It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS Effect"? (Does it have you?)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Are we drawn here because we changed, or changed because we came here?
(I have retitled this thread, because of a thought a couple of posts down. this might make more sense as you read it)

I know, I know, just writing this thread means I'm probably a little out there,but bear with these first few sentences, I have a point.

I would say that I think I am of above-average intelligence, average to good-looking, somewhat funny, and probably fun to be around. I am also curious, too thin for my height (6' 5") and I talk WAY too much at times. I have a tendency to move around a lot, (I have some serious energy) but I am also really outgoing, and sarcastic in a friendly way. (and really friendly, as I like to help people) More importantly, I have a completely open mind about many subjects.
My whole job, and my future career choice (radio), depend on these traits, and although I know they can be a bit much for some, I accept that the gains outweigh the losses. I have never had a problem connecting with people and maintaining those friendships either.
But I don't have any odd things that I do. I don't mutter to myself, collect dead flies, or compliment people on their breath. I am as "normal" as I think most people are.

I have begun to notice something, however. Before I joined this site, I had some general knowledge of alternative topics, but rarely spoke of them. I listened to coast to coast regularly, but now I see that even C2C has it's crap that it keeps trying to pass off as gold.

But I rarely talked about those topics, except with my brother.

Well, ever since I have joined this site, I have felt like Neo, and I took the damn pill.

Even though I have a heavy filter on when I roam this site, the sheer attitude and depth of knowledge that certain members provide, steers me in the direction of truth and new discoveries.

I don't believe in a lot, but the truth I have found has changed me.

I look around, and I see the matrix.

I see sheep, who only want to discuss baseball, and Angelina Jolies' babies.

So why am I asking if I am weird?
Well, you see, my relationships are all changing. Nobody will discuss anything with me, and I feel disconnected from most people I knew.

It's not like I wander around talking about secret moon bases and 2012.

But try just explaining the Bear Sterns and Indymac collapse, (and it's significance) to the average Joe, and they start avoiding you.

You bring up the March 13th secret session of Congress, and they forget your name when they see you.

Bring up Alternative energy or medicines, and I can't get a Monday greeting.

Don't even get my started on Zeitgeist.

And IMO, the average American couldn't repeat more than three words of the constitution, so you know where those conversations go...

Either way, I feel like a Jehova's Witness.

So I guess since deciding what is weird, versus not weird, is the size of the group you fall into, how do you all feel? Do you feel like this knowledge can sometimes be a burden, and can affect your relationships?

My brother won't even discuss UFO's with me anymore. (I think it's because I debunked some of his favorite history channel episodes)

I know that all things change, and I am not writing this thread with an "agenda". I am merely curious. ( this all stems from the subject of last nights Larry King Live, which a lot of employees watched in the break room. People SERIOUSLY avoided me today.)

So am I weird, or am I not alone?

Am I being affected by this site, or did I come here for a reason?

Edit; Because I thought about it more.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

[edit on 13-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, I can feel you on that one... but are you weird?

Or is it everyone else that is just bizarre?

If zombies took over the entire world, and there were only a few people who survived the take-over, would you care about making nice with the infected?

I mean, believe me, people are totally brainwashed... and I've learned to just speak my mind no matter who doesn't like it. I've let go of these desires to be respected by society... because in my opinion, it's like trying to befriend a citizen in Nazi Germany. They are all hailing the exalted ones, while completely forgetting about finding the power within themselves.

Just watch E! enterntainment channel for 5 minutes (it's a very very popular channel) and try to deny that people are not completely brainwashed.

I'm joining a convent in the mountains or something. When the # hits the fan, these zombies are going to FREAK!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Okay, I edited the title. After I wrote everything, and then read it again, it makes more sense. Sorry to the three people who read this before the edit.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

THats funny that you say that.

My girlfriend watches a lot of reality t.v. Any kind, actually.

