It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS Effect"? (Does it have you?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Since I've been on ATS, I notice more situations on TV that are setup to ridicule conspiracy theorists. I see it a lot and it bothers me, because that just shows that Hollywood is in on the scam to keep people in the dark. They purposely send the message that conspiracy theorists are nutjobs and you should stay away from them. I even wonder if there are further subliminal messaging techniques used by the TV programming to suggest to people that when they are faced with a conspiracy topic situation, to basically "turn themselves off".

I watch TV often but it doesn't have the same effect as it used to. I trust nothing I see on TV and I never buy any products that are advertised there. In my opinion, anything being 'pushed' on television is a scam with some hidden agenda.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

It's funny. At work, sometimes I greet people, and ask how they are, in a foreign language.

They always answer me, no matter what.

You're right. I could just smile and nod. But I really need more than just reflection at this point. I can't sleep most nights because my brain just won't slow down. Time also feels like it is flying by, and I am understanding so much more. It's why I read all the threads on this site I can. You never know what gem you might pull from someone's pile of b.s. (not that many are b.s.)

I just feel like this site helps open my eyes, and fit a few small pieces together.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Jason I understand what you are saying, I have learned that if I continue to discuss the things that capture my interest here, I will not only not have any friends, I fear I will either lose my hubby or just have him think I am nuts. And it is very hard to not bring up subjects that I have read or discuss here, most of what I read are not only interesting subjects, but matters that are detrimental to us all. I see that the majority of folks would rather caryy on as sheeple and accept what is in front of them, rejecting any idea of the unusual or far fetched hard to believe TRUTH that we come across every time we enter ATS. And it has changed my life. I feel that I now have a forum to come and research, read, discuss, but only with those who are like me, inquisitive, open minded, tempered with a need for truth and ready for whatever that truth may be. I aplaud you for pointing this out to others, I bet not many sign up here and walk away without knowing that the world is not what you thought it was before ATS.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ceara

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

I applaud your effort in wanting to help others. But sometimes, they just aren't ready to hear it. We won't be able to help everyone unfortunately, but we can try.

i'll be honest about this... my intent when trying to draw others in (and there have been a few cases of success, but they are short lived) is not so much about them as it is about me.

i trust that if we are in a time of things being revealed, then it will be revealed to those that it was meant to be revealed to.

my thing is i want to have more ppl see some things that are obvious to me so that we can discuss. i like discussing on here, but this too is impersonal. i want to sit w/ someone under the stars and bounce ideas back and forth while they are there with me. i want to connect w/ ppl on a deeper level.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

I think it's because some conspiracists are stuck on certain points, and refuse to accept additions, or changes, to their beliefs.
There are many theories that are ten years old, (I won't name names) and they have some truth to them. You see a lot of things that you can now break down to prove this.
However, the original founders of many of these theories have filled in many of the blanks themselves, and this invalidates any real proof they have. If only they would be honest, and allow the newest research to be added, (like any science research is done) then their facts actually work.

Thee really is a big picture, and I think a lot of real conspiracies....
This is all so frustrating.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

You're telling me. My girlfriend says that she is starting to hate that I come on here. Her parents made cracks about it ever since the one time I brought it up.

I think that reading as much as I have, and the ability to conduct research just by opening a new window, has made me wonder if maybe I am right, and she doesn't want to lose me to the truth.

It's scary and dark when you have to hide the truth under a blanket, better to close your eyes and dream a reality up...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

reply to post by justamomma

Some of these threads, even ones I still dismiss, have really made me question some things in my life, and even though I found the OP's explanation lacking, it still left me unable to go back to my previous view.

i will read things on here and think "what the hell is this even being entertained for?" then at the most unexpected time, could be days or weeks later, something in what i read will connect w/ something else i read or some random thought i have had.

i guess the only way to really explain it is i feel like there is a giant puzzle full of pieces. some fit and some don't. at random times, something will pop into my head and a piece that i thought was to be discarded suddenly fits or one i thought would fit has to be discarded, at least temporarily if not altogether.

big picture w/ lots of tiny random pieces. *sighs* i never was really good w/ puzzles.

i have gone from believing in the christian God to being agnostic to being atheist to being unsure really other than i definately have been subjectively brought to a place where i can't argue the existence of a Creator but not as I have always been taught to believe.... and all of this w/in the last yr and a half. talk about appearing to be fickle, huh?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I know what you mean. I actually have two, ahem, TWO misspelled tattoos from my drinking days in the Corps. and after. But one day, I realized alcohol was never going to make me feel like I belonged in their world. The only way I could connect with them, because most people can't connect with me.

I have always known that this, (you know, all this around us) is just an illusion.

I just don't know what is under it all, but I still need to know. And most people can't, or won't, understand the kind of depth that we need to go to, in order to reach those answers. And that includes the deepest of personal relationships as well.

No one wants to stop and notice it's all an illusion. I'm telling you, it's safer this way for most people. So why are we all so different?

And realize how few people really are ready to "check in" here at ATS and stay awhile?

