It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is $4.00+ gas really affecting you??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

My family is NOT well off. My dad who was the main source of our income died 9 years ago, and my mom works as a cafeteria worker. We barely get enough income to do anything anymore. At least the house is paid off, but...

Saying that the price of gas wont affect anyone is plainly narrow minded and rude.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopup Dave

I'm not suggesting you get on your bike.
But Americans should stop burning resources like there's no tomorrow
with no side effects or responsibilities.
The Average US car is now more than 2 Tons!, I think I know how
Elvis would have felt just walking to the bathroom.
You need 4 times the power to move 2 tons as opposed to 1 Ton at
the same speed. And the Average Mileage is a paltry 20MPG, that
really is pathetic compared with the rest of the world.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

OOOOOOOO IS THE COST OF GAS AFFECTING ME... YOU BETCHA! I have 2 boys, 1 is a special needs child. I could not return to work after he was born and have been living on the tightest budget for 2 years now. It hurts going from a 2 income family to a 1 income family without notice! We go to NUMEROUS Therapy appointments 4 days a week and I try to do errands while I am out and schedule other doctor appointments while I am out as well, but the mileage adds up fast! We usually drive over 200 "medical miles" every single month! Last year he had 3 surgeries, so on top of high gas prices, high food prices we are trying to keep up with his medical bills. He needs another surgery, but it is not life threatening or anything so we are able to put it off for probably 6 months to a year to pay down some bills. Oviously I would max out every credit card if I needed to for his medical bills. So yeah to answer your question the gas prices are really killing us! And on top of all the other increases we just found out our power company is upping the rates by 11% beginning Sept 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some days I could just scream. We have planted a garden in our backyard to help with the food bills, hopefully my veggies will grow =)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

I am also from KY and I totally agree with you about Temp Services should be outlawed.. I think they are a crime against humanity!

It is the same in my area as far as jobs go. To find a decent paying job it is 25 miles one direction, I'm talking manufacturing. or 30 miles another direction.
Like I said I drive an Suv.. There wouldn't be no way in heck I could ever sell it. I see people everywhere with these big gas guzzlers with for sale signs in them.
Good Luck Is what I say. My problem is I still owe on mine.

Talking about onions, Walmart is selling vadalia onions for , get this, $3.78 a piece. Another thing, minimum wage went up to $6.55 an hour. Whoopie!!

I would like to see these big government rich jerks try and make it on that.
They can't say they understand what the people are going thru because they haven't been there. Let them try and choose between gas or the necessities of life. For pete sakes Ive started saving aluminum cans, maybe I could use it for my gas fund. Oh and my fat piggy bank is getting a little thin. I can't feed him as much as I use to..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It's affecting me and people around me. Now I have to come up with more of the extra money for college transportation(since no buses run out here and too far to ride a bike and too dangerous), I'm stuck using my car for the long trip and as well as for work, and general errands.
A lot of businesses are higher their prices of retail, as well as some going out of business. Two local retail shops have moved due to less people traveling further for the services. One business posts-or to the effect of, "Sorry but due to the high gas and now higher food prices we have to go up in price."

[edit on 15-7-2008 by dreamingawake]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Is $4.00+ gas really affecting you??

Nope: The car is parked on the driveway for all I care.

All I do is stay home the whole day, wait by the phone for some stinking job to help pay for the repair of my automatic transmission, which would cost somewhere in the thousands of dollars that I don’t have!

On top of that, I donated my bicycle and I sure as heck don’t know how to transfer buses to get anywhere. Boo! Hoo!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think we should be honest withe the rest of the world and accept coming $8/gal price since this is how much they pay in europe even $10/gal in holland; our transportation is based on trucks but should be on railing like in europe because is cheap - one engines holes 100 trailers insteadt of one engine hauling 1 trailer waste of energy if u ask me

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Out of curiousity, how many of you are putting more of your gas bill and for that matter food, utilities etc on your credit card?

