It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Double_Nought_Spy

The solution for tight pants is usually not that easy or attractive.

LOL.

Re your avatar . . .

An air of . . . the debonair . . . though the smoking doesn't qualify any longer for that image . . . emphysema is a HORRIBLE way to go.

The mostly black image leave the skin tones particularly warm.

The bits of white are nice highlights.

I'm curious . . .

1. What does the image mean to you?

2. What message do you most want it to convey?

3. What part of you does it most represent?

4. What lack in your life does it most hold out as a desire?

5. What response do you hope most viewers have to it?

Thanks for the honor of your kind contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Bo Xian if it's not been done already, once you finish your analysis of everyones avatars why not do the same but with everyones usernames. I'm sure that would be just as entertaining as this thread currently is

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

My top 3 motivations for seeking out the strange and unusual?

3. My significant other tends to say things like "The world is not as interesting as you want it to be" in response to my thoughts on conspiracy theory, ufos, ghosts, etc. I disagree and desire proof enough to change her skeptical views.

2. Went ghost hunting as a teenager for fun one summer and got more than I bargained for and have been hooked on the oddities of the world ever since.

1. "I myself am strange and unusual"

I picked that one because I wanted an animated gif and it was between one of two I had on hand and went with the weirder of the 2 and it reminds me of my favorite Hellraiser cenobite, the Chatterer. I guess I expect people to react the same way I did when I first saw it. Something like "That is seriously weird and friggin' creepy" or something similar.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Quick reply from end of thread scan . . .

Excellent question . . . is the psychology of an avatar stronger if created by the person themselves . . . hmmmm

I'd guess, yes.

Ownership seems to usually involve stronger emotions; stronger identification; stronger defense . . .

I'd speculate that the elements are even more likely to be closer to the core of the person's identity.

Hard to ferret out scientifically but those are my guesses.

As to your avatar . . .

Wow. It seems to be virtually entirely suggestive, subliminal, almost. Nothing crystal clear.

There's the SUGGESTION of a head on top.

The SUGGESTION of a hand on the bottom.

The possible suggestion of shoulders or a globe under the head. a red line and a light blue line from the 'shoulders' to the 'hand.'

This one is real tricky to make any sense of.

The colors are atypical.

The designe is atypical.

I think the strongest feeling elicited is puzzlement.

There's some sense of a bit of an underlying disquiet because it's so confusing, puzzling.

The head/face sort of feature on top doesn't look overly friendly. It looks more judgmental, perhaps harshly so.

Wow.

Certainly unique.

1. What attracted you to posting such an image?

2. What did you hope it would trigger in the viewers?

3. What did you say to yourself about it once it was finished and posted?

Thanks for the honor of a very interesting contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
Bo Xian if it's not been done already, once you finish your analysis of everyones avatars why not do the same but with everyones usernames. I'm sure that would be just as entertaining as this thread currently is

You humble me with your kind words.

Thanks.

I'll certainly consider it.

Please remind me if it falls through the cracks.

Thanks for your friendly and thoughtful suggestion.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rivos
reply to post by BO XIAN

My top 3 motivations for seeking out the strange and unusual?

3. My significant other tends to say things like "The world is not as interesting as you want it to be" in response to my thoughts on conspiracy theory, ufos, ghosts, etc. I disagree and desire proof enough to change her skeptical views.

Quick end-of-thread scan responses . . .

I go with your assessment on that one. A big part of me wishes it were otherwise--yet I know I was born for such a time as this. And that's mostly OK.

My wife of 9 years before she decided to marry her co-worker . . . reflecting on what I told her during courtship--that there wouldn't be many dull moments with me . . . said she was ready for some dull momens.

I know that feeling myself at 61.

I don't think your wife will have the proof she might require until it's too late to do much . . . perhaps even run very far. Sadly.

This era will be stranger and more destructive than any before or sense, imho.

2. Went ghost hunting as a teenager for fun one summer and got more than I bargained for and have been hooked on the oddities of the world ever since.

Hmmmmmm. That can be hazardous. Arrogance in such persuits can be particularly hazardous. Please be humble and careful--and know when to pull the plub and what to avoid altogether.

1. "I myself am strange and unusual"
I guess I expect people to react the same way I did when I first saw it. Something like "That is seriously weird and friggin' creepy" or something similar.

