is soooooo much better than masonry, and then not tell us what it is, you should know it hurts your argument - because it makes it look like your making it up.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Never mind. Nothing to see here.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Fitzgibbon]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As a Mason can you explain the genocide of the Native Americans?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by clg79

As that has absolutely nothing to do with masonry...no.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 360Degrees
See, while I keep my comments on the GENERAL way Masonry has operated, you choose to personally attack?

I didn't consider that to be an attack...nor was it intended as such. If you feel attacked, I apologize. I'm a brutally honest person and speak my mind openly.

How do you know what I know?

I don't have a clue what you know, but you can't POSSIBLY know EVERYTHING. None of us do. Therefore it's possible for you to learn something. That goes for me too. I learn every day and I have learned MUCH from Freemasonry. Where and what you learn is up to you, but there's no need to hate Freemasonry just because you feel it has nothing to offer you. Perhaps it doesn't. Some people aren't even capable of understanding Masonry and there's nothing wrong with that. It was never meant for everyone.

If you feel Masonry has so much to teach--let the class begin. Why hide your teachings/philosophy/beliefs?

We do not hide, nor have we EVER hidden our teachings, philosophy, etc. Masonic books, writings, teachings, and so forth are EVERYWHERE and in just about every language. One need not be a Mason to read them.

And I'm not talking about the "Wikpedia" stuff everyone wants to direct me to (unbelievable---Wikpedia, yeah right). Teach me what you think I don't know--

Not the point. The point was you said Masonry couldn't teach you anything and I simply disagree. You may know MUCH about Masonry, but you don't know everything about it, therefore there is something you could learn, if you were so inclined.

As far as your "let the class begin" comment above, why SHOULD I teach you something about Masonry? Why SHOULD the class begin?

Why shouldn't YOU put forth some effort to learn for yourself? There are plenty of hand-outs in this world, but learning the TRUTH about Freemasonry takes effort. Effort on the part of the student and much more effort on the part of the instructor.

If you were willing to work for it, I (and many other Masons) would gladly do anything necessary to help you learn.

I don't think you want to though, and that's OK. Many folks don't. Again, Masonry is not for everyone.

once class begun you'd be suprised at what I could teach YOU

You're probably right. Everyone can learn something. But I'd put my 20+ years of devoted study of Freemasonry up against just about anybody, including some well-known Masonic Authors, so if you want to form a debate as to who knows more about Masonry--you or me--you'd better pack a lunch.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by senrak]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Curious minds would like to know the following:

How could someone tell if a person is a Mason?
What should a person look for besides those weird hand signals – mannerism, clothing, speech, etc…?
Would friends of a Mason be entitled to other Masonic ‘ties’?

One might look for men of high moral character. Men who do not and will not take the Lord's name in vain, and likely will apologize if doing so in passion. Men who prefer not to speak bad about others, but rather try and bring understanding and peace to dissension in either a community or the workplace.

You might look for men who do not fear death, as much as they fear losing intregrity. You might look for men who as a matter of course show respect to strangers, and their wives and animals. Who tend to fly to the aid of those in need, as best they can. The masonic world view detests all that is cruel, and compassionless.

Not all masons always live up to all of the higher ideals of masonry, but most masons do try, as they are reminded of the short time they have available to do so.

As for friends of masons being entitled to "ties", if ties may mean friendship, then surely. If I am unable to help a desrving friend in need, my first recourse would to ask a brother if they might do so. Frienship and charity is not only extended to brother masons, but to all men in real need. I have been called by a non mason friend in a bad situation before, I was not able to get to him, one call to a brother and his wants were relieved.....and I was grateful to him and will return the favor if ever given the opportunity.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Just a quick note to say that my replies to questions on this board only reflect my own opinions, and other Masons are welcome to jump in with their 2¢ at any time. (I just happen to be online at the moment, so I'm doing my best to take 'em as I see 'em...)

There's no central governing body over Masonry; therefore there's no official voice of Masonry -- no spokesmen who speak for all of us. So the posts of any brother are their own. We each come to Masonry bringing our own experiences and baggage, and we each get out of it something different, so don't be surprised if I mention the presence of esoteric symbology and Rockpuck (for instance) doesn't. It's not that either of us are right or wrong, just that each of us is on our own journey even though we're both traveling men.

So very well put. Everyone wants to toss conspiracy theory into the mix when answers come out different or opinions vary but this reply shows exactly the one thing that the average reader does not think about. It is to different men, many different things and each gets from it his own experiences, benefits etc. The members come from many walks of life but in masonry they are all equal.

I see a lot of people asking or pointing at the secrecy of masonry. They feel that if it has a secret it must be bad or lead to some life changing event or have to do with overthrowing governments. It would take the average person 10 - 15 mins to find all the secrets but no mason will ever tell you what they are, simply because they vowed not to do so.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by luckycuban
reply to post by lost in the midwest

Well if you're susceptible to the general population, that doesn't make Masons that great of an elitist sect/cult/brotherhood now does it?

