It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is $4.00+ gas really affecting you??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by hildar
My husband and his men work in construction so when you have 5 work trucks some times going over 250 miles in one day, Yes the price effects us a lot. I know we are about ready to give up on the construction business all together due to the price of gas going up so high. Its around $3.97 here but if the guys need gas near Raleigh its over $4 a gallon.

Hilda

I also have a construction business. Just add a surcharge and figure that into your estimate for the job. Now that I do that, I do not pay for any gas at all. The surcharge doesnt have to be alot, it could be a couple hundred bucks added to the job to offset cost of the rise in gas prices. As for the original question, they are not really effecting me except for the shock when I see how much it cost to fill my tank up. But by me driving smarter and keeping my car running smoothly (tire pressure, oil changes) I am getting better gas mileage then ever before. Also my spending habits have changed slightly. I actually think twice before purchasing something I don't really need. You be suprised how much you can save by not buying unnecessary items. Of course this (not buying those items) effects the economy in a neg. way. I think that the gas prices have a more negative overall effect on the econmony than most individuals. I do feel for the people who were already living on a tight budget before gas prices went up. Those who can't make those cut backs on necessities. And those that have to commute long ways to work, also mostly truckers. However for the most part most of us can make small daily changes in our lives to more than offset the cost of gas. It could be worse, gas in the UK is way higher and it is 11$+ in Turkey. And in the long run this huge price increase might be good. Think off all the technology that is going to be available in the next 3-5 years. Think of all those SUV's that are going to be off the road. THis should be an enviormentalist dream. I am guess that in three to five years gas will be back at around 2.00-2.50/gallon. And in ten years you probably will be able to get gas for 1/gallon or less. As people buy gas saving cars and cut back on driving gas reserves will go way up causing gas and oil prices to start to fall.. Then when the speculators start to panic, the oil buble will burst hard. And I cannot wait for that day!

[edit on 13-7-2008 by tide88]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I too own a small construction company. I increased my prices by .50$/foot. That pays for the extra gas, but not for the increase in my material prices due to the high gas prices. My material costs have gone up over 50% in the last 2 years. All of my competition in the area has gone out of business, so at least people have little choice when using me. If I were to raise my prices any higher though, I would be more expensive than pavers (I do decorative concrete), and that wouldn't be good.

Food prices here in central Florida have gone up over 20% in the last year, and my electric bill is going up 20% next month. These factors are seriously hurting my family. Also, my customer base has gone down by 50% because of the mortgage crisis. People always paid me in the past by taking money out of their equity. Now, there is less equity, and therefore less people that can afford my services. My local supplier's business is down 75% this year, they tell me that I'm about the only customer they have left.

The high gas prices are seriously hurting small businesses across the nation. Not through the price at the pump, but by all of the prices going up because of the high price of gas. (not to mention the outragious cost of insurance)

STOP THE SPECULATION ON THE COMMODITIES MARKET!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It must not be affecting people here in Texas that badly. I had to travel out of town yesterday and you wouldn't believe the number of large trucks, many of them 4x4's, and SUVs I saw on the road. I mean they were EVERYWHERE!

$4 a gallon? Hah! People here in Tx must like to ignore a problem until it goes away or have really thick skulls.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I asked for a raise just to cover my increased costs ,not for all the experience i have gained working for the same company for 2 and a half years.i got 50 cents and I need more than that to cover my increased expenses.That will cover gas ,but not food and the higher electric bills due to rate increases.I am worse off today.With the job market the way it is I don't know if I should risk taking another job.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I went to the supermarket yesterday and my jaw dropped at the price increases. The supermarket just increased there prices, some products up to 100%! So people who say that the gas increase isnt affecting them since they take mass transit or dont drive as much arent paying attention. Its affecting everyone in some way or another.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not really - but if it didn't cost $170 AUD per hour to fly an aircraft I'd have my PPL by now.

Oh well, looks like I'll HAVE to go the Air Force route. What a pitty (sarcasm).

