It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules strip-search of 13-year old for ibuprofen unconstitutional

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The people that stripped searched the girl were not corrections officers.
The girl was notunder arrest.
Stripping a thirteen year old girl against her will is sexual battery and or sexual assault. Period. End of discussion.

The people conducting that search should be charged. The principal should be charged as an accomplice.

It's about time that people learn that you just can't strip search people against their will. Especially when they are not under arrest.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If I was the girl I would have said NO! and went back to class. This is an outrage, students are NOT criminals and schools are not jails. So why do they act like such?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Fortunately the courts do not agree with your opinion.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Unfortnuatly according to US Supreme court ruling in response to the school shooting at Columbine, teachers and school adminstrators have the power to "act as a parent in absence" this means that as long as the child is in the school the administration and staff are ultimately responsible. Now I am not saying that what and how they did it was right, but if parents dont want this kind of thing happening to thier kid they need to pull thier heads out of thier respective asses and whatch the news once in a while.

p.s. aspirinIBprofin can both be classified as a dangerous/illegal substance. Both of which are NSAIDs. NSAIDs have the ability to (in lamens terms) thin the blood. this can result in a serious bleeding disorder, and if used abusively can lead to stomach ulcers and eventually liver failure resluting in death. With that being said how do you know every child in that school is not allergic to NSAIDs an anaphlactic reaction is a very ugly sight, especially with children.

link   
[edit on 13-7-2008 by usaf60ces]

link   
Not sure if anyone took into account . There is a HUGE amount of the population allergic to ibuprofen .

IF it was there intention to maybe stop it from getting into one of these persons with allergy hands they should have called the parents to come and search her.

I can understand concern , As the school could be held responsible if someone died cause of her passing them out IF that was the case.

I would charge them with sexual menacing. And a few other choice charges that would not get them on a "list?" but would just the same put something on there record.

The parents could have done this legally .

[edit on 13-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
[edit on 13-7-2008 by usaf60ces]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Sorry no, these people should be taken out of the education system if they think it's ok to strip search a 13 year old girl. They don't belong in the system and maybe it would give a warning to other people working with children. If they needed to search her then they should have called her parents or at the worst the police.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Yeah and if a kid feeds yours a drug that kills them and the school could have stopped it . You'll sing an (albeit slightly) different tune.

I stated that it was handled wrong . And they should be charged with a sexual related crime . Which I'm sure will get them removed from the education system .

I'm just saying as a legal defense . And for the sake of debate. They may have saved a life. They may have ulterior motives. I tend to respect the presumption of innocence..

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I'm just saying as a legal defense . And for the sake of debate. They may have saved a life. They may have ulterior motives. I tend to respect the presumption of innocence..

Well i think i agreed with your earlier post. They could have kept her in the office and called the parents, so don't go playing the old, "If your kid got ill you'd change your mind" tune. They handled it completely wrong, should have just kept her in the office until a parent or the police arrived. I would prefer the parents.

Oh and for the record i don't have kids

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Some posters fail to understand that the court has ruled that it is unConstitutional ...and it is. The girl can and should sue the filthy vermin that humiliated her for abig bucks.

It does not matter if someone is accused...that is not enough for a strip search..no way. Students do NOT lose their rights on school grounds. Parents do NOT sign any releases that allow strip searches...read one sometime. It always stresses contacting the parents before any iontrusive actions are taken...unless it is an EMERGENCY..which is clearly was NOT!!

If the school felt they had enough probable cause to believe that the girl had contraband ( they did not from some unconfirmed accusation), then they should have called the parents and the cops and gotten a warrant to search her. Of course no judge would ever allow a warrant to search a girl just because some other kid said so...kids are notorious for lying about each other and having petty and spiteful issues...they are unreliable, totally.

So the freaks that wanted to ogle the girl, maybe with twisted tendencies( I wonder if any girls coaches were there?!) jumped at the chance to peep at the girl. Gow some aspirin? NO? Prove it!! STRIP and show us your goodies, sweetie!! WE are the power.... the authority...we tell YOu when to strip...what a sick bunch of freaks at that school..God help that school district if I were on a jury deciding damages when the girl sues....I would vote to bankrupt the ' teachers' that participated in this travesty, and the system as well...make them hurt. Then FIRE all involved and revoke their teaching credentials and make them join the list of child abusers...notify any moves..never work around kids again..mark em for life...maybe THAT would make a few other school employees wake up and take noticve!! Ya reckon?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
You seem to fail at reading comprehension as well.

Please show to me how the strip search was highly illegal and unconstitutional.