But I want to shoot my self within 5 minutes. I feel bad for everyone. I mean, really, genuinely, bad for them.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I definitely feel empathy for these people. I completely understand, coming from the same brainwashedness... but I don't think ATS has done anything to me at all, because I had to choose to open up to certain concepts and let go of certain beliefs, and I was doing that WAAAAY before ATS or 9/11 Truth or any of this stuff.

I have a jaw disorder which also causes me to have a little difficulty speaking sometimes, and that alone will open your eyes to just how shallow people's beliefs and understandings really are. I mean, a lot of people don't even understand that, because of one little defect in a person's physical appearance, that there is even a conscious living feeling being in there. You'd be surprised just how non existent people think I am when they talk # about me like 2 feet away from me like I'm frickin' deaf.

Don't even get me started on "Ugly Betty".

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yeah it's hard to relate to "normal" people anymore once your eyes have been opened to many truths. They just don't want to hear about it, they're too happy to be deceived and too lazy to attempt to learn anything that might rock their little boats. I hear you, I don't have too many friends out in the "real world" but that's okay, they couldn't handle most of what I believe!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I once heard from a palm reader, that due to my "aura" and such, (i don't really believe all of what she said) I would be well liked, but not really feel connected to people.

It's not that I don't want friends, and nor do I care about someone's opinion of me, (outside of work issues) however I have just noticed a difference in how people treat me.

My G.F.'s parents are definitely on that train. Thats the last time I discuss Ron Paul at dinner.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
I once heard from a palm reader, that due to my "aura" and such, (i don't really believe all of what she said) I would be well liked, but not really feel connected to people.

this is actually what i am facing. being well liked, but not really feeling connected to ppl.

i am a single mom, 31 (relatively young still) and the occasions that my ex takes the boys.. well, i used to go out w/ some girlfriends. wasn't ever really my thing, but i liked socializing and so i went along.

then about 4 or 5 months ago, i just started seeing things different. i still did things w/ ppl but it started being more out of feeling that i had to. i would try to hang out and talk to ppl about things other than the latest gossips and other irrelevent things.

then i found this site and haven't gone out since. i mainly hang out w/ my sis and her family, and a guy friend who is will talk about all this stuff w/ me.

my friends still love me which shocks me bc i just don't feel connected to them anymore. i am a charmer
and so maybe that is why i have been able to maintain relations, but i don't hide the things i experience and come across and i notice the raised eyebrows and quick change of subjects, but they still "love" me.

i just tell like it like it is to ppl that don't "get it"......... i am weird
and i find it to be a very good thing

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Yeah. I spend way too much time on this site. But it has helped me in my typing ability.

I too am about thirty. I am exactly the same way. A charmer.

I just don't get why all of a sudden I don't feel connected to anyone. They also "still love me/like me" as you say, but I feel forced. It's easy, because now I just seem to make a lot of excuses, and just come home.

And not to sound stupid, but you would not think that I'm that guy on the internet if you met me in person.

I don't know. Somethings up in the world, and I feel anxious, waiting for my role.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yeah. I spend way too much time on this site. But it has helped me in my typing ability.

I too am about thirty. I am exactly the same way. A charmer.

I just don't get why all of a sudden I don't feel connected to anyone. They also "still love me/like me" as you say, but I feel forced. It's easy, because now I just seem to make a lot of excuses, and just come home.

And not to sound stupid, but you would not think that I'm that guy on the internet if you met me in person.

I don't know. Somethings up in the world, and I feel anxious, waiting for my role.

yeah, i was hanging out w/ a friend last night and we sitting under the stars and i all i wanted to do was question EVERYTHING. i wanted to talk about what was "out there", what will happen next concerning this country and the world, i wanted to think and discuss and i just felt like i was hitting a brick wall w/ him. he has a "thing" for me and kept trying to bring the conversation back to this. i felt bad bc i honestly got annoyed and finally told him just to go home.
he did ask why i isolate myself from ppl.

i really thought about it for the first time and realized that other than my boys, i have no emotional attachment to ANYONE. i value others as humans and respect their rights to pursue what they want, but something has disconnected in me seperating me from being able to form any real bond w/ anyone.