[edit on 13/7/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply topost by wolf241e

To tell you the truth it is people like you with your moral that make gas so expensive. Were I live tourisum is big, what I have notice is that since the gas has come up, I never seen so many tourist in my life. P.s.
Thank you for being a machine

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Every one wants to bitch and moan about gas prices, and all that goes with it, but you people continue to put the same type people in office. You put the rich in, you get the same out. So this country gets exactly what it wants. Screwd!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
well...

job's here in kentucky ...we have to go threw a temporary service to even get on to work..so we work for maybe 90 day's before they consider anyone for full time.

And we have to drive at least 25 mile's to work one way.

And temporary service's only pay...6.25 a hour.

so for 1 hour work i get a gallon of gas and a soda pop lol

not even gonna get started milk egg's ect.. price's are high too.

Btw in kentucky all factory's in my part only consider you if you are from the temporary service.

not to mention if you make 6.25 a hour..your not driving a new car..your lucky if you have a car that gets 10 miles to the gallon..and at least run's lol

and 95% of the time they let you go after the 90 day's..so they don't have to hire you full time.

so yes it hurt's america.
ANd temporary service's need to be outlawed!!!!!!

factory's around southern Kentucky 80% wont even take a application..because of the temp service's.

i bought 4 onion's at super walmart cost me 4.80cent...there's a hours pay from a temp service for 4 onion's.
i guess a hour of a man's life is only worth 4 onion's to America lol

40 hour week's makes 250 dollar's a week
after tax's 190 180 dollars

rent gas utility's food ect...we have to work a 2nd job and still struggle with price's going up.

cause 2 paycheck's is what it take's to pay rent..rest is gas and barely food

government housing take's minority's..black Hispanic ect... before white poor people in need.
one of the question's on application is DO YOU HAVE A INTERRACIAL CHILD!!!
and minority's have it bad in America lol

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
You have got to be kidding me. Most people don't even eat organic so your dog is appearently eating healthier than most people, lol. That's California for you I guess

Most people don't eat organic because they don't realize that the non-organic food is toxic and genetically modified. Why do you think such a majority of the population is on prescription medications and dying of cancer?

Hiking up the gas prices has an even bigger negative effect than most people even realize. It forces them to buy cheap food instead of healthy food. More sick people results in more money for the medical and pharma industries.

One person here previously stated their dog is eating cheap walmart dogfood and pooping a lot and losing weight. They seemed to think this was a good thing but it's not. The dog will eventually get sick and die and this is what will happen to people as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Oh man what I would do to have are petrol at $4, Americans have it easy its nothing to what we pay in the UK. We even have more car tax coming in.....

Gasoline Prices by Country

Hey you might be paying more than Azerbaijan now

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i have a 74 mile round trip each day. but at 4 days a week.
i drive my car (cage) very conservatively (it being a sport car) to save fuel.
my gas budget is basically a car payment.

we now call gas "money". "how much cash do you have? oh about 2 tank fulls"...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well things are deteriorating rapidly here in my neck of the woods.

Yesterday the gas was 3.98, today is a whooping 4.05 for unleaded, that's what my car takes.

So I guess we will see 5 dollars by the end of the summer, with an over night breeze prior to elections (to help McCain campaign) and then the final slap that will probably cause a nations collapse in the transportation.

People will have to decide if using their cars to even go to work is worth the expenses.

It be just as good to stay home and apply for well fare.

BTW my littler town is having a big problem with abandon cars along the highway due to running out of gas lately

[edit on 13-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I don't drive unless I absolutely have to and I buy gasoline a gallon or two at a time.

I remember when gas was cheap, not just in the value of the dollar of the day, but when the gas budget was minimal.

In the seventies, that changed and even though there have been periods when gasoline was less of a crunch on the budget, things have never been the way they were prior to the seventies.

So, I'm pretty used to expensive gas, but this is riduculous, especially when you consider what I pay on my car note and my insurance and maintenance, just so I can spend four dollars a gallon on gas.

I think we're all being taken for a ride.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I don't drive unless I absolutely have to and I buy gasoline a gallon or two at a time.

I remember when gas was cheap, not just in the value of the dollar of the day, but when the gas budget was minimal.

