It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS Effect"? (Does it have you?)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
than if you find yourself no better, why label "them" as "asleep", and you as "awake"?

I disagree with the idea that labeling something as "different" means that you feel you are better. I am tall. Some people are short. It is a statement of a physical fact, not a judgment that it is better to be tall.

Sheeple has been a controversial word here on ATS lately, but are you really denying that some people go through life being lead like lambs to the slaughter with no questioning, no noticing what is going on? I see people like that. I dont judge them as bad, or dumb, or horrible, or whatever. I feel responsible for them to some degree. For whatever reason, they are asleep at the wheel. I dont care how they got that way, I dont care if they are morally responsible for that state, I DO care that they may drive off the road and kill someone. I wish they would wake up and save themselves and help save the rest of us too. I have no way of knowing what makes some people close their eyes and live in a fantasy world. I think it is because they are afraid of what is really going on. In my mind, that isnt deplorable, but rather is a very human response to scary #. However it seems to me that right now we need to face the scary # and deal with it, as the ignoring of it is a huge part of allowing it to continue to BE scary.

More on topic, I absolutely feel the "ATS" effect, but for me it started a few years before I found ATS. So my guess is we change and then what we are drawn to reflects that change. ATS could be anything, and some of it IS pretty crazy, some is downright silly. (in my opinion only, I am not the judge of all that is good and holy) The fact that at its heart it remains a real forum to deny ignorance is a testimony to all of us that post here, moderate, and keep the site up and running.

JSR

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

making a determination about someones awareness "being asleep", or acting like a "sheep". would be a subjective statement.

tall or short would be an objective statement.

to me there is a difference. however, i respect your opinion.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
my point is this.
when you choose.....yes choose....to see your self as different in class, as those who do not find your interest, well....iteresting, you mentally place those people under your "ability" to see "the truth". what does that getcha? what makes your lofty view of the world any better than say someone who likes the entertainment industry. (being as how that seems to be the industry of vhoice for denagration here)

Using objectivity, it probably does NOT make my "lofty view" any better than say someone who likes the entertainment industry. From my subjective perspective it does
. It is just a matter of interest. Yes, everyone has the right to their interests just as they have the right to find others who share in those same interests.

Point of this thread, I thought anyway, was trying to figure out, firstly why his interests had changed; secondly why the change of interest had severed some emotional attachment to those who are still of the former interest; and thirdly, are there more ppl who are experiencing the same transformation.. that is what I had gathered from it anyway.

you state im wrong eh? it would be like saying, your oranges are better than my apples. but eh, were still just trees here.

Yes, I did state you were wrong. We may still be trees, but some of us do produce a different fruit than others. To me, yes, I prefer my oranges to your apples

and when they talk about ryan seacrest....do you give them the same blank stares they give you? i wonder if they say the same things about you?

Well, he was an example, but in the context of what you are saying, pretty much. I am so far out of "the loop" with the personal lives of celebrities that I am
when ppl try to talk about them w/ me. And they could very well be saying the same things about me and in fact, I am sure they do

ahhh and you stumbled into my point.
where does that line have to be drawn? who chooses where that line is drawn? when the line is drawn, why does it never move?

when you choose to place people on the other side of your line, then you have choosen too. not them. they are who they are. and when you find your ina "society" full of "sheeple", just know, its a reality you have place apon your self.

so relax...and enjoy the "differences" *gasp* in people.

That "line" gets drawn w/in each persons own mind based on the individual's likes and dislikes.

Who said anything about it NOT moving? Obviously that is what has happened w/ quite a few ppl on this thread, thus the OP's point in making it.

No, typically "they" are who they are suggested to be. As far as "its a reality you have placed upon yourself," if I understood that correctly then I would respond "yes" and "no."

The world as I view it will ALWAYS be just that...... as I view it. I can't escape from subjectiveness, but I can try to gain some objectiveness to bring into my subject viewing thus expanding my viewing ability.

I very much enjoy "DIFFERENCES" in ppl which is why I tend to look outside this "box" that some of those in our society seem to have crawled into.

then stop denagrating them by calling them euphimistic names like "sheeple". and taking shots at their supposed lack of brain power by claiming they are asleep. then nobody will think this of you.

Well, I can't answer for the "sheeple" comment because I have never used that term.

And the fact that I don't view them as having an actual "lack of brain power" is the very reason why I get annoyed. It isn't that they don't HAVE it, it is that they WON'T use their brain power. Some would rather be taken care of and told what to do, how to dress, what drinks and foods they should consume, what choices to make, what they should know blah blah blah.

