It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is the psychologist in me speaking . . . Not sure if this is the right forum.

I'm interested in members' thoughts about why such a huge percentage of the avatars are

1. dark
2. foreboding
3. more than some plainly evil looking
4. dark, destructive warrior (vs a champion for a good cause type)
5. some decidedly tasteless sorts with tongues doing rather questionable things in pretty cheeky contexts
6. a general feeling of negative toned values
7. super strange and bizarre in ways that foster more discomfort than wonder

I'm not trying to pick on anyone so I'm not interested in citing specific examples. I'm talking about a huge percentage of the over all avatars on the whole site.

I'm most interested in what psychological/sociological/anthropological factors go into such a huge percentage of folks hereon choosing avatars of such descriptions. I'm interested in members' opinions on such.

Are there cultural forces pushing such?

Are there spiritual forces pushing such?

Is parenting such a lost art and at such a horrifically poor state that folks are growing up without much positive inputs, themes, memes, foci, foundation?

Are folks trying to outdo one another in bizarreness hereon?

Is bizarre the new hip, cool?

Is threatening violent dark foreboding destructive warrior type stuff the new--my spear, stick, _____ is longer than yours, ego boosting stuff?

I'd guesstimate that 65-75 or even 85% of the avatars fall with the above descriptions though I haven't done any statistical analysis.

MODS, please, if this would be in a better forum, please change it. This was the only place that seemed to fit though I'm really after a psychological discussion and not a board business bunch of questions.

******Moved to Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics Forum******

[edit on 11-7-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't feel mine is negative, only to the NWO would it be.

I feel we are in a war, free thinkers against those who would shut us up.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm wondering what psychological/sociological/anthropological factors a preson can make from my avatar?

Edit: Oh yhea, I don't think many people get the reference to the Fast Show - guess you have to be from the UK

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rumrunner

Are you saying your avatar is a statement against tyranny? Against those who would stifle free speech?

If so, perhaps you could explain the connection between the avatar and those values. I'm not getting it.

If we took say a group of 8-12 3rd graders; then a group of 8-12 7th graders and then a group of 8-12 12th graders . . . and sort of rushed them down an alley just before dark . . . an alley with a sharp corner in it . . . and they turn the corner; one group at a time . . . running almost into such a figure as is in your avatar . . .

all groups being half and half boys and girls . . .

what percentage of each group would relate to such a figure warmly, positively?

Is that response, the goal? Shock? Fear? Dismay? Disgust? What???

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My avatar is in tribute to the brave warriors who have sacrificed their lives so that we may live without fear of evil.

The Thundercats PWND Mumm-Ra

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by Rumrunner

Are you saying your avatar is a statement against tyranny? Against those who would stifle free speech?

If so, perhaps you could explain the connection between the avatar and those values. I'm not getting it.

If we took say a group of 8-12 3rd graders; then a group of 8-12 7th graders and then a group of 8-12 12th graders . . . and sort of rushed them down an alley just before dark . . . an alley with a sharp corner in it . . . and they turn the corner; one group at a time . . . running almost into such a figure as is in your avatar . . .

all groups being half and half boys and girls . . .

what percentage of each group would relate to such a figure warmly, positively?

Is that response, the goal? Shock? Fear? Dismay? Disgust? What???

I'm saying my avatar is a statement for freedom, no one owns me and never will....plus it's damn sexy to boot!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

i read an article some where about how looking at an online avatar for just 90 seconds would change the way your brain works and the way you think.

anywho i would be scared of running into an old man wearing his fire hat and whitey tightys while playing ping pong. but i got it cause i thought it was funny.

the cav sabers though are just me showing my pride in my military service..

off to look for article...

found it and its a great read..

www.time.com...

enjoy

[edit on 15pmu112007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My avatars are usually pretty dark, this one is'nt really!