Never claimed to be. We are simple folk trying to find a better path to follow. Its all about trying to become a better person. Those who think that we have dark secrets or amazing knowlege have missed the mark completely. It takes a lot of effort to change and ever more to take a real hard look at oneself. It is not about reliegon, its about learning who you realy are and how to learn to be happy with yourself.
Remeber these our my own opinons. I would never claim to speek for all of the members of Freemasonry

One of these days I might even learn to type and spell, One can hope

[edit on 18-7-2008 by lost in the midwest]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 360Degrees

Centuries??? NOW I challenge YOU to present YOUR proof. Centuries?? The country is "officially" only a little over 200 years old itself. And trust me, the centuries prior to that, African-Americans spents in the fields, not cozying up in anyone's lodge. Come on, lets be civilized and rational here. Must you continue to insult everyone's intelligence? See everyone? See how even when faced with raw, undeniable truth, they still attempt to blind you? I know it must anger you that I will not, and cannot, be cajoled into believing any of this foolishness you perpetuate. And this is just scratching the surface (the issue of exclusion and prevalent racism).

"The first Scottish Rite organization among African-Americans was the African Grand Council of 1820 in Philadelphia, which was referred to as a Council of Princes of Jerusalem."

Source

1820 was about 2 centuries ago. Perhaps you should take your foot out of your mouth before attempting to speak.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by clg79

Masonry doesn't have anything to do with any Native American genocide...but there are plenty of native Americans involved in Freemasonry. Chief Joseph Brant was a Mason, for example, and Brother Albert Pike was made an honorary chief in recognition of the work he did in behalf of various Native American tribes. Also see this link.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Masonic Light]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost in the midwest

Those who think that we have dark secrets or amazing knowlege have missed the mark completely.

After reading all of you gentlemen's replies regarding esoterica, I am now absolutely convinced that none of you ATS Masons has access to or utilises any dark secrets or have access to amazing dark knowledge. Wether or not some people may have in your organization or be affiliated in some way to your organization is, I concede, possibly a seperate matter. After all there's no point in asking the cow how milk is turned into cheese, it simply doesn't know.

I wish to say that I now believe you. I accept your explanations. You have completely convinced me now that none of the ATS Masons have dark powers. And as such none of the ATS Masons are a threat, or have the power to be a threat, individually, to anyone. I now accept you are completely harmless. I apologise for thinking you had powers, and knowledge, which it is clear to me now, you do not. I concede that I was basing my assumptions on a very minute and darkly skilled section of people.

ATS Mason's are completely spiritually powerless. I accept your explanations that prove to me the previous statement.

Thankyou emsed1 for a great post, and good luck with your research into the 33rd degree.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm sorry If I'm repeating a question that has already been answered but I am wondering why women are not accepted as Free Masons - I would really enjoy the long answer/ i.e spiritual reasoning for this.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Another question:

I understand that there is no higher degree than Master Mason, and degrees obtained in appendant bodies like the York Rite and Scottish Rite do not mean that these degree holders are higher than Blue Lodge Master Masons, but don't these degrees go more in-depth of the three Blue Lodge degrees?

In other words (because I know that was confusing), aren't Scottish Rite members more knowledgeable of the EA, FC, and MM degrees than non-Scottish Rite members?

I'm not asking to stir up more controversial questions, it's just something that hit me when I was looking at the Scottish Rite website. I'm petitioning my local main lodge next month and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before then.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mahilum

Theoretically, yes. The side degrees build on the blue lodge degrees. However, because the Scottish/York rite degree process is so quick its hard to really be that much more knowledgeable unless you take the time to study them on your own. And since all the ritual is available and open for purchase (by anyone, mason or non-mason), its quite possible to know more about the Scottish Rite through studying the ritual than going through the degrees. Its also quite possible for a 32nd degree to have almost no idea about his degrees if hes never studied them.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is my first post at ATS.

I gotta say, after reading through this thread, I'm bummed. I keep hearing about a "New World Order" and how they are taking over the world and enslaving everyone. Well, I figured the smart thing to do would be to join the winning team. After all the sinister stuff I've read and heard about Freemasonry I thought for sure that would be my ticket in. I had visions of showing up at secret meetings, calling up ol' Satin with an incantation or two, sacraficing a lamb or goat, maybe even a child once or twice a year, and then plotting the overthrow of civilization or something. I figgered that if Dick Cheney was in town, maybe with that W guy that looks like a chimpanzee in tow, they would stop by the lodge and fill us in on how our nefarious schemes were going. For the first time in my life I would really be part of something important.

But after reading through this thread I am convinced that you masons ain't no great shakes, just a boring social club. Does anyone know how I can contact the Illuminatti? Or the mafia or Hells Angels?

Just kidding of course. I have just recently started researching some of this stuff and I am intrigued. I checked out the Rosicrucian AMORC website and that sounds VERY interesting. They seem to be oriented more toward the mystical side of things than the regular masons. I realize that they are a much smaller org. and probably wouldn't have a local chapter. Any masons here who are also rosicrucians? I would be interested in a comparison or the two.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

As masonry is not a religion there is no "spiritual" reason for it, because there is no spirituality in masonry. I realize people like to claim the two are seperate, but the point here is moot, as there is neither spirituality nor religion in masonry if you want to believe the two concepts are not linked.

The reason is that it is a fraternity, which means its a boys only club. Its the same reason why sororities admit women only. There are women and men who are not in mainstream lodges who have decided they want to be masons together and have formed their own lodges, some of which are women only and some of which admit men and women.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join