But I digress.... I actually don't have a problem with not being liked. I am a charmer and the company I keep IRL accept me, flaws and all as I do them. That still does not negate the fact that, in me, yes, something has disconnected from the way I process most of what used to keep me "bonded" to them. Something has changed and I hardly argue the fact that it was something in me.

look down on people? no...not you........

OH, not what you were looking for?

[edit on 14-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thesneakiod

Methinks you have a way to high opinion of yourself.

out of all the things being said in this thread - this is what you choose to comment on?

not everyone's self-esteem is a train wreck - it is OK to like yourself - it's even OK to recognize that maybe other people like you

and it says a lot about him that he brings it up in the context of - am I normal - am I alone?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Are we drawn here because we changed, or changed because we came here?

I've been reading through the whole thread - and there are so many interesting points, and opinions and questions - I don't know what to say or add

except to say that I do feel like this place let's us plug into the collective unconscious in a unique and tangible way

the one thing I'd like to ask you - after all your wondering - is

do you think ultimately you're OK with this? and by this I mean -

this questioning - searching - wondering - and doing it all on your own

you're obviously not alone at ATS - unless you pick the wrong topic

but I do understand what you mean about your day to day life - and feeling a little isolated

which is why this place exists

the thing is - you don't know what you know or don't know any more than I do - or than anyone does

we only suspect that there's something we should know

so the people in your life who don't see what you see right now - they might not - ever

since I don't believe in coincidence (and I have to admit - that is just a personal belief) I think you found this place for a reason

I have no clue what the reason is

it's just that you sound like you need some assurance - and I'm not sure you'll ever get any

the minute you decide that this is the path you're on - and you basically have no choice - and that you wouldn't choose otherwise if you could - is the same minute you won't feel alone anymore - or wonder if you're OK

it just won't matter anymore

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kitken01
Yeah it's hard to relate to "normal" people anymore once your eyes have been opened to many truths. They just don't want to hear about it, they're too happy to be deceived and too lazy to attempt to learn anything that might rock their little boats. I hear you, I don't have too many friends out in the "real world" but that's okay, they couldn't handle most of what I believe!

I keep sending my friends and family links to ATS, links to sites, links, links, links - and give my analysis.

Guess how many bring up what I have offered?

Heh. None.

I will send dire info, and I will get back, "So how ARE you? It's been a while. Me and the kids are getting into soccer, and..."

Aarrgh!

And I don't even go halfway to the extent that I see things differently. I have never sent the link to The Terra Papers! (See link in my sig if you are unfamiliar...)

Ah, well. We shall see what the future will bring.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JSR

you seem to miss the very obvious point that the group you are so worried about being denigrated are the ones who draw into their shells and make exscuses for "us" being different,consider us weird, crazy, or not normal, and it's cool for them to talk about us since we have different perceptions and views; perhaps that is why we dis-associate with the normal people, jsr; your point is taken; but, explain to us why seeking other souls on the same wave length is denigrating to the rest; politically correctness is just a form of chicken crap excuse making, and it amazes me that you are so diligent in making your point when the original question was about ATS helping to change the mindset of members, and helping to open our perceptions.

yes, the majority of the people are not aware; but since it appears to irritate you to see the analogy between sheep and wolves, perhaps this thread isn't suited to you.

seeker

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I am with you on the change you feel. I have always been a novice CT and wrote one of my own that is still safely tucked away to see if it comes to being.
I have always hunted out CT sites and some are good, some are just way over the top and some are in the middle. I have come to like ATS simply for the vast amount of real knowledge that traffics here.
On an average day, I start with Techmeme to get links to news in the world of technology then come here to find news about everything else. There are some excellent web-hunters here who find news in places that I wouldnt even think to look. I appreciate that, as it helps to keep me informed.
The subsequent effect of my daily stops here is that I am more logically and reasonably informed than I was before. That alone changes a person. It has opened my self up to seeing things with a thinner veil than before. I get to experiment with everything from the known and happening reality to the extremes of the imagination and I find both to be healthy on relative levels.

I guess the "ATS Effect has me" but it has been by choice so I accept it and continue on.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Dude you and I think EXACTLY alike, I mean seriously like i thought I wrote that post. PM me so we can talk more.