In the seventies, that changed and even though there have been periods when gasoline was less of a crunch on the budget, things have never been the way they were prior to the seventies.

So, I'm pretty used to expensive gas, but this is riduculous, especially when you consider what I pay on my car note and my insurance and maintenance, just so I can spend four dollars a gallon on gas.

I think we're all being taken for a ride.

$4 gas isn't really that bad for the average driver unless you drive a gas guzzler (truck, SUV). If you own one of those, but it's not used for work, then I would suggest trading down to a smaller vehicle and if the crunch is still bad I would suggest getting a second job or looking into carpooling/public transit. Compared to prices around the world, the U.S has cheap prices.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Text Redreply to post by wolf241e

These two videos prove that the present wars being fought over oil never needed to happen. The million killed Iraqi men, women, and children never needed to happen. It's all been a gigantic mass murdering fraud for the profits of oil and war.

www.waterfuelcell.org... /
video.google.com...

Read more about this world class tragedy and watch more excellent videos about this subject at this site:

waterpoweredcar.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It has definately affected me but it could be a lot worse, I drive an accord and it would cost me $40 to fill up, now it's $60-65, I don't drive for fun as much as I use to but it could be a lot worse (Hopefully it won't be).

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

Part 1

The Water Car
Schuyler Ebbets

There are not words to describe the magnitude of this tragedy. It is the greatest injustice in history as it effects all of humanity and the earth. This catastrophe exceeds the burning of the Royal Library of Alexandria in the fourth century A.D., which set back the industrial revolution by a thousand years.

This scientific advancement is greater than the discovery of electricity by Benjamin Franklin, greater than the day Edison switched on his Pearl Street generating station's electrical power distribution system changing our world forever. It surpasses the achievements of Nikola Tesla who's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current and helped usher in the second industrial revolution.

This one invention dwarfs all preceding achievements because it undoes all of the evil and destruction and human enslavement, which has resulted from man's past relationship with science and technology. It would have completely eliminated global warming as it relates to the burning of fossil fuels. It would have ended the destruction of pristine environments in the quest for oil, like those in southern Africa, South America, and Alaska. It would have made dirty, dangerous, and inefficient nuclear power even more obsolete and ridiculous than it already is. More energy is required to produce nuclear fuel rods than they produce when a nuclear power plant is in operation. This new technology produces infinitely more power than it uses because it's fuel is water.

Imagine a world where wars fought over oil are no longer necessary. The mass killing of millions of men, women, and children by America in it's quest for oil would no longer be necessary. It would not be necessary to buy expensive gasoline, purchased with your labor and the blood of innocents. An ordinary car converted to run on water would be virtually free to operate except for the cost of mechanically maintaining the car.

This one invention by a gifted soul would have saved our ecosystem and turned our genocidal civilization into a utopia. But tragically and unjustly it is not to be. In order for humanity to climb out of their self imposed pit of pollution and war, the wealthiest among us must overcome their greed and lust for power.

The people who are raping and murdering our planet will not suddenly awaken and realize that water is a far superior fuel source. It is easier and more profitable for them to attack country after country, killing and enslaving the people, and stealing their oil. After all this has been the barbaric behavior of human kind since we first emerged from the caves.

The corporate elite who now hold a noose around the collective neck of humanity tell us to accept our fate and not struggle, the noose will only grow tighter. More people die, our planet's atmosphere heats up and the destroyers of life become richer and more powerful. It can only end with a damaged ecosystem and millions of dead human beings. It will end with melted ice caps, coastlines under water, and weather so cold and erratic that food is extremely difficult to grow, and in America as with the rest of the world, people will starve to death.

Cont...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dcm1952

Part 2...

This is what awaits you and your children. You have given over your destiny and your planet to corrupt corporations and the people who own them. The ruling elite have decided that the earth's population has become too large and now threatens the quality of life for them and their offspring. Disruption of the eco system will aid them in culling the herd. Of paramount importance is their power and wealth, and the survival of their self serving dynasties. Half of humanity will die so that a privileged few can continue their homicidal reign on earth. For them it is better to rule in a hell of their own making than to live as ordinary men on a peaceful and beautiful planet.