i too am not the type of person you would look at and think "computer geek" either and yet, here i am

i guess i come to this site bc there are actual discussions about real things w/out the emotional guilt if i get distant.

this emotional detaching from others happened quite unintentionally and in some sense i REALLY like it, but at the same time i feel "weird" bc i am not sure that it is healthy. still, it is my preference to either chill w/ someone like minded even if this someone is only me
lmfao

i am guessing in another few months, the most unlikely candidate for being put in a straight jacket (me) will be fitted for one.

basically, i can relate and have been questioning the same things but have no real definitive answer as to what is happening.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I thought about what I was trying to get at, and have come to this conclusion.

To be honest with you, if I had been asked two years ago to describe the type of people on a site like this, I would have described the cliche computer "geek". Now don't get me wrong, I had my geek phase too, however a "geek" would lack a lot of the necessary life experience needed to promote and expand on the types of things brought up on this site.

Now, however, I know that there are many people from all walks of life who have been drawn to this forum.

Wait, thats wrong. They have been drawn to this site.

Is it because some of us are meant to have our eyes opened? Why is it that most people couldn't handle some of the simplest ideas on this site. That it is "weird" and "out there"?

I think I am going to retitle this thread now. I think that the idea is that there is an "ATS effect". Similar to an awakening. It adds to my disconnect, depresses me, and at the same time brings me hope.

Yeah, the ATS Effect.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Nah it's not you. Since I've been on ATS I've thought of the rest of the world as a reality matrix where people go on their business as usual. You'd be surprised at how many people go on living life without questioning anything. Mostly all of the people I meet seem to be content with their job. I don't try to distance myself from the common folk. I feel it's good to get exposure to what other people think. However I do realize that it's important to be careful with whom you're talking to. There are some people that think that if you have a minority opinion about politics that your opinion is a conspiracy and they say that they don't believe in conspiracies. I get into trouble with this sometimes. So I just have to keep in mind what I talk about. I get in some trouble when I describe who Ron Paul is around my parents. When I tell them about Ron Paul they go and ask me "isn't he a republican?"

I can relate to you. I see people that just want to talk about relationships, about movies, about sports, and about movies. It's wrong to think of them as sheep. They just haven't been awakened yet. Remember Neo before he took the red pill and how he was still plugged into the matrix? They are all plugged into this reality matrix and they are happy to live in it and aren't ready for the truth yet. Anything that has to do with truth turns them off. They are happy with their television, their movies, and their mainstream media.

However, don't stop talking to people. Tell them what's on your mind. When the subject of conversation is about politics tell them what's on your mind. When the subject of conversation is about a problem of one of your friends help your friend out. Don't stop to help the common person. The worst you could do would be to silence yourself just because you see too much common folk and feel repelled by them because they haven't been awakened to the truth yet, as, that will make you feel isolated from society, a loner, and being lonely is no fun.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I don't think it's that I want to avoid these peoples lives, if you will. I guess the truth is, I just don't have the strength for those types of issues among the masses. No one person has more than a half dozen "real" friends, and I will always have an interest in them. However, the truth is, thats even changing now.

I just don't feel like I'm on the same "plane" as them anymore.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
The worst you could do would be to silence yourself just because you see too much common folk and feel repelled by them because they haven't been awakened to the truth yet, as, that will make you feel isolated from society, a loner, and being lonely is no fun.

i wouldn't say that i feel repelled at all, just annoyed. the way i see it, i don't want to hear about the latest on the reality show they've seen anymore than they want to hear about the fact that we are on the verge of something serious in this country. so instead of being at a standstill, i tend to opt for coming home.

i am there for the ppl around me when they are going through something of real importance, but i am finding the words " take responsibility for your situation and start realizing there are more important things taking place around us that involve more than just our trivial lives" slipping out of my mouth.

i respect their right for the trivial, but i am finding myself more and more detached the more i have to hear about it.

maybe that is the problem? i have become so far removed from worrying about the superficial things?

well, regardless..... let's face it... we are turning into "freaks"
hehe

[edit on 12-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think most people experience whatever "awakening" effect it is BEFORE they arrive at this site... even if it is just a slight thing, like a small gripe about a U.S. policy, I think eventually most people who come here tend to unflold their minds a bit more. It is inevitable, because some of the posts on even the most off the wall subjects in the light of most people are VERY well done, and there are some tremendous mental and spiritual powers flowing through here.