I suspect you have succeeded on that score.

It still makes me think of the SUPERMOUTHS in my life. LOL.

Thanks again for a wonderful contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

You raise an interesting point with this post..... "should not be judged", but perhaps what we really mean is "should not be misjudged", that is, not thought of in ways that are inconsistant with our presentation? However, we create things, icons to represent ourselves, and I think, in some small ways, become that which we create. I feel it is true on other forums I frequent. Still waiting to "feel" my skin here.

MadHatter, I think your current av Rocks.

There was an avatar that put me off when I first became a member, and I commented on it, but tried to couch it within the context of my own perceptions -- that is, that it was my own problem, and I attempted to make fun of myself. I don't know if that message came across.

I choose a blue iguana for my avatar, as it's a photo I took, and shortly after I communed with this particular creature, it was slaughtered, along with several other mature protected adult blue iguanas, by some semi-humans. No apparent reason. No apparent clues as to their identity, and it still moves me to the point where I carry this gentle creature with me.

I had to laugh.... there was a person who borrowed my avatar briefly, thinking it looked properly "reptilian". ha! Yep.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rivos

Y'know the first time I saw your AV, I thought to myself "whoof!, boy has issues", and then...... I kinda......... wished I'd seen it first. haha!

Now, I just imagine it singing Nessun Dorma and everything is Irie.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Actually, it is based on the Cydonia area of Mars and, in particular, a portion of this photo.

In the pic above are a number of 'things' which are suggestive of something we know on Earth. I'm sure you'll recognize many of them. If you look to the [top] right hand corner, you may see the jumble of rock outcroppings which prompted the avatar.

Here is another part of the same pic (as seen through my 'minds eye') which you will likely recognise immediately;

I use it as a 'tag' on profiles.

The act of 'seeing things' which aren't really there is called 'pareidolia'

Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. For example, in the discolorations of a burnt tortilla one sees the face of Jesus Christ. Or one sees the image of Mother Teresa or Ronald Reagan in a cinnamon bun or a man in the moon

skepdic.com...

I've been fascinated by this very human tendency and done many paintings based on it. I agree with the notion that people reveal much about their psychology this way. For an artist, it's even more so in that they carry it much further than just pointing to a cloud and saying it looks like a horse and rider (for instance).

Originally posted by BO XIAN
1. What attracted you to posting such an image?

Because it was my 'creation'.

2. What did you hope it would trigger in the viewers?

I 'saw' an alien offering a 'gift', but one which was as strange as the alien itself. To have something unknown offered begs questions. What is it? Will it be beneficial or is it something dangerous?

3. What did you say to yourself about it once it was finished and posted?

Good question. One for the Jungians to reflect on, I suppose. Off-hand, I'd say that it is a peek into my own state of mind, but still requires much reflection on my part. Sometimes the answer does not lie with the personal unconscious, but rather, the global unconscious. For example, was the original pile of rocks on Mars suggestive of something in my own experience or was it a part of the human journey in total- an Archetype?

from The Spirit in Man, Art and Literature by CG Jung (Princeton University Press) pg 82

This is the secret of great art and its effect upon us. The creative process, so far as we are able to follow it at all, consists in the unconscious activation of an archtypal image, and in elaborating and shaping this image into the finished work.

I must add, BX, that this is a VERY interesting topic and I must thank you for providing such a rich venue (avatars) for the membership to consider.

The idea that many avatars are dark could very well be a general psychological profile of those who are drawn to websites like ATS; concerned with conspiracies.

edit for clarity

[edit on 14/7/08 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well I been told mine is creepy, but it is just an artist rendition of Spider woman.

www.rainewalker.com...

what one sees as dark or creepy another may find beautiful.

www.manataka.org...

www.crystalinks.com...

[edit on 073131p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
somehow luckily my avatar has escaped judgement. i think thats good. no offense but as this thread goes on, it seems less and less relevant. it seems like avatars are representations only as much as each person really feels it is. some want to really put their soul into it, some just want a cool pic on the side of their posts. it seems alot like making the same types of judgements based on the car someone drives. it is easy to look at the car and make long distance 'psychological' assessments based on what would make sense between a person and why they might choose to drive what they drive. the reality however, is most people drive the car they could afford to buy.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
I'll agree with the general consensus that ATS membership is by and large paranoid and conspiratorial in nature. My current avatar is on the dark side, but it's far from foreboding.