Stan Meyer was our technological savior. He said that America had become too dependent on oil and he wanted to change that. Although he had no formal education having quit high school, Stan Meyer was an inventive genius and his ideas were revolutionary. Using his amazing intellect for good rather than personal gain, he intended to help humanity. He wanted to free us from our enslavement to the Oil companies. He wanted to stop global warming. He was bound for the greatest glory that any person has ever known. He would have been the man who shattered humanity's oil dependency forever, ushering in a new dawn of prosperity, freedom, and hope for all except the greedy maniacal few who profit from selling oil and war.

His water powered car was better than an electric car because without numerous solar panels and plenty of sunlight they too must be charged by electricity produced ultimately from fossil fuels. Stan's car was far ahead of General Motors hydrogen car, which simply burned hydrogen stored in a fuel tank which had also been produced with power generated by fossil fuels.

Stan found a way of using only half an amp of electricity to fracture water molecules separating the oxygen and hydrogen on demand. As the hydrogen was produced it was burned creating combustion more powerful than gasoline, and water was the only significant exhaust emission. Stan Meyer's water engine technology could easily have been developed to power planes, ships, trains, and spacecraft, completely eliminating our need for oil.

Stan Meyer said he trusted in angels to protect him, but in March 1998, Stan was poisoned and died in the parking lot of a restaurant in his home town of Grove City, Ohio. According to his brother Steve, the U.S. Government came to Stan's home a week after his murder and confiscated his car, which got 100 miles per gallon of water, and they stole all of his research equipment which he had used to develop the new technology.

Stan had been threatened many times and would not sell out to Arab Oil Corp. Stan said he was offered a billion dollars from an Arab to basically shelve his idea but he said, "No, this technology is for the people."

-----------------------

â–º These two videos prove that the present wars being fought over oil never needed to happen. The million killed Iraqi men, women, and children never needed to happen. It's all been a gigantic mass murdering fraud for the profits of oil and war. www.waterfuelcell.org... /
video.google.com...

Read more about this world class tragedy and watch more excellent videos about this subject at this site: waterpoweredcar.com...

© Copyright April 4, 2007 by Schuyler Ebbets. This article is posted on www.thepeoplesvoice.org... Permission is granted for reprint in print, email, blog, or web media if this credit is attached and the title remains unchanged.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LEAP STICK

"Would the average American be prepared to give up their
gas guzzling Monster Trucks aka: SUV's "

Now that's just arrogant! Give up for WHAT? A bicycle? No, not if you live 20 miles from work and in a climate that averages over 50 inches of rain a year. Give up for an electric or hybrid? Sure, if we could sell our SUV for what is owing against it and could afford the premium price for the "ecologically correct" vehicle. I have an SUV. It is a 2002 Saturn Vue (bought used). I drive an average of 7 miles per week - so the gas price isn't affecting me. My wife, has a 1999 Buick (bought used). It is a V6. She was communting 100 miles a day - 52 miles to work and 52 miles home. She now has an apartment closer to work and comes home on weekends.

Here's the great part. Toyota is advertising their crossover vehicle that gets - TA DA - 35 miles per gallon. My wife's buick V-6 gets 34 miles to the gallon!!!! My SUV gets 26 miles to the gallon.

The cost of a new hybrid or crossover is and has been such that only those who can afford luxury cars can buy one. Now the "gas guzzlers" can't be sold or traded in for an amount the average person can get to make purchasing a hybrid economically feasible.

The "economy" gas savers out there aren't that much better than the big gas guzzlers you frown upon. It's not so much what you drive, as it is how you drive it!

So, just because you ride a bicycle or walk or own a hybrid doesn't make you better than me - just more fortunate in your circumstances.

If the government would take half of the 17.2 trillion dollar CIA black budget and subsidize the manufacture of hybrids to make them affordable to us low class peasants then we would make a huge dent in our dependency on the Middle East oil Sultans.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Hopup Dave]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join