It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter ARH Program Cancelled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to think of this:

www.reuters.com...

First, is that ARH Program not truly deeply needed, ASAP? Was the selection of the Bell 407 platform a good choice to start from (it sure help to deliver it on time).

If canceled, what can reasonably take it's place (on schedule?)

I don't really understand that (maybe election year has something to do with it).

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
the problem is cost - same with the comanche - when your end product will cost 50% more than you said it would then theres a problem

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Couple of things:

Surely that wasn't the Bell prototype in the article's picture? That's just the OH-58 frame (OK, Bell 206 Long) with a different rotor system and engine.

We should have NEVER killed the Comanche program. That helicopter was 15 years ahead of it's time.

What's wrong with the OH-58D?? It's completely versatile, loved by her pilots and feared by the bad guys.

I feel like the gov't is trying to fix what ain't broke! Kinda like MS telling us to buy Vista when XP is working perfectly fine.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL
...Was the selection of the Bell 407 platform a good choice to start from (it sure help to deliver it on time). ...

Well, obviously it DIDN´T help. I don´t understand what they are doing to these birds that it takes so long. I mean, Bell has been building the virtually the same helicopter for 40 years straight, and still they managed to crash one of their test beds.

If canceled, what can reasonably take it's place (on schedule?)...

The EC-635, the militarized version of the EC-135. Its fully developed, already capable to carry a wider array of weaponry than the ARH-70, it has plenty of growth potential, power reserves, stellar flight characteristics especially compared to the Bell bird and 185% of the ARH-70s payload with only 15% higher empty weight. It just needs some integration of the sensory equipment, which aren´t done by Bell anyway.

Then again, a third Euro bird after the UH72A and the (probable) KC-30, and half of Congress will suffer a heart attack.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HatTrick
Couple of things:

Surely that wasn't the Bell prototype in the article's picture? That's just the OH-58 frame (OK, Bell 206 Long) with a different rotor system and engine.

As far as I know, this is it, it is the real beast, an ARH prototype made from a modified 407.

Or perhaps the training ARH prototype is based on the OH-58?

I don't know the difference of those two ships enough to say.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HatTrick
Couple of things:

We should have NEVER killed the Comanche program. That helicopter was 15 years ahead of it's time.

What's wrong with the OH-58D?? It's completely versatile, loved by her pilots and feared by the bad guys.

I feel like the gov't is trying to fix what ain't broke! Kinda like MS telling us to buy Vista when XP is working perfectly fine.

The Comanche was cancelled because much of that scout role can be done cheaper and with less risk to people, with UAVs

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

scout role can be done cheaper and with less risk to people, with UAVs

Ah - that makes sense.

half of Congress will suffer a heart attack.

So.... what's the problem??

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Comanche was a good helicopter, but it really came out too late. Would have been great to have had that in the 80s or even 90s, but now that UAVs and UCAVs are a maturing technology, well the scout role can be done better by UAVs, and the gunship role can be done just fine with AH-64s.

The idea of armed scout helicopters has had some controversy, namely do you want to arm scout helicopters? Scouting can be done often most effectively when the enemy does not know they were seen, and then the big firepower is brought to bear.

If the scout decides to attack, the surprise and advantage can be given away.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by firepilot]

new topics

top topics

join