It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain justifies enabling the draft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
reply to post by SavageHenry

I agree. You draft, it's everyone.

Check out a read called, "What did you do in the class war?" It came out in the 1970s (I believe). The author said that the guys from Harvard rolled up to the draft board with medical records getting them out of military service, and the middle class kids just went and did their duty.

Amen...

And nothing is more disgusting then the Chickenhawks of today who did exactly that... because they had a pimple on their ass.. or they "had better things to do"

Or they got special treatment and served in a champagne unit instead of going into the thick.

It is nonsense.

We need a draft for all ..because it would solidify the bonds of unity of our countrymen...(something those who pull the strings really do not want to see)

We do not need a "Starship Troopers" future... and we have had enough apathy to choke a Titan...

Draft time... ages 25-45 first.

I do not think anyone who is 18-24 should be allowed... (even though the military wants them there... 18-24 you are too dumb and too inexperianced with life to really hold any value on it....

For the record I had my 18th birthday in bootcamp.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Forcing service on unwilling americans is, in its self, un-american.

Maybe I could agree with this, if you added the notation 'in time of peace' to the end of it. In times of national emergency, it is not un-American, nor is it unusual. We have had a draft during times of war throughout our history.

You seem to be having this problem with reality. Do you seriously believe we live in a world where war will never be necessary? Do you think that the previous wars were some sort of fairy tale we tell children so they can tell theirs? Do you even know what war is?

War is the last resort of any sane entity. It is when open fighting breaks out, and people are slaughtered for no reason than they are in the war zone without the proper uniform on. It is when the guy in front of you exists only to kill you as quickly as possible so he can kill your friends beside you. He isn't interested in talking out problems or negotiating. And sadly, we still have people like this in the world. We threw out one such gang when we liberated Iraq (unfortunately it seems Bush is very good at snatching defeat from the jaws of that victory, but that's another topic). There are others.

What would you do if we were invaded? Wave a white flag and hope they only torture you? Try to talk to them before they blew your head into another zip code? Or would you fight, and want others fighting with you?

The draft is a terrible option, but it is also one that must remain available in case of need. Those drafted are in extreme danger, yes, for patriotism alone, yes, but if they were not drafted, they could be easy targets on our own soil, along with everyone else. May it never be necessary to use a draft again, but better to have it and exist, than to not have it, and all perish.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i stick to my guns

the draft should never be "okay" when attacking another country.

Iran, Iraq, N. Korea.

they havent attacked us.

So why should the Draft be okay?

We're not being invaded.

We're not in any detrimental danger.

I see no reason to even talk about this, but evidently - mccain does.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I don't think you would have to worry about a draft if it came down to WWW III.

The majority of the world will be dead by all the NUKES exploding like fireworks
on the 4th of July.

Much ado about nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join