But I feel like we are living in the Matrix. I tried explaing the significance of the IndyMac collapse being one of the freakin largest financial institutions and everyone just seems to shrug it off. I mean I can see in their faces they DO NOT CARE, I really don't know if people think we're crazy or whether were just teens and naive.

I mean ok maybe we are, but this is very different. I don't understand how people could just dissmiss what I say, and I mean these things are of big importance to how the world is gonna be even a year from now.

Now I don't just tell my views to everyone because I am conscious of what people think when they hear people like us. They listen, and then don't say anthing, then 5 minutes later there on myspace or talking with whoever about last nights marlins game.

But I think the thing that makes me feel exactly like you is the way we think. Ive noticed that there is such a small amount of teens that I know who can have an extremely open mind, yet back it with fact and sometimes instinct. But it does take an amount of intelligence that really I dont see anyone else with. Im not saying Im the next Hawking or something, but im chill and funny AND I think for myself.

I think the biggest reason teens just can't seem to get it is all the # that keeps us entertained. I mean cmon I bet most of your freinds go on myspace daily for hours at a time. They watch sports and sit around not doing much. Ok really nothing too wrong with that but the PROBLEM is that it consumes them. Sometimes I see my freinds on the computer just staring almost blankly.

Really dude, a year ago last july I realized that what I thought about 9.11 was just the beginning of the rabbit hole. I told myself that if I was going to keep coming here, that I would have to face all of the information and that my view may very well change.

It has, very much. I see the sheeple, I see the laws, I see the injustice, I see the traitors, I see the nwo. But aI know that everything I know up to this point is still not even close. Sometimes I fell absoltely overwhelmed and I have to take a break becasue I just get depressed.

Im pretty sure you feel the same way. PM me.

JSR

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
....... secondly why the change of interest had severed some emotional attachment to those who are still of the former interest...

i was just trying to address the second issue mentioned above. i will move along now.

i wasn't trying to derail. maybe ill post a thread about it someday.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rhombus24

Hey there...

I don't really know what PM is, but I'm guessing you mean U2U...

How about I start here...

Today I was at work, and I had a conversation with one of the bellman. Now this guy, Chris, (who knows I will be sharing this) is a pretty smart guy. I've given him my copies of Ann Rand's books, and we converse from time to time.

Anyway, tonight he came out and started talking about "this crazy thing on CNN last night". I knew right away that he was talking about a rerun of the Larry King show on Stephenville, but I let him continue. So he starts right in on the Crawford, TX part of the story, dismissing the idea of the UFO traveling towards the presidents ranch. Now even I don't believe that was where it was headed, but I do know the facts behind the story.

Hell, that story was the reason I started coming to this site in the first place. ( Texas sightings in general) So I started correcting his misperceptions, and pointed out the proof on radar, amongst other things ,and this guy starts to weird out. He literally walks away.

Later, I asked him about that, and told him about this thread right here. He basically answered that the subject did make him uncomfortable, and that he wasn't up for dealing with "facts". (his words) It doesn't matter that this is what should be discussed, he liked it better when he could just dismiss it.

Even if 9/11 never was a conspiracy, just remember that it reminded you that you ARE supposed to intelligently question the actions and options of the world around you.

Remember that the conspiracy is someone always trying to hide the truth, and it doesn't always have to be big. They are just puzzle pieces...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I believe that what you say is true, and that I tried to be careful in the wording of my OP. I didn't want to reek of a desperation to feel like I fit in.

The truth is, I'm happy and okay with being different. I'm just not okay with choosing to be blind.

My girlfriend has a friend who smoked through both of her pregnancies, and breast feeding.

I'll let that phrase sink in, as it was in the last three years.

My point? I don't mind ignorance. I don't mind sheep. I do mind being made to feel odd for not wanting to discuss the latest celebrity vacations, and not being able to return the favor when I bring up the truth about the chemicals in our DRINKING WATER.

But again, I lack so many answers, but I feel like my time in this cycle is almost up.

(it''s a little exciting, I admit.)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

jj, i agree with you, it is our choice to really see, to not accept being blinded by the system; i deal with the sheep everyday, and talking to them arouses their fears of seeing something new, so it is a slow process; occasionaly someone, such as you, will step forward and stir everyone else up a little, and the ripples do reach a few ready to ride this wave with us; and i also feel the cycle is drawing closer to completion, but for the last 20 years it does seem to be accelerating.

keep up the good work and there are many of us here with you.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
The ATS effect is a resultant affectation of mankind cresting the eshcaton - that transcendental object at the end of time.

