It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mortgage Crisis Is Leaving Children Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Mortgage Crisis Is Leaving Children Homeless

www.alternet.org

Frequent moves have been shown to take a toll on children's learning, behavior, and health. Elementary school students who change schools twice or more in a year show poorer reading than their peers who do not change schools, according to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, called the Nation's Report Card. The Government Accountability Office finds similar negative impacts on math performance.

An increase in housing instability may have consequences for a nation struggling to improve its 70-percent average high school graduation rate, which dips to 50 percent in many of the largest U.S. cities. School and residential changes can cut a student's chances of graduating by more than half, according to data cited in the First Focus report.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I find this very sad. The human consequences of the current crisis.

The United States' current record-breaking rates of mortgage foreclosure will directly affect 2 million children this year and next, according to a recent report from First Focus, a bipartisan child advocacy organization.

"Our homeless education liaisons are noticing increases in the number of students who are homeless, not just in high-poverty families but also those who have typically been middle class and facing this for the first time," says Patricia Popp, state coordinator for homeless education in Virginia.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Bush is killing America. He's busy buying property in Paraguay while people here in America are losing there homes.

This story really gets to me. I didn't think I could hate Bush or Congress more than I do, but I can. They are fiddling while America burns.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Ya,,, If it were up to me...

I will take a stab at what comments you might encounter...

They shouldn't have taken out a mortgage they couldn't afford in the first place.

Its a free market and thats business for you.

Thats what we get from a liberal congress.

We may have to become come glaringly tyrannical to overcome things like this.

If the governments last concern is for the citizens what is the point of a government?

Let me guess to Lower taxes on Warren Buffet to promote business ---

[edit on 12-7-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
forgive bush...
yes he is a crazy, brainwashed, sociopathic, cia trained actor.
however you hating him is a waste of your time.
Blaming Bush and Blaming anyone in general, IMO, is a waste of time.
Why don't we look at where we can go from here and further the human collective conscious by spreading positive ideas and using our brains and our time in a constructive manner...

forgive the people who do evil and forgive those that remain silent. Send good energy their way and accept them as they are a part of you.

Time is cyclical. Everything was connected at the beginning and the cycle will repeat. We will all be connected again....the sooner this fact is realized by all, the sooner harmony will be reached.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision
forgive bush...

Like hell I'll forgive Bush. Go peddle your religion elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I hope all these homeless kids find a niche and make some money.
I hope they learn about FOREX and realize the dollar is shot.
I pray that they keep the faith and don't limit themselves, because despite the fact that they are homeless, they are homeless in AMERICA.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I pray that they keep the faith and don't limit themselves, because despite the fact that they are homeless, they are homeless in AMERICA.

America the Surveilled. America the Betrayed. America the Shook Down. America the ...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by splendourinthegrass

America the Surveilled. America the Betrayed. America the Shook Down. America the ...

America on the edge....Darwin said it aint the strongest that survive...its the one most adaptable that will survive. No matter what happens...if you can adapt, you can survive...

I talk about all the stuff on ATS to people at the grocery stores...people in line...people at work...anyone that has a brain and that I can talk to for a short amount of time gets a dose of ''wakethefcukup'' from me...but in a way that they can laugh about it too...
I figure that if the mass consciousness can become conscious of whats going on, Im doing my part.

Either way I think its better to be positive about things..just because our dollar has dropped doesnt mean people cant learn the forex...

adapt

life is great no matter what...you are alive!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by splendourinthegrass

America on the edge....Darwin said it aint the strongest that survive...its the one most adaptable that will survive. No matter what happens...if you can adapt, you can survive...

I talk about all the stuff on ATS to people at the grocery stores...people in line...people at work...anyone that has a brain and that I can talk to for a short amount of time gets a dose of ''wakethefcukup'' from me...but in a way that they can laugh about it too...
I figure that if the mass consciousness can become conscious of whats going on, Im doing my part.

Either way I think its better to be positive about things..just because our dollar has dropped doesnt mean people cant learn the forex...

adapt

life is great no matter what...you are alive!

You've got points on you post... I just can't stand all the sociopaths -- the people sleep well safe in their beds because there all brainwashed blood lovers to keep them safe...

B.S -- the B.B.L's will always regenerate so we will always be an inch from war and a foot from Armageddon!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
We all once lived in makeshift nomadic style dwellings.
I wonder what the term was for "homelessness" 10,000 years ago.
Perhaps thats how we will end up.When the corrupt monetary system made to benefit a few collapses.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. --Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Yea the thought of homeless children sucks, but what do you want to do about it?

More unconstitutional BS "social programs"?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
Yea the thought of homeless children sucks, but what do you want to do about it?

More unconstitutional BS "social programs"?

How about reducing the power of the Jews in your country?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Homo_Borg not sure what you mean with the Jew remark...not sure i want to know either...

Slacker...the social programs will probably begin on Monday with the bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Criminal business practices rewarded with a taxpayer bailout!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Its not the schools or moving too much that is hurting the kids.Its their parents.

a single poor uneducated mother,living in the projects, kept her son,
Benjamin Solomon Carson, indoors after school, instead of letting
him run around with the gangs outside, she made him turn the tv off and
give her book reports as extra school work, even though she could not
read herself.
her son grew up to be a genius neurosurgeon.
one of the best in the world.
www.drbencarson.com...

this story proves, you can have everything stacked against you, but
still succeed with hard work and taking control of your own life.

ive noticed many americans try to blame others for their troubles,
they say "oh the teachers are terrible, my kid is doing so bad, oh I lost
my house those selfish banks ", but the truth is they only have
themselves to blame.

and its definitely not the Jews to blame either

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by josephine
Its not the schools or moving too much that is hurting the kids.Its their parents.

a single poor uneducated mother,living in the projects, kept her son,
Benjamin Solomon Carson, indoors after school, instead of letting
him run around with the gangs outside, she made him turn the tv off and
give her book reports as extra school work, even though she could not
read herself.
her son grew up to be a genius neurosurgeon.
one of the best in the world.
www.drbencarson.com...

this story proves, you can have everything stacked against you, but
still succeed with hard work and taking control of your own life.

ive noticed many americans try to blame others for their troubles,
they say "oh the teachers are terrible, my kid is doing so bad, oh I lost
my house those selfish banks ", but the truth is they only have
themselves to blame.

and its definitely not the Jews to blame either

Who is blaming the Jews for this? I blame greedy scum who run the banking industry who pushed through bills allowing themselves to give outrageous loans to people everyone knew darn well could not pay down the loans. I blame the realestate industry for putting families into homes that were over priced becuase I think realestate agents set on good deals inorder to convince people that cheap houses are bad houses.

As far as schools go,I think everyone should homeschool until the schools stop becoming distribution centers for illegal drugs. Just say no to public schools. If the bozos in charge of this country wanted safe good schools, they could have fixed the schools up. They don't do this because some people prefer a caste system which bars other peoples children from developing their talents.

I feel sorry for the poor familes. The parents wanted nice houses for their children. Now they are worse off for falling for something they were brainwashed to want by T.V. . If any good comes of this, they will realize that material goods do not bring happiness ,and that home is not a house. Hopefully, they well learn to give love to their children from their hearts and not their wallets.

As far as the public schools in this country go, a statistical study tied the price of a students home to the position the student graduated in the class. Higher priced home = better grades. Yes, the public school system does screw poor children. Poor children encounter snooty teachers who give them less credit than they give the rich children. If the parents are unable to homeschool, they will need to teach their children to work without regard for reward. Ultimately, people who work hard ,even when they are not encouraged to, will become successful.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by eradown]

join