That's an interesting assertion so boldly stated.

Perhaps I'd put it that it seems highly plausible to me . . .

that

a significant percentage--possibly even 51% or more of the ATS membership is above the median on paranoia in at least one area of their construction on reality as we experience it in our era.

On the other hand . . . paranoia is more or less defined as UNGROUNDED FEARS, UNREALISTIC FEARS, FEARS WAY OUT OF CONNECTION WITH THE "REALITY" MOST FOLKS PERCEIVE and construct in their daily lives.

Given all the givens of our era, I think a very enormously valid case could be made that there is an OVERABUNDANCE OF REAL REASONS TO BE FEARFUL . . . particularly for anyone not feeling particularly close to God or any other convincing security . . .

. . . and from my perspective, only God is ultimately going to provide any security from the globalists and even then for many He may require martyrdom--which in reality is an instant ticket into HIS PRESENCE--a maximum joy.

Or, to put it in Eric Fromm's terms in his classic THE SANE SOCIETY . . . in an insane society . . . only the insane are rational, sane.

Just today I came across on ATS some link to the purported camps where whole boxcars of shackled people can be driven into large air-tight chambers and all the people executed inside the boxcars without ever having to bother unloading etc. And supposedly the ovens are right handy.

Is that real? I suspect so. I mean, the globalists, given their goals, would be irresponsible laggards IF it were NOT real. And, given the stage of their preparations, I consider it likely to be real--just logically. Then add in all the evidence of the various testimoninals.

Let's just pretend it's real. Would it be paranoid to fear such a real thing? hardly.

Sooooooooooooo, to me, it's hardly a settled question at all as to whether the majority of ATs folks REALLY ARE clinically paranoid, at all.

I do suspect that a significant number of ATSers are IN THE DIRECTION of paranoid OUT OF psychodynamic childhood traumas and . . . drum roll . . . RAD. It would be interesting to know what that percentage might be.

However, I'd also label a significant percentage of the general population that way for the same reasons. Is it likely that there's a HIGHER perctnage of ATSers in that direction than in the general population? It's certainly plausible. It's logical.

It's still assuming a fair amount without solid data.

And, if I was boogying out in the woods as a survivalist . . . I might want my partners to be more than average wary.

=============================

In terms of your current avatar, I think it's one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I love it.

Of course, I'm a sucker for blue. And those shades of blue are sooooo beautiful and beautifully handled.

I actually don't consider it that dark. Only the very upper left and the very bottom right are really dark.

The light aqua 'northern light' effect is not dark--quite a highlight. But even the royal blue 'night sky' effect is not really dark. It's just darker.

Is this a photo or a piece of art?

This current avatar evokes feelings of

awe, serenity, majesty, deeply touched humility by God's Creative majesty, calmness, wonder, hope, etc.

I can understand how some might see it as dark. I don't.

Interesting that you characterize it that way! LOL.

My previous avatar, on the other hand was quite the opposite:

This is very interesting.

Actually, though it's quite light and bright and sort of evocative of happiness and ethereal serenity . . .

There is one perspective of it that is kind of spooky.

Imagine this body under a sheet of ice on the surface of a lake with butterflies frozen also in the ice above the body. LOL.

The eyes seem closed in death vs sleep, to me, for some reason. Odd.

Thankfully there seems to be a lot of serenity and peacefulness in her face. Alive or dead, that's comforting! LOL.

Nice touch with the lip color matching some of the butterfly colors.

And the fade from royal blue to very light aqua over a slight white/skin tone . . . very well done. Masterfully done.

I actually like this avatar very much, as well.

I just didn't think it was only possible to view it as 100% life, light and joy.

I think overall . . . One might construe the image and message to be one of sleeping flights of gentleness, serenity, peacefulness and quiet joy.

That's quite a lot of very positive goodies from one image.

Thanks tons for the honor of getting to consider these fine avatars.

I base my avatars on things that resonate with me. I'm more of a blue girl myself, . . .

As you compare the two avatars . . .

1. What two things most resonate with your core being from each?

2. As your mind springboards from viewing each . . . where does the night sky tend to lead more to vs where does the lady and butterflies tend to lead more to?

