It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My take on why all the ufo media attention of late.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
First thread I have started in absolutely ages, I normally just prefer reading posts by other authors on this site.

Anyway I was thinking that the massive media attention being paid to the UFO phenomena currently as nothing to do with coming disclosure. Personally I think it comes down to the news outlets having nothing positive to push on us anymore.

Everyday its doom and gloom and it seem pretty obvious that it’s going to get an awful lot worse over the coming months. Most folks wont buy a newspaper that consistently reports depressing news so this is where the UFO storys come in. They just distract from the dire situation we are now in and of course keep selling papers & advertising space for the TV news slots.

Personally I think its very possible that UFO’s by which I mean aliens may be visiting this planet, when they make themselves known though it won’t be one page 1 of the Sun!

Regards

Paul

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hello Paul -- Interesting thoughts. By distractions, do you see the reporting phenomenon as an artificially-contrived occurance to focus attention away from the otherwise perceived downward spiral of some societies? Something along those lines? Just curious.

I think it has become more socially acceptable to report things that are unusual, with perhaps a little less derision than in the past, and therefore, more people are coming forward. I think many people who make UFO reports are still treated unfairly, but perhaps less so overall, and as the numbers grow, that paints a move favorable environment for the next person to take a chance and tell what they saw or experienced. I think also the more people that are openminded to the possibilities, the more things will change favorably toward us all FINally KNOWING someday that the phenomenon exists. I believe it to be real.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Hello Paul -- Interesting thoughts. By distractions, do you see the reporting phenomenon as an artificially-contrived occurance to focus attention away from the otherwise perceived downward spiral of some societies? Something along those lines? Just curious.

Thanks for the post; yes this is pretty much exactly what I was getting at. Simple put I think the recent spate of press reporting is nothing more than a distraction. If news papers were reporting some of the stories we can read about on ATS then I think people would be getting pretty worried and angry.

Governments don’t tend to like the angry members of society as they can lead to change, people worrying are ok, as again they just remain distracted from the bigger picture. What is the bigger picture? , Well in my mind the bigger pictures boils down to an over populated planet with limited resources. We have countries that have the technology to wipe the world out and we are heading into a worldwide depression that will very likely end in a war of global scale

So keep us distracted keep us in line. Problem is I think that everyone will wake up sooner rather than later but to be honest it’s probably to late now!

Ha I think I need to work on my optimism!! Still you never know may be the aliens really are here to save us J

Regards

Paul

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have to admit that I don't watch the news any more. I agree with you on your points -- it's mostly fluff, and sensationalized fluff at that. I don't trust the news groups to report what is important to me, simple as that. I used to watch Glenn Beck a lot, and still would, IF DirecTV hadn't changed the location of thier satellite, which resulted in yet another channel dropping off. We have a six-foot dish. I can pick up NBC on a Florida feed. No, I get my news of the world from the 'net, which necessitates cross-referencing stories reported and a lot of fact-checking. There is SO much spin attached to everything, it's difficult to sift through it all and find out what really happened.

I think many people just slump their shoulders and watch the news, thinking to themselves that they are seeing the worst of what happened yesterday, and therefore, if once accepts that concept, things are not so bad.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have to admit that I don't watch the news any more. I agree with you on your points -- it's mostly fluff, and sensationalized fluff at that. I don't trust the news groups to report what is important to me, simple as that. I used to watch Glenn Beck a lot, and still would, IF DirecTV hadn't changed the location of thier satellite, which resulted in yet another channel dropping off. We have a six-foot dish. I can pick up NBC on a Florida feed. No, I get my news of the world from the 'net, which necessitates cross-referencing stories reported and a lot of fact-checking. There is SO much spin attached to everything, it's difficult to sift through it all and find out what really happened.

I think many people just slump their shoulders and watch the news, thinking to themselves that they are seeing the worst of what happened yesterday, and therefore, if once accepts that concept, things are not so bad.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I was thinking it was because the main stream media gets their stories from the internet.

www.youtube.com...

There's got to be at least a few reporters with an interest in sci-fi, and some of them probably read ATS.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well yes I agree completely that the Internet as played a large part in fuelling the medias interest in the matter. In the UK a lot of the papers that have running these stories are local town papers. These papers generally report nothing news worthy at all accept local matters such as closures of local Post Offices etc. What they do contain is no end of advertisements mainly from estate agents selling property.

Seems that since the UK property market as stagnated and people have stopped looking at the property section with such optimism the UFO stories have appeared.
A similar thing as happened with the UK nationals, now obviously the Sun will never be taken as a serious news outlet by anyone, but it is the UK’s biggest selling paper and just putting UFO’s on the front page will sell a lot more papers than say a headline about how the UK economy is going down the pan. Broadsheets such as the Telegraph which is a fairly right ring conservative business friendly paper are also publishing these stories at an alarming frequency, again I feel this is just to fill column inches that otherwise might have to be used for bad news.

I want to point out that I am not saying that these recent sightings are being made up, just that perhaps a year ago they would not have made it into the news, ultimately I guess any publicity on the subject is good publicity but I do fear the press can just use this as a source they can treat with humour and something that people read for entertainment. I mean the reality of real disclosure coming from the news would be such a serious event I wonder if it could be handled correctly?

Regards

Paul

new topics

top topics

join