It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

takeing seed with you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

EDIT: read down on the first link dont look at the first box, it dosent list everything the fruit offers. although it is important to coinsider.

here is the nutritional value of watermelon:

www.nutritiondata.com...

this fruit is loaded and very healthy. you may have to eat a good bit but it would stand to reason you could survive on watermelon.

read the last paragraph of this link. if you dont read the whole thing its not long at all.
darwin.nmsu.edu...

this is an interesting read. how to maximize the nutrition of the melon
drbenkim.com...

apperantly it helps with your libido. like i said you have to eat a good deal of it but i think you could live off of it. i wouldnt recomend to do it for extened periods but for a short time it could probably save your life.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 15amu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Nutrition data is the website i generally use and from their own figures it only has minimal amounts of other vitamins and minerals. You would need to eat a massive amount of it to come close to your daily requirement for many substances. I would suggest that eating so much of it would cause you to be rather ill as shoving any one food down your throat tends to make you unwell.

It's a good food, and definitely one i love but it doesn't provide everything and any food can be used short term to support yourself. People have survived for months on nothing but grain. I love watermelon though and wish it was easily grown here i England

Guess i'll stick to strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries to gain the majority of nutrients i need. Please check out my "make a Local Food Map" thread for some interesting info.

I'm also beginning to consider planting various crops around my local area and then just leaving them to it, i know they'll be there ready to be eaten.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

you are right you can survive from eating almost anything for short amounts of time. but i found a site some where that sugested watermelon was one of the better foods for that and that may have been for the amount of water in them if nothing else, i posted a lot of links but let me dig alittle deeper and see if i can find it again. if nothing else it was a good read. and yes i will read your thread. could you please post a link for me. as i am lazy and to want to use the convinet search bar at the top of the page.
thanks..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Np at all, i'll throw up a link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hmm i'm beginning to see the limitations of the new character limit as i had to type all this stuff to link this for you. Yay i got the limit.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

thanks for the link.

i remember a year or so back. i dont know when they started this limit thing. you could right one word. its a good idea though it cuts down on the pointless posts. although they still slip through, but not nearly as much. but im sure you were already aware of this...

[edit on 15amu112007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Whitewave,

Concerning your posts on page 1 of this thread. I have not heard of Amaranth. This is a new one to me. I looked it up on Wiki so this is a new line of thinking. My question here concerns how this is eaten or prepared. My first imprerssion is that this is eaten as a salad type food. Is this correct?

Also the concept of spreading some of the seed about ahead of time on a route you would take to egress is a good one. I like that concept.

Still looking for certain kinds of seed here. Have put away some organic seed and vacuum packed it for storage. Will be doing some more of this over the weekend.

Thanks for the lead on Amaranth.

Orangetom

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

No problem, OT. Amaranth is a highly nutritious plant, extremely easy to grow, has a high yield. Here's a link.

The ultimate survival food continues to be pemican. If you add fruit to it you can live on it alone for months. When I do my batches of pemican, I make about half of them with fruit. Lived off of nothing but pemican for one month just to see how long I could and finally got to the point where I'd rather miss a meal than eat pemican one more time but I had no ill effects so it can be done.

Another nutritious and useful plant is horseradish plant. The roots are usually what are used but you can also eat the leaves (and twigs). It's high in lycopene (same as in tomatoes) and has the added benefit of cleaning pollutants out of water. Bonus!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Thanks for the info. i was unaware of it. except the raddish.

REPLY TO EVERYONE
______________________________________________________________________________________

im sitting here wondering about fertlizers that can be found in the wild or made easly. and maybe a natrual herbicide and pesticides. i know the juices of some plants are great pesticides but i just dont know what those some plants are. except maybe tobacco, great inceticide...

I know fish and poo are great, and i grew up on a farm so ive never tried organic fertlizers or making my own. but there have to be more options incase these 2 are not available in large enought quanties at the time they are needed. plus fish is a great source of food, in a survival situation it would be wasteful and un-wise, at least that is the way i see it.

ANY IDEA's? thanks in advance for anything you have to offer.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

DG I made a list of pesticides on another thread. May have to search around for it since I don't remember the name of the thread. I'll repost if I can't find it.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Here ya go. Useful herbs It's about halfway down the page.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
im sitting here wondering about fertlizers that can be found in the wild or made easly. and maybe a natrual herbicide and pesticides. i know the juices of some plants are great pesticides but i just dont know what those some plants are. except maybe tobacco, great inceticide...

Leaf mold is an easy one to make. Simply gather all the dead leaves you can each year, chuck them in a bin with a lid, or plastic bags and leave them to it (haha punny goodness). It sometimes takes 2 years to break down fully and the resultant fertilizer is quite acidic so only useful for certain crops or mixed in with other stuff.

The alternative is simply to chop down tons of weeds and chuck them in a pile, along with cuttings from your garden, any left over fruit and veg etc. We do that every year and make great fertilizer. Each year with all the household waste including paper and cardboard, the stalks and stems from the allotment, weeds from the garden and more we make around 200 liters of fertilizer.

For anything else, i would just suggest you use more land than you require and use basic crop rotation. That should save the land from being overworked. In the fields you leave alone make sure to establish clover and other plants. I would also recommend planting it with some kind of vetch. You let that grow, let it die and then just mix it into the soil. This way the soil gets enriched as the clover fixes nitrogen from the air and the vetch attracts all sorts of insects and animals which end up dying or defecating on your field.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join