Many articles stating the next shoe to drop is the Credit industry.....02c

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It affects us because my husband has to drive an hour and half each way to work each day . Instead of driving my nice air conditioned altima, he drives his old 92 chevey because it gets 33 mpg. It has 200,000 miles on it, no air conditioning, and this is Arizona,lol

The car is an eyesore, been in two wrecks, and I wish it would disappear .

All the paint is coming off, but my husband likes to brag about his low gas mileage and the fact that the car is still running. I think hes nuts,lol Personally I would drive my car even though it gets 25 just for the air conditioning alone,lol

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Luckily, my husband has a company car and they pay for his gas. He drives a lot. He has a fuel efficient car, but he still goes through $200 worth of gas a week.

My daughter was in a program through school where she was allowed to go to a technical school. We didn't know at the time, the school was 20 miles away. For two years, I have been driving her 20 miles there, then drive the 20 back home, and in 5 hours drive the same to pick her up and back home again. Eighty miles a day, five days a week. Five hours is a lot of time to kill to save 40 miles.
I'm so glad she is done with it now. It did save her money in the long run, but man that took a chunk of money! Some kids who went to the same school in the same district were driven by school bus. The kids that lived the farthest out where responsible for their own transportation.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by virraszto]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
These gas prices have definitely hurt my income budget. I am a fulltime student, paying for my education, and working part time at a grocery store. Mind you I started at minimum wage and am not making much more than that. I have to nickle and dime my self just to get to work. That's with absolutely no self luxuries. I have never had enough money for those. I'm just glad that I have a loving husband and a great family, because there is absolutely no way that my husband and I would be able to pay for a house, car, and insurance. Never mind the cost of food, gas and other living necessities.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

Yes. My husband and I both have long commutes and we dont' make a lot of money to begin with. Now gas is costing us 400$ a month.

I am starting to trim what little we had.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's not affecting me and my husband too much. My round trip for work is only 18 miles and thats about a gallon of gas (I get 21 mpg city). We usually are able to get through two to two and a half weeks on one tank of gas. The hubby uses the bus and I drop him at his stop as it is on the way to my work.

Tela

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I must work for 2 hours to pay for the commute. I need to live closer to work.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Try $10 per gallon like in the UK. I have a little 1.5L car and travel 250 miles per week to and from work. That costs me $85 per week.
You are complaining now, but the price will only keep increasing, just like it is for us here. People in the US will begin to buy more sensible cars (perhaps even diesels!!!) as it hits home that the cost of motoring takes more of your wages. I would personally love to own a sports car, but I just can't justify "wasting" the extra money for the few frills I would get perhaps 1% of my driving time.
Basically, get used to it. The price will continue to increase.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Anyone thought of selling there cars, house(stop paying rent or mortgage) and buying a used motor home or bus to live in? That could get you closer to your work, heck if you worked at Wal-mart you could be steps from home!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Of course it is, It's less money to pay the bills and more to fill the tank. It's causing people to seriously sell off their SUV's and Vans because of the high prices.

Car manufacturer are closing plants that make suv's and vans putting hundreds out of jobs, that's a big deal!
Oddly enough but some car companies aren't even having a problem like Ferrari Lamborghini, etc... Their customers can afford gas even if it was $9 gallon

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I guess I can say that it is not really affecting me, nor do I expect it to either.

I traded in my car that got 29 MPG city and 38 MPG hwy for a sports car I have wanted for years. I would really like to have been able to afford both payments because of the MPG of the other car but oh well. My new car gets less than 20 MPG city depending on how spirited I drive. Though I am looking into different modifications that will not only provide more power but also better MPG as well (stock car runs pretty rich). I do miss being able to use some of the cash only regular fuel stations though, now I have to buy premium. I drive mostly rural area 32 miles round trip. Normally don’t go anywhere on my days off as I have other things to do anyway.

After I got this car my wife traded her car that got very close to the same MPG as the car I traded for a van. Needless to say it gets less MPG as well. She drives 15 miles round trip. The van is something nice she wanted for convenience with our son. My car is a dream that was realized when I found one at a price I could afford.

We are not rich or well off by any means I think we just manage money better than we used too also we no longer smoke and praying seems to help as well.

Raist

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity what sports car did you get?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join