(Although I agree the Staff are wonderful, that can't be the only reason.)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Yeah, if I bring up anything off this site with friends my husband will quickly say 'she has this crazy website she goes on all the time' and it embarrasses me. On the upside, I turned one of my very best and oldest freinds on to this site, and it gives us plenty to talk about! She and I have discussed this very subject though, she is a nurse and if she brings up subjects or mentions 'conspiracy site' at work they think she is out of her head! But she also thinks that her superiors are intimidated by some of the information she brings away from here, that pertains to her particular industry. She told them about MRSA breakouts long before it became a problem in our local area or hospitals and was met with 'it would never happen in mass numbers', well, it has.

edit= I had to add this note: talking about mispelled tatoos, my neice went a few weeks ago and got drunk, let her new 'tatoo artist' boyfriend put a tatoo of her mother's name on her back, above her butt. I was upset. As an 'in memory' tatoo I didn't think that above her butt was appropriate, but when I saw it my laughter sent my neice crying to get it fixed, her mother's name was Sylvia, the tatoo said 'Syva' . She must have been pretty drunk when she told them what her mother's name was! LOL!

[edit on 13-7-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
i have gone from believing in the christian God to being agnostic to being atheist to being unsure really other than i definately have been subjectively brought to a place where i can't argue the existence of a Creator but not as I have always been taught to believe.... and all of this w/in the last yr and a half. talk about appearing to be fickle, huh?

I go through that as well. I've always had pretty firm beliefs in a lot of things but now I find myself questioning everything. My mind is way more open now than ever before. Who knows which pieces of the puzzle are part of the truth? I just try to soak it all up as much as I can and hope for the best.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Thats funny. (not, like a clown funny)

I figured out most of my views on God before I got here, but did take a similar path.

I just know, every time I look up in the sky, that this is it, we are finally getting somewhere. But who knows? maybe only some of us are meant to know and accept this.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

i agree with this almost completely. I feel like if i ask someone about something i found on this site, or show them it, they just shrug it off, or think im out of my mind. so i basically stopped doing so and just keep it to myself, even though i find it all interesting and important. just today i tried explaining to my gf about ron paul and she didnt seem to get it at all...she didnt even know who he was let alone the fact that he had campaigned for president. i guess people have to want to open their mind and see the truth, and most people are content with whatevers going on already. not me though

[edit on 13-7-2008 by kyle6677]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I am now snidely referred to at work for my association with this site. But that doesn't bother me as much as some peoples refusal to even consider HARD evidence!

Why are we the crazy ones?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle6677

THere is such a foundation needed sometimes, before someone can even understand the premise you are presenting.

You say, "I support Ron Paul because of his stance on the Constitution."

They can't even understand that the Document is in jeopardy! So how can you get them to understand the importance of defending it?

Like I said last night. If the UFO community wants credibility, they need All-Stars. Good looking people, who have science backgrounds and charisma. It would change the movement forever.

Look what x-files did for conspiracies in general...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Not to set up any side topics, but mine, well, I have no idea what they say. They are misspelled in foreign languages.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
lol @ the tattoos. i only laugh bc i have one and it is absolutely ridiculous that i wouldn't even say what it is on here lol. and that was during a personal drunken phase i was going through to try and "fit in".

i am not sure that i was always aware that this was an illusion, but i definately was never one to not question things (except for my brief "drunken phase"). i have always been curious and contemplative.

i, too, am at the point that i feel i CAN'T quit. i do sometimes wish i could, but i think that to stop now would be worse since i have started this journey.

i also question whether i am in the right when i try to talk to others about it bc at times it is very scary and you know the saying "ignorance is bliss".

not sure what makes us different, but there certainly does seem to be a division happening.... whether it seems that way bc i am becoming more aware or if it is a legit assumption, i am not sure.

the closest friend i have (feeling a connection to) doesn't come on here too often although he says he has lurked for quite some time, just to read things. he seems to be more aware than i am, but he will only answer things if i ask the right questions

something is formulating in my mind and it drives me crazy not knowing the big picture.

i even sometimes question if i really DO want to know, if that makes sense. like is the big picture gonna be something good or something bad? but alas, i keep moving forward in this, unable to stop.

and you alluded to it, about the time going quickly...... seems like the more pieces that come together, the quicker time goes and more and more information flows through my head. i really don't even HAVE to be on this site to have information flood into my head (has been happening before this site found me even)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I knew that I was noticing your posts for a while now for a reason....

Look. I feel like the world is literally being processed in my head right now. Like, I said, I pick gems from certain threads, (some threads are all gems) and I have gotten big pieces of the puzzle, (as I also like to call it) although I'm not sure where they go.

Which brings me back to ATS. This is why I came here. To fill in spaces, and connect dots.

P.S. I was born in El Paso, but as I'm adopted, grew up in Alabama and New York. Now I live in Cali. I move a lot, and get "fidgety" after a year or two anywhere. Although I think most people "like" me, I never feel like I fit in, or found that Star watcher , if you will.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
And are we in a different meta-physical state as well?

Or is this mental, or soul changing? What do you call this? (and don't say aging, as there are all ages on this site)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I just know, every time I look up in the sky, that this is it, we are finally getting somewhere. But who knows? maybe only some of us are meant to know and accept this.

looking at the night sky is actually my "calm" moments. it is not like looking up at the day sky where the sun's light creates an illusion keeping us from seeing what is really there.

when i look at it, i feel like THAT is where the truth is hidden. That is where we will find where we came from, what the purpose is, and where we are supposed to be headed. In fact, it is when i am laying there looking at this creation that i find i gain the most insight and have the most connections to the pieces.

i feel that the daylight is what keeps most from "seeing" there is something more to this life, if that makes sense.

i feel the most unable to "connect" w/ the awareness inside during the day. (not sure where i was headed w/ this line of thinking lmfao)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Since you have hinted at it, can I ask you what puzzle pieces you have put together since you've been here? Or at least what area?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join