It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Probably Don't Communicate Via Primitive Radio Waves So Why Is SETI Looking For Them?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

It is my understanding that only a small number of people know the entire truth concerning aliens (officially that is). Info is given out on a need to know basis. It may be that SETI personnel know about it through personal research on the web and other media, just like us, and were not briefed officially. Searching for radio waves may be all they're doing, but they wouldn't be doing it if the powers that be controlling 'disclosure' didn't find it useful to their agenda somehow.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

I find the 'people' working at SETI to be forthright and honest and believe they are telling the truth when they state their objectives.

Dr. Jill Tarter, Seth Shostak, and others exude integrity.

OTOH, SETI may be worthless (see the SETI Paradox) and active SETI dangerous, at best.

If ET were here we'd have already been wiped out by their microorganisms soon after their arrival (see Chaos Theory).

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Well first of all I believe alot of people are used as 'unwitting' disinformation agents. They are just disseminating the information that they have been manipulated into discovering by way of controlling funding and issueing policies that effectively steer the research in a prescribed direction. They are most likely a high profile aspect of the government acclimation project.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Seems Dr. Michio Kaku agrees with you Mssmartypants.
He thinks the methods being used by SETI are quite primitive and limited for finding "Intelligent" life.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I'm with Zaphod58 on this one. I've founded a small SETI search team and run SETI@Home on BOINC most days. I'm not going to stop looking because "Aliens probably don't communicate via primitive radio waves." They may not now, but they could well have in the past. Space is said to be quite large, you know, and a potential hit could take thousands upon thousands of years to reach us. And, Ma'am, how do you know there isn't a planet out there somewhere with a civilisation similar somewhat to our own, beaming bromidic gibberish, day in, day out, up off into the sky after the populace has ingested it?

Who knows what's floating around out there, and for how long? Nothing may ever be found, or we may never be told about it even if it is, but at least we will have had a look -- have made some kind of effort.

Thank you.

Good night.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Excellant execellant find. Great addition to the thread. If you saw Seth Shostak of SETI on Larry King last night he looked a bit chagrined at times at the shear weight of the evidence being presented. If we have this information simply by watching a youtube video doesn't SETI have it?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

You know, you're right. We've been beaming episodes of "I Love Lucy' out to alien civilizations for decades now. Wouldn't it be a hoot to receive some alien 'Lucy' in return?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for SETI being greatly expanded upon (perhaps not unsimilarly to that suggested in the video above), but who's going to crunch all that extra data? It's a struggle as it is, and if you increase the workload a multiple thousand-fold, who's going to do it? As insufficient as it may be, SETI@Home as it is today is pretty much all we've got.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

what about this new generation of super computers that was in the news not to long ago. But perhaps even that technology won't be sufficient to decipher or even recognize the different wavelengths of signals as being a separate part of a composite signal. Like the ants Michio was talking about, we won't even know it's there.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
what about this new generation of super computers that was in the news not to long ago. But perhaps even that technology won't be sufficient to decipher of even recognize the different wavelengths of signals as being a separate part of a composite signal. Like the ants Michio was talking about, we won't even know it's there.

They would certainly help, but whether SETI gets any of them will be a whole other matter. Government and military will probably buy them all up and use them to sift through the overwhelming amount of data collected by their [EXPLICIT global spy grid. (I jest)

There's a great deal of information to crunch at SETI, even as it operates now. Their current machines can't even remotely handle the amount, that's why they created SETI@Home to help carry the burden. It's all very well saying “oh, SETI doesn't do this, or SETI only looks in certain places, here, and here,” but to be realistic for a moment, what else are they supposed to do? The funding just isn't there.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

sure, I was just as excited as anyone else when SETI first came to be and just as disapointed when they lost their government funding. And subsequently releaved when they got their private funding. It was as if we were leaping into the future.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

How in the world would SETI be able to detect wormholes, tachyons and ESP?

That's probably why they are using radio waves?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The SETI people couldn't find ET if he was sitting in their lap. It's all about lifetime employment.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

SETI is an absolute front and joke for that matter.

The shadows in power positions, military,government, bureau's those who are selected to hold this information all know very well that ET"s exist and have been here for thousands of years.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Malevolent_Aliens

Of course but has the internet made it harder for them to control the disemination of the truth and perhaps pushed forward the disclosure timetable. Or was it the aliens themselves who are pushing the issue?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What if ET never needed communication as they are all telepathic?? Just a thought....

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Because at some point in time alien races WERE using radio to communicate, even it was just with themselves. Signals don't just stop when they reach the receivers. There are tv broadcasts from Earth that are still winging their way across the stars. All the broadcasts to our probes didn't just stop. That's what SETI is looking for, those older broadcasts that have taken this long to get to us.

Then why haven't WE picked up THEIR "Radio" Broadcasts? AH HAH AH HAH?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Like many others, I have been saying this since SETI started. Thank God someone reputable like National Geographic is saying it too. I get that space is big, and radio waves take a long time to travel but:

Because at some point in time alien races WERE using radio to communicate

That's a big call. Do you have any kind of substantiation to justify not only a concrete certainty, but an upper case one?
Seriously though, you just can't say. Maybe they skipped right over radio communication. Maybe the atmosphere isn't conducive to radio waves.

It's just quite arrogant to assume 'what we do/have done, they do/have done'. It's an arrogance along the same lines as 'planets capable of supporting life'. We just can't assume that everything out there is like us, because in a universe as big as ours, it's far more likely to be different than it is to be the same.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Alien Contact More Likely by "Mail" Than Radio, Study Says

A far more energy efficient way of communicating over great interstellar distances is to send a physical object with encoded information..."Our calculations suggest that it's not only more energy efficient to send a package than radio waves," he said, "it's outrageously more efficient."

So why is SETI spending all this money looking for radio waves? Or is that just an expensive cover for a different kind of research? Those SETI people are neither stupid or uninformed. They aren't just sitting there wasting their time...but what are they doing?

Because SETI is a scam to make us think they are actually looking for aliens until they decide they announce we have made contact, which has actually happened centuries ago if you look at history. Either Seth Shostak is in on it or he is a complete dumbass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join