I actually feel kind of guilty for ever doubting the awakening power of this site. I went to another site for a while, and it just wasn't the same. I'm not kissing staff ass here. It's not the staff that I'm truly impressed with (although they aren't really THAT bad, aside from a few issues), it's the people here. There is so much diversity, yet I'm seeing this massive influx of people coming here in search of others who sense that something is amiss, and it is really sad that we have to hide our true thoughts, feelings, and experiences in the confines of this forum. Things are REALLY happening, and the world has just become completely apathetic and servile.

I hope the people wake up in time. We should all really start speaking out more outside of this forum. I've already had some minor successes in waking people... although they don't seem to have the courage to continue the cycle yet. This is why we all need to start making our voices heard. It works, if you let it. If you confine and constrict what you say always because of social status or acceptance or whatever, things are not going to improve. We'll be destined to constantly repeat history that way.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As they say, with so many people and so many threads,

THE TRUTH IS SOMEWHERE IN HERE.

You just have to dig to find it.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Some of these threads, even ones I still dismiss, have really made me question some things in my life, and even though I found the OP's explanation lacking, it still left me unable to go back to my previous view.

I still find myself wondering what would I feel like if I had never came to this site?

It's almost like my thread on pre- 9/11 existence. I can't remember before then, as far as my feelings go, and since I joined here, I can't remember a lot of my previous views on certain things.

But I do feel like I am connecting with many people here. It allows me to open up on some serious issues and questions I have.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

I agree. It's like they say about how the world will "transcend" around the 2012 time frame?
Well, if we don't change a lot of the way we think soon, we are going to be in serious, serious trouble. (as a species)

Not to mention the collective thoughts of generations...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

And there is nothing more true than that!

But as they ask in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, are we looking for answers, or the Question to the answer we have?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I just don't feel like I'm on the same "plane" as them anymore.

I hear ya loud and clear!

You're not alone.

I've been on this "path" for a little over 10 years now. It's hard I know.

If you don't mind I'd like to throw in a little twist here.

Did you ever ponder the possibility that other people are withdrawing from you to give you time to really get into it all? I mean, you can only go so far reading. Sometimes you just have to sit and think, or meditate, or whatever down time you like to have.

Sometimes when you're with clueless people all you can do is just smile and nod. You know full well pretty much all that's going on, and seem open minded to much more. There are times it's best to remain silent and let these people talk. Then when they are done yapping, they might turn to you and ask your opinion because you didn't add to the conversation while it was going on and only listened.

Some people just don't want to have this kind of stuff thrust on them. Perhaps deep down they know you are right but just can't accept it.

I feel that when people start sensing things on a deep level but can't yet verbalize it to another, they also feel "weird." Then they act different. Avoidance is one common theme I've noticed.

I feel people go through a type of grief process when all this starts to sink in. Just like in the Kubler-Ross stages of grief.

I think I might be leaving one word out, but Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.

I told my hubby this theory earlier today and he thought for a minute and said perhaps I am correct. But added that acceptance isn't really true acceptance, but more of a stoic view. Like saying, Knowledge Protects. I agree wholeheartedly.

So just ponder on that when you talk with people. As you get to "read" them you'll see what stage they're at. Those that have already gone through the denial and anger may appear more stoic and more open to conversation such as you desire.

I applaud your effort in wanting to help others. But sometimes, they just aren't ready to hear it. We won't be able to help everyone unfortunately, but we can try.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join