3. If you had to choose one or the other to be etched in full color on your tombstone, which would you choose and why?

Thanks tremendously for your excellent post and great contribution to our thread.

May you and all those you love have a splendid rest of July.

[edit on 14/7/2008 by BO XIAN]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

ALL AND SUNDRY INCLUDING THE POWERS THAT BE . . .

Would it be possible to knight

Dear Ashley D

as

MASTER AVATARIST EXTRAORDINAIRE

or some such?

Her servant-hearted ministrations for so many of us are GREATLY APPRECIATED and so wonderously done.

There ought to be SOME way to at least acclaim her efforts and skills, if not reward her with more than our deepest gratitude and poor words.

UMPTEEN CHEERS FOR ASHLEYD!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BroonStone
So what does my Avatar say about me? Hmmmm..............

A weird, scary, three eyed man in an alien enviornment, kinda the way I feel when I go to Wal-Mart!

LOL.

Wal-Mart can certainly be a whole 'nother reality.

After the way I have been treated by the general public, I kinda wish I did look like my avatar in real life.

At least people would have a reason to stare then!

LOL.

Welllllllllllllll, let me consider your avatar . . . and your statements . . .

Much appreciate your kind contribution to our thread.

Actually, the man's eyes seem to be quite congruent with your statements.

There's a plaintiveness to both. LOL. . . . and a waif-likeness to the pic.

Not sure what to make of the horns. Certainly there could be an association with 'devil's horns.'

However, the plaintiveness, beleaguredness kind of flies in the face of that sort of feeling, interpretation.

The terrain behind the man also seems to be a bit of a paradox . . . there's a hint of lush greenness . . . possibly even a crop . . . yet it's rather plain . . . not clearly really lush . . . not really bleak but not rich in variety, at least.

And the man's bit of clothing . . . almost blends into the green landscape. One could almost imagine him sinking into the soil to be quickly covered over with vegetation . . . maybe with just the horns sticking up above the stubble of the mowed crop. . . . wow . . . what a fantasy on my part! LOL.

Yet for all the plaintiveness etc. there is that 3rd eye and those two horns right out in full force, in your face, like it or not.

'TIS ME, FOLKS! HERE I AM! PLEASE DON'T RUN AWAY.

I remember long years feeling like that as a bird of rare plumage.

RAD fostered co-dependency dynamics . . . obsessively grasping after folks for relationships and family feelings never experienced in my family . . . therefore, like happiness and the butterfly, the more I chased and grasped, the faster such eluded me. Only when I became whole enough to stand in my own place doing my own priorities and sharing as folks showed interest . . . did things change more positively.

However, I remember keenly the long years feeling like the more I reached out, the faster and further folks ran. I sometimes wondered if I needed to go around with a bag over my head in spite of how handsome folks said I was.

People persistently said they felt like my eyes could see through them, left them feeling emotionally, psychologically naked around me.

And, that I wore my emotions all over my face at loud volume. And sensitive folks had a hard time with that.

It seems like your 3 eyed avatar could well have a similar influence on folks were such wandering around real.

Some curiosities:

1. What 2-3 things do you suppose tend to tigger folks staring or your feeling like folks stare?

2. What do you most like about folks staring?

3. What do you most dislike?

4. If you looked like your avatar in real life . . . and you had to do away with the horns or your 3rd eye, which would go and why?

5. If you could pass only one on to your kids . . . and had to pass either the 3rd eye or the horns on to your kids--which would it be and why?

6. What 3 non-sexual ativities do you feel most POTENT doing?

Thanks tons for the honor of considering your avatar and for your fine contribution to our thread.

[edit on 14/7/2008 by BO XIAN]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
well if any one has a problem with mine

be free to complain and ill explain

because iv gotten bashed for it before

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
i absolutely love my avatar. . . it has got to be one of the best ones surely

I love your avatar, too.

One of my housemates is a sucker for dogs and for cute. Had to show her.

She laughed vigorously, too.

Ok, some curiousities . . .

1. Is it your pic of your dog or where is it from?

2. I assume your main goal was humor???

3. What part do dogs play in your life?

4. Do you have kids? If so, do they tend to think of you as a fun riot to live with?

5. Are you male or female, if you're wiling to say. And are you uncommonly healthily affectionate with your kids, if you have any?

