It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules strip-search of 13-year old for ibuprofen unconstitutional

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
i think the parents should go to state police and report this school for sexual assualt of there child its no right of any school in this country to order a student to disrobe if nothing else this should be lewd conduct 9of a child]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
What is wrong with possessing some anti-inflammatory drug?

Dont tell me that next time we gonna get strip search for bringing panadol, aspirin, diclofenac?

This is a total joke. It is not like ibuprofen is highly dangerous.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
More of the "zero tolerance" for drugs

Schools regulate ANY drug, whether prescribed or OTC. This is to discourage misuse or students sharing medication. Now, this might work for younger grades and for, say, prescribed pain medication at the high school level. But an OTC mild pain reliever, especially for females!!, for an older student should be allowed. When do we stop babying our teenagers? When do we allow them to be responsible for their own health care?

Prescribe young people lots of drugs, but strip search a young female for ibuprofen?! Perhaps those who would strip search need to learn first hand what it entails by undergoing it themselves in this manner.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I sure hope you post nonsense like this to get a rise out of everyone.

The courts would definitely be involved if this was my daughter, not to litigate the assault but it would be me trying to beat a murder charge.

Apparently a police state is just what our children need.

BTW where are you from?....Texas?... ahhhhhhhhh!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Unfreakinbelievable, these school administrators should all be fired. A strip search for Aspirin? The should get rid of every one from the superintendent on down. Only the teachers should remain. How did our country get to be this paranoid. No one that ever attended school when I did was ever strip searched. This is beyond the pale.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
I worked for a school district for five years.

I'm wondering where along the way in the training of people who choose to work in schools believe that they can sexually assault the children and ignore the Constitution?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
so apparantly its `wrong` for a male to be involved cause he `might` be a paedofile (quite rightly - same sex for searches etc) - but , stop for a moment - one of the women *might* be a sexual predator and get erroused by seeing a young teens `private parts`

www.canadiancrc.com...

crime.about.com...

www.trentonian.com...

www.rightpundits.com...

www.local6.com...

doesn`t happen much then.....

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Only a idiot would think it is OK to strip search ANYONE for aspirin.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'll Tell You One Thing , If That Had Been My Child Or Grandchild That Had Been Subjected To This, They Would Have Had To Bring In The Whole Police Dept. To Stop Me From Beating Somebody's Ass's Half To Death . NO ONE Has The Right To Subject A Child To This Type Of Humiliation . Especially MINE ! And I Hope The Parents Of This Poor Child Sues The Living Hell Out Of The Perverts That Did This Thing Along With The Entire School District . Somebody Get Me A Rope !

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   

You all fail at reading comprehension. Before you start your tirades, try reading the story first!

This happens everywhere, and is consented to by all the papers that are signed in registering for school.

She took an illegal (and possibly dangerous to herself or someone else) substance to school. The strip search may have been a bit over the top, but not unusual or unconstitutional.

Just because this happens in the school district where you worked does not mean that it happens everywhere. It wasn't that long ago that my sons were in school and i never signed any papers allowing them to strip search my children. There were several papers that i did not agree with when registering my sons for school, so i did not sign them and they could not prevent my sons from going to school because i refused to sign certain papers. My brothers children are still in school and i can tell you that he signed no such permission slip either.

And excuse me but it would seem that you also must fail at reading comprehension and maybe you should read the story since you stated that she brought an illegal substance to school. No where in the article does it say that she brought an illegal subtance to school, nor does it say that she was even accused of bringing an illegal subtance to school. She was accused of bringing ibuprofen to school, which is not an illegal substance, it is merely against school policy for the students to posses any medications in school, that does not make it an illegal substance. Weed, coke, crack,herion,etc those are illegal substances, not ibuprofen. And since they did not find any medication on her or in her possesion, you are wrong when you say that she brought it to school with her.

You may think it not unusual or unconstitutional, however forcing a young girl to strip and expose her private parts to anyone is sexual abuse and that is against the law.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good for her. She should also press sexual assault charges.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I believe that the school had every right to strip search that person. I know the pills that I took when i went to school could severely damage a person. If she hands another kid a aspirin and if the kid was allergic to it. The kid could die or become very ill. Its just that people will always have something to complain about. They took the kid into the nurses office and had a female present in the search so there should be no worries. At my formal school they even say don't take any pills to school. It is more of a safety issue than a "terrorist" thing. So lets all stop defended the kid when she was in the wrong for bringing the pills to school.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
If that would have been my daughter i would have done some serious harm to someone. This is unbelievable. Don't people have enough sense not to do something like this to a 13 year old girl? That girl will probably be affected by this for a long time.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Honestly, in the same position, I think my dad would've had to show up and hand out a few ass beatings.

But a lot parents these days are docile and lazy, probably from all the happy pills we are forced into thinking we need.
as a father i can honestly say, i would have handed out a few beatings, and i would have been arrested with a huge smile on my face knowing it was worth it...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I think the judge hit the nail on the head in his first four words: "Common sense informs us" The problem is that common sense seems to be lacking heavily these days by teachers and school administrators.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm getting such a kick out of the replies to this thread. Such a mixture of informed and uninformed opinions.

One, there was no "pedophilia" aspect to this incident. Stop spreading BS.
Two, the girl didn't have any medication on her, stop claiming she did. She was accused by a classmate who was trying to take the blame off themselves. The search was based on hearsay and not evidence.
Three, the court made the right decision, sadly it was to late to prevent this incident.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Hang on a second, they stripped searched a 13 year old girl. Now i understand the police can do that, but a school? Couldn't this easily be turned into a sexual abuse case? This is absolutely disgusting, i thought we in the UK had some tricky times coming but there in the US you're way ahead in this area.

I hope this girl recovers from such an ordeal, i then hope her parents get all involved fired (you would think a nurse would say it's wrong and bad for the girls mental state). After having them fired i hope they're all sued and maybe imprisoned.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You seem to fail at reading comprehension as well.

(...snip...)

Please show to me how the strip search was highly illegal and unconstitutional.

Dear xxpigxx,

To answer your request, I point you to the decision by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals concerning said strip search.

Might I point out the irony in your accusation of other people's failure in reading comprehension when it was actually you who was unable to comprehend what you had read in the article posted in the original post. If you had been able to comprehend the statement laid out in simple English that the strip search was determined to be unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, then you wouldn't have had to ask other people state that obvious fact.

Furthermore, I certainly hope you are no longer working for a school district where you might have authority to violate our children (i.e. pull their under garments to the side to look at their genitals), since you are so obviously mistaken in the belief that violating our children's U.S. Constitutional rights is an OK thing for you to do.

Good day.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
according to a judicial ruling teachers and administrators act as the parent in the school environment. That is not to say that the actions these people took was to the maximum extent and should be disciplined. If parents dont want these things happening to thier kids they need to pull thier head out of thier asses and watch the news once in awhile.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join