You fail at reading comprehension. A judge RULED it UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

And if you condone this type of thing you deserve to be drawn and quartered.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferengi
Just the other night I was immediately pulled over after exiting the drive thru at Burger King. For no reason! A Sheriff pulled me over, 3 other cop cars came and blocked me at all angles. The Sheriff came up to me and told me to get out the car, and had his hand on his gun, there was 3 cameras with lights flashing in my eyes. As I opened the door to step out, the sheriff jerked me out pulling me over to the other 3 cops standing outside my door. 2 other cops came and the sheriff searched my entire vehicle, found nothing, told me to go home. I asked the other officers what's going on? One replied and said "I don't know anything." I was searched down to my underwear. I live in america.

Police brutality!!!!!!!!

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Ferengi]

Could it have been mistaken identiy? Maybe they had a tip that a certain make model and color of car was doing drug business with the drive thru attendant or something?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is complete crap, the school administration and staff had no right to strip search the girl for heresay...when I was in highschool I was accused by one of my teachers to have MARSHMALLOWS...which I did have, but what is the harm is haveing a pocketfull of marshmallows?...she wanted me to empty my pockets...and then I told her that she could kiss my ass, she sent me to the principal and I told him that she had no right to tell me to empty my pokets for suspecting that I has marshmallows and he agreed. I went to the same class the next day flaunting my freedom of detention at her the whole time.
And this business about asprin or whetever light otc painkiller this was being a potentially harmfull or fatal drug if given to someone who is allergic to it is the complete crap I mentioned before....people who are in high school hopefully know if they are allergic to asprin/ibuprofin by then, and would know not to take any....also going by this kind of thinking about things being potentially harmfull to some students because they may be allergic to it then all peanut butter and jelly sandwiches should be illegal as well since a good percent of the population are extremely allergic to peanuts and other nuts to the point of certain death! I would like to see a security guard or police at all entrances to the school going through the lunches of all the students before they are allowed to enter so they could not bring their HAZARDOUS peuanut product in the premises.
These are just some sick people exercising their "POWER" over the innocent and they should be severely reprimanded for their actions. IMHO.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The strip serarch was performed by the administrative assistant who was stated as a female. It would be a much much bigger deal if it was in fact a male strip searching this girl. I can see if she said she had a gun or coc aine, heroin, crystal meth even,but ibuprofen , are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. when has strip searching ever been done like this for such a small and unimportant "drug", which i can go and get a my local shopper drugmart. If the girl said no herself to search and they proceeded then there should be massive , massive charges laid upon the entire school district. The the taxpayers can pay for compensation on something they would condem, not out of the norm. I don't even know how this woman was allowed to do this given, the privacy standards for students on which the school operates, this is not a gun or anything that can be used to harm any students by. If this was my daughter, i would drop kick this administrative assistant in the face, no one at school has the right to be strip searched as a minor, for something that is not a weapon.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

It was ibuprofen, which is not illegal, or controlled. That same little girl could have gone to the grocery store and bought the same pills. Since when did anybody agree to have KIDS stripped searched in school?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I could understand it if they just wanted to search her bags or something, but was a strip search like that really necessary?
And teachers wonder why so many parents decide to homeschool their kids...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Personally as a father (8 kids, 3 of whom are daughters), I would just wait for the principal in the teachers parking lot one afternoon.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
City police often will not have anything to do with school business, if the school has its own police. If the school does not have a female officer, the highest ranking female in the school and the nurse will perform the search. This happens everywhere, and is consented to by all the papers that are signed in registering for school.

She took an illegal (and possibly dangerous to herself or someone else) substance to school. The strip search may have been a bit over the top, but not unusual or unconstitutional.

The problem is . . . if she would have had pills, given some to a friend, and the friend died, you same people would be all up in arms about why the school did not do all it could to take the medicine away.
\
there is nothing in that paper work that says anyone can make a child take there cloths off..also thay had zero proof that she had anything in the first place...a random student or students say she did but everybody, esp teachers and ppl that work all day around kids knows that kids often make things up to get revenge on someone for any number of reasons... it would be differant if a teacher had sen her with them maybe but even than..nobody in a school has the athority to make a underage girl strip for them, and esp with out contacting the parents and having them present for it..so all in all thay were wrong and i can only hope thay get fired and are never alowed a possition that relates to children again... and im with everyone that says there would be hell to pay if i was the father in this case...i would go right in to the school and beat the principals head in with my bare hands than id make him strip and walk his ass out infront of everyone

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Some background history on ibuprofen firstly marketed as buprofen later marketed as guess what ? ADVIL , also its not abot what the drug is this was done because another girl gave a tip that this girl had this drug, I believe that schools now allowing students to carry drugs like this are fine but strip searching for advil come on, 90% the other girl wanted to get this girl in trouble. How is strip searching for advil any where close to being legal, the people who performed this act of sexual assault need to be prosecuted (I don't see any life sentences) anything less than jail basically gives the chance of retaliation from the parents.

This girl is very brave being able to talk about this. This simply isn't right and should have never happens. Anyone who thinks this is the right thing to have been done is utterly mistaken

-S.S. (those are initials not anything related to german ss)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join