It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Keetoowah, possible explanation for Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I just recently began to start looking into Cherokee history, being that I have Cherokee blood in me. While researching I came across some references to Keetoowaah.

The Keetoowaah people are actually supposed to be the original Cherokee's (The word Cherokee was not known in their language.) and supposedly they originally came from an Island in the Atlantic ocean. This Island had a lot of advanced technology as well as large structures that reached into the skies.

However the Keetoowaah were not the only inhabitants of this island, there were several other tribes. Apparently these tribes began fighting among each other. After many of the Keetoowah left this island, the legend says that "God" sank the island. But after hearing this story I began to wonder if this Island was what we refer to as "Atlantis" many of the descriptions seem to match.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by daeldren]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Where did you find this info? Any links?

I am part Cherokee as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This sounds really interesting, I'll looking into it. I wonder who the other tribes were.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here is one link that I found, it has some other good Cherokee information on it as well.

Keetoowah

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"Seventy tribes attacked them but, by the guidance of God, they were victorious. The last warrior of their attackers, Ner-du-er-gi, was on top of a mountain overlooking their camp in the deep valley below. This warrior saw a smoke arising from the camp which "extended up beyond Heaven". The smoke was divided into three parts and in that there was an eagle holding arrows. When the warrior and his followers saw this, he ordered them not to attack the Indians for they were God's people and powerful and if they attacked they would be destroyed."

Perhaps a silly observation, but on the US dollar there is an eagle holding twelve (dividible by 3) arrows.

What do you want, I'm tired!

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
They, too, talk about coming from a distant land, an island that can no longer be reached by physical means.

This island... I can't recall what it was called, been a few years since study-ing them, had a large mountian made of crystal at its center.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Perhaps a silly observation, but on the US dollar there is an eagle holding twelve (dividible by 3) arrows.

What do you want, I'm tired!

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Jonna]

Good point. But the chances of that relating to the topic at hand are quite slim.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren

The Keetoowaah people are actually supposed to be the original Cherokee's (The word Cherokee was not known in their language.) and supposedly they originally came from an Island in the Atlantic ocean. This Island had a lot of advanced technology as well as large structures that reached into the skies.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by daeldren]

Not shooting you down, just presenting my side. This link says we came from "Some scholars believe the town is located in western North Carolina near the present reservation of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians."

www.cherokeeobserver.org...

or

members.cox.net...

The part you read about the Seventy warriors, is (to me) kinda like the Cherokees Bible, where they came from the white coming (hows that for a prohecy) IE coming from the east.
How their blood would be in half (half breeds) but that IF the young ones followed their way (modern times) they would be protected by God.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by NetStorm]

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Some sites I found. There is actually alot on this subject.

Consistently believes Atlantis was built by aliens.

www.atlantisinsights.net...

chickamaugacherokee.org...

www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net...

www.wovoca.com...

www.flem-ath.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
*ahem* ... guys... the legends refer to the original people crossing the Bering straits land bridge from Asia into America.

There are a number of these legends, and the area that sank is the Aleutian island chain. It's well documented.

With the Cherokee, I would be suspicious of anything claiming "God" did anything. A supreme deity (ala the Christians) is not a good interpretation of their original beliefs.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
A number of years ago, in a n. carolina town named
Morganton
I was befriended by Aileen & her 30 yr old son Glenn

Aileen was 1/8 cherokee, but refused rights to live
on reservation...now books & authors & researchers
have resources but print only verifiable info & data...

Aileen told me that the cherokee had a heritage account
of migating from an island area in the distant past...

and lands most often spoken of are Ireland/Scotland
in one camp and the (early stoneage, post flood era)
Carribean Sea area....Also the Cherokee people were 'civilized' when they 1st relocated in n america and the indigenous n american peoples were 'uncivilized',
but became civilized thru contacts with Cherokee.

you may call this hearsay, and not from authorized
sources, either in academia or from tribal leaders....
true enough....because this came from a everyday
woman (Aileen M.) that learned it by word of mouth from her family & such, throughout her life...

I have not known Aileen to be a fabricator or any sensationalist what so ever.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That is a good point, the Bering Strait and all... but the only problem I can figure, is that in the accounts of island migration, they indicate they came from the east, not the west.

new topics

top topics

join