ATS is in many ways a Fractal representation of the Library of Alexandria.

It is the place of dissemination and association, which draws out the Thinkers amongst us. These are the Interesting times. We who's minds are linked and know this to be true are taking advantage of this brief moment in time, a brief period where novelty has chosen to express itself.

We turn thoughts into electrons, and shoot them across the world unimpeded into each other's minds. This is a rare event in space and time, a confluence of events and personalities that has never happened before.

There are those amongst us who appreciate, who see this for the treasure that it is - a fractal Soliton beginning to present itself for the first time in our history.

ATS is a product of the modern Bifrocation; we are the ones we have been waiting for. This is the waiting room in which we converse, waiting for the chance to heed that unheard call.

I have no doubt there is an "ATS Effect"

OMG! That is Exactly how I feel!

Thank you so much for posting this!

[edit on 15-7-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

Later, I asked him about that, and told him about this thread right here. He basically answered that the subject did make him uncomfortable, and that he wasn't up for dealing with "facts". (his words) It doesn't matter that this is what should be discussed, he liked it better when he could just dismiss it.

i actually can understand this. when i first REALLY allowed myself to just go w/ all of this, i spent a good while thinking, looking, and feeling "bugged out". when you realize there is more to this world and life than you once comfortably thought, it can be a pretty scary place to be.

i guess this is why i struggle w/ the thought of should i or should i not be trying to "wake ppl up."

i remember when my sis first found out about the NAU from a source other than me. this was last summer. she kept sending me emails and calling me on the phone telling me what else she had learned. she showed up on my doorstep when she got off work w/ a 6 pk of beer and a scared look on her face.
we talked about it and i just asked "would you rather know or be caught unaware?" she said know.

she, for a while, went back into complete "shut down" mode and once again, i was alone in my ponderings. more recently though, the awareness in her has started flickering again and i do hope this time she will be able to face that fear and perservere through it. it is hard to explain to others that there is a "place" beyond the fear where fear turns into determination to stay aware.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I know were your coming from. I have a friend who used to research along side me. He has since been consumed by the course in miricles. The whole love or fear thing. I have no problem with this. It's interesting how people can just drop this in a weeks time. I guess the course in miracles filled the hole/drama for him. I can relate completly to the rest of your post. My wife and I share the same outlook on this issue. It must be dificult for couples who do not.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
It must be dificult for couples who do not.

i think this is the #1 reason why i stay single. i remember seeing this stuff on and off again during the course of my marriage, but the ex always made me feel "silly" and thus, in order to keep the peace in the home, i relinquished it until the time another trigger would come along.

this is very important to me and i just don't think i can settle to be w/ someone and then have to feel divided again.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

By the same token if you do find somone who shares your views as a partner it helps you alot. In a social setting I used to discuss these kinds of issues early on in my awakening. I've learned to be much more diplomatic. People don't want to hear about "Your" views besides" if that was the case we would have heard about this" your painted as a wide eyed conspiracy theorist. I've learned to just inject bite size pieces into disscussions or avoid it all together. And that brings us back to the #1 response "what are you going to do about it" Well for me ,it's just keep digging for the truth. I'm quite happy to be in this reality because mostly I have a partner who shares my views. This forum is great as well.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm

By the same token if you do find somone who shares your views as a partner it helps you alot.[edit on 15-7-2008 by Swingarm]

no doubt! it would be nice. i often do feel alone, especially when considering how to protect my boys.

if i found someone and we matched on that level along w/ other key levels, then of course that would be ideal. just not one for settling for the simple desire of wanting someone around.

and you are right. diplomacy is very important. a couple weeks ago, i was talking w/ someone about the elections and such (IRL, where my charms can be used lol) and he was talking about voting for the "lesser of two evils."

i decided to take a different approach w/ him than the ones i tried on here. i laid out the foundation of how this country was intended to work so that we wouldn't be left w// the choice of the lesser of two evils. then once that was laid out, i showed him the issues the two main candidates stood for and watched as the light behind his eyes flickered w/ the understanding of why we MUST NOT vote for these two.

he called the other day and said he was shocked that ever since our conversation, he sees what i was talking about all over the place. he has become aware in that sense.

he is voting ron paul now btw

[edit on 15-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

no - I didn't hear desperation at all

just the same thing everyone else is wondering - myself included

what is all this - and does it separate me from the rest of my life?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join