6. What's the most fun (nonsexual) thing you've ever experienced?

7. If that's not your dog, what kind of dog do you have, if you have one?

8. What's the most sacrificilly servant-hearted thing you've ever done?

9. What's the most sacrificially servant-hearted thing you've ever received, experienced done for/to/with you?

10. If you could give all the folks hereon with the darker avatars 3 things, what would those 3 things be?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

There's NO possibility for genuine Islam to coexist with anything else over the long haul.

Satanists, likewise are never going to be buddy buddy with Pentecostals nor vice versa.

Even rabid Hindus burn Christians to death in our era.

Why don't you add church-burning Buddhists in Sri Lanka?

Or Hindu radicals who break up Christian revival meetings in India?

You see, what you are actually saying is that Christianity cannot coexist with these religions. Christianity can't coexist with any religion, because it keeps trying to steal adherents from the others. Christians evangelize. They proselytize. They hound and badger and bully and bribe in their mad determination to infect everyone around them with their particular and specific brand of delusion.

I don't condone attacks on Christians, but I cannot help but sympathize with the feelings of some of the attackers. Christianity, in its evangelical guise, is a very objectionable faith.

Muslims have coexisted very well with Hindus, Christians, Jews and many others at different periods of history. Evangelical Christianity, unless forced to do so by the powers that be, has never coexisted peacefully with anybody.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Good Thread!

Mine is a faceless guy which is kinda related to my name.
John-Q as in john q public.
Which is another way to say I would like to remain somewhat anonymous.

It's also from a game I used to play a lot. "hitman"

Oh, and I own a lot of firearms and I'm an avid shooter.....

You'll get my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands

Nothing to dark there...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
Mine is a nice avatar. I make funky art pieces and I love anything that has to do with the brain.

That looks like a brainy piece of artwork, alright!

What's the medium?

The colors strike me as warm.

I suppose they might strike someone as high energy or even angry. But I choose warm.

It appears more as a mask, to me.

And, except for the multicolors . . . fairly devoid of features beyond eyes, nose and mouth.

The contrast with the base is interesting, texture and color-wise.

Feelings evoked? . . .

Curiosity; interest; a bit of concern, for some reason; a bit of humor;

It seems to be a bit more female tinged than male tinged. Maybe it's the jaw.

What did you hope it evoked in viewers?

What has fostered so much interest in the brain?

What are some typical comments about your brain artwork?

Thanks much for your kind & meaningful contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by john-Q

Mine is a faceless guy which is kinda related to my name.
John-Q as in john q public.

QUICK END-OF-THREAD SCAN & comments

VERY WELL DONE. Very POWERFUL. Doesn't necessarily look mean nor even unnecessarily gratuitiously violent--oddly. JUST POWERFUL. No nonsense.

I suppose the red flame effect in the background could give an impression of violence prone . . . but mostly, I interpret it as "Attack me; do the wrong, violent thing in my sphere, against my family or responsibility--and you're toast." Which fits my values fine.

Which is another way to say I would like to remain somewhat anonymous.

Wellllll it appears that one can't have too much of THAT in our era!

It's also from a game I used to play a lot. "hitman"

Don't know anything about it but it sounds like a rather bloody game! Life has enough blood, to me, without choosing games with it!

Oh, and I own a lot of firearms and I'm an avid shooter.....

You'll get my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands

Good for you. Though the puppet masters seem quite prepared to do that.

Nothing to dark there...

Not in my scheme of things. Except for the globalists determination to take it to ultimate darkness as soon as they can manage it. And that's more darkness than I even prefer to contemplate.

Some questions:

1. Were your parents as gun oriented?

2. When did this focus awaken in you? In response to what?

3. What do you do with the verse about "Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword." ??

4. Do you have children? What ages? Are you training them well, I hope?

Feelings evoked:

impressed; admiration for the polished well designed image; Hopefulness that you are really--at least on such scores--prepared for what's coming down the pike; A bit of curiosity about the origins of the focus--maybe some slight concern. Confidence that you'd be great on a team protecting a group of people. Hope that you are as passionate about loving as you are protecting those you love.

Thanks much for your quite significant contribution to our thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join