It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am ashamed to drive a car.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Please watch at least the following video showing what Big Oil is doing to third world countries, cutting corner at a HUGE cost to the locals and the environment. But we Americans don't care what we do to other people, just as long as we have fuel in our cars. Lets each start biking or walking to work at least a few days a week and change a few light bulbs to florescent energy savers!

Watch the whole series.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My point exactly, Americans are totally apathetic.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Actually you should speak for yourself..

Not all Americans are bad.. Hell I have literally quit driving because of what gas is like... Regardless I still pay for it.. Whether it is food, clothes, whatever.. We get screwed anyway..

BTW 93 Cutlass For Sale..

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I don't need to watch. We've been conserving for years. We started buying fluorescents literally 10 years ago when they were too odd shaped to fit under the fixtures. My husband works at home and drives a motorcycle. My 2005 Toyota has less than 6000 miles on it.

I hear your message that Americans don't care and I think for a large part, you are right. But some do...

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by brickhouse32

As soon as your mentor, ALGORE, cuts back on his energy consumption, I might think about it.

As far as floresent bulbs goes are they really worth it?

www.epa.gov...

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal below. Please also read the information on this page about what never to do with a mercury spill.

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces
I cut if off there because there is ALOT more......kinda scary!

Since you are so worried about 3rd world countries can I assume that you would be for more drilling right here in the USA? Libs always complain about the 68 million acres leased already, but they never mention the over 1 BILLION acres that are off limits. That needs to change. What other nation on earth restricts its resources from its citizens?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If you would have watched the video, starting about 4 minutes into that first one, Big oil cut corners to save their own costs at a terrible expense to the environment and the locals. I am for alternative energy and a smart redesign of our culture, ending surburbia in favor of more mass transportation.

I saw somewhere that if everyone in america would change out just 1 lightbulb to a florescent energy saver the fuel savings would be enormous, something like 100000 barrels a year.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by brickhouse32

I saw somewhere that if everyone in america would change out just 1 lightbulb to a florescent energy saver the fuel savings would be enormous, something like 100000 barrels a year.

What happens when these bulbs expire, or break? Like most people, I would simply throw them away. Can you imagine how toxic our landfils are going to be in just 5-10 years if everyone made a major switch to florescents? How many people are going to follow the EPA's recommendations for disposal?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Understand what you're saying........ I think we as humans ruin most everything we touch.

To take your post literally, however, you should also be ashamed of: utilizing any power you don't produce yourself, using any plastic products and nearly all manufactured goods, eating any foods that are delivered, rather than produced yourself. We can blame "big oil" for all the Earth's woes, but the truth is that most of us are dependent upon the things it produces.

Rather than being ashamed, perhaps you can strive to save/create/invent ways of gradually taking yourself off the grid. Certainly driving only when it's vital to will help in some small way. Meanwhile research into more effective reknewable energy sources continues, but it's the cost of these things that makes them somewhat prohibitive. I think most people would trade their monthly power bill for paying a loan which they took out to set themselves up with solar/wind power. At least for us, it's not even a close trade-off. I simply don't have the money and I think that's the case for many people.

I made a solar collector with mostly salvaged materials, and bought a temper[ing] valve. That started saving us money in just two months, and continues to do so, as we don't have to heat our water with electricity anymore. Last month, replace our AC water pump with a DC model/battery/PV charger. That'll start saving us money in a couple of months. Insulated our attic last year, and painted the roof with a white elastomeric paint. That paid for itself and continues to save. As we can get the duckets together, the next move is to acquire PV panels to power a DC-powered freezer. We have no clothes dryer -- use the sun. We cook with propane.

I agree whole-heartedly with the sort of background idea of your post..... the horrors oil companies perpetrate on others.... I just think we have to, as individuals take responsibility for our participation, and then try like hell to get quit of them.

Cheers

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 13-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Every time I goto to the store, I buy a few boxes of regular light bulbs. BY them time they are illegal I will be set for life.

I do have the flour. ones in my house and I hate them. they give me a headache and I can not see correctly with them on.

Ama

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I love my car. I also live 30 miles from my job. You try biking or walking that. You wanna pay for me to move?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by brickhouse32
I am ashamed to drive a car.

So stop driving.

Lets each start biking or walking to work at least a few days a week

No one is stopping you.

I love my car.

Hmmm...I guess you can just love it as it rusts in your driveway then since you're ashamed to drive it but not to own it.

I also live 30 miles from my job. You try biking or walking that. You wanna pay for me to move?

Oh, I see. This is a thread where you extoll walking and biking for all the rest of us, whereas you are entitled to drive because you can't afford to do otherwise.

Address your own issues before you make suggestions as to what others need to do. Until then, keep your suggestions to yourself.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Don't feel guilty. There's lots of evidence pointing to supressed alternate energy. This is just more sustainable development get the useless eaters in the corral propaganda. lots of rural people will soon be moving in to the cities too. when the day comes don't report to your community hall.

join