I do plan on having more that are in the future though!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Probably due to the fact that many here just plain don't believe in God.
Kinda sad in a way.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
My humble opinion on the matter is this:

We have here a site dedicated to Conspiracies, UFO's and other things of Mystery. As a rule conspiracies are not bright shiny examples of goodness; but the darker side of a subject. As such, the interested party would adapt a "persona" in the form of an avatar that reflects their thought patterns while here on ATS... Dark and combative.

If one goes to a cooking forum, one finds very bright and cheery avatars with a decided "food" theme throughout, here we have dark, mysterious avatars with a general conspiracy theme.

When one discusses such subjects as the Chupacabra, Marauding Aliens and Government cover-ups, one may expect to encounter the "darker" side of our perceived persona's...

Semper

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Hmmmmmm . . .

Heading to bed shortly . . .

In terms of the ?tin-foil? headed figure in your avatar . . . I'd need to know more about it to say anything very intelligent.

My SUBJECTIVE first impression is kind of a hiding in plain sight distancing thing.

What would YOU say are the psychological/sociological/anthro implications and components of your avatar?

The rest, perhaps I can get to you tomorrow afternoon my time.

Thanks for your contributions. Some interesting points.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ok well since this is on the topic of avatars, may I ask how the heck I get one?
I promise it wont be to dark and foreboding.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Mine is the florida state capital buildingin Tallahassee. The real one, no photoshopping.

Read into it what you will. I wonder what Freud would say about the guy who designed it.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
This is the psychologist in me speaking . . . Not sure if this is the right forum.

I'm interested in members' thoughts about why such a huge percentage of the avatars are

1. dark
2. foreboding

Not sure what the question is really centering upon, as it is indeed a subjective one...but I think that my avatar falls in the above mentioned qualifications.

And it isn't necessarily to evoke negative feelings. To me, it is a valid representation of what I think and feel towards the status of reality...at least mine.

I added the words to hopefully clarify and motivate thought on that which I think is relevant...Memory is an Associative Storm....we are reactive humans by nature. By comprehending our reactions on a mental level, perhaps we can better understand the actions of others.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Mines fine thanks
whats wrong with a dark foreboding figure reading a newspaper on a park bench?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Interesting thread, Bo. If it were up to me, though, all of you would have pink avatars with butterflies, hearts, and little white bunnies.

Seriously, though, Semper beat me to it. What he said is pretty much the way it is. The theme of ATS is a bit 'darker' than most message boards so it attracts a 'darker' audience which then results in 'darker' avatars. And just in case anyone takes offense at my words, I do not necessarily mean 'darker' as an insult. I once had a 'darker' avatar, too, when Phantom of the Opera was my profile theme.

Anyways, I've seen a few avatars that I feel are downright disturbing and are hard for me to even look at (like the one with ant's crawling into a child's nose- Oh my!) but it is just the way it goes. It's neat, though- you can tell a lot about another member by what they choose as their avatar.

I've been making avatars for other members lately and on a few occasions I was a little surprised by the requests but it's just the way it goes, I guess. I try to understand not everyone is going to want the 'light' stuff.

[edit on 7/12/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley,

Your Avatar SCARES the heck out of me and has been giving me nightmares!!!!

Evil Pink

Semper

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

The Pink...

Watches you...

Sleep!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Good thread.

I agree that a hefty proportion of ATS avatars are dark but so is an even heftier proportion of ATS content. It's not exactly a happy place.

I purposely made my avatar a joke because that's just the kind of girl I am. I try not to take thing too, too seriously, including ATS.

There are a couple avatars on ATS that do make me uncomfortable. I am having a hard time remembering exactly which ones though...I think one had to do with a scary alien type thing. I don't want to look at things like that. Reading about it is one thing but the picture sticks in your mind. I do think an avatar says a lot about the user though.

As for Rumrunner's avatar...I'd run into King Leonidas (as played by Gerard Butler) in a dark alley anytime, anywhere. I think he's the one who would walk away with injuries. He's also my AIM icon

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by semperfortis

The Pink...

Watches you...

Sleep!

so do i, i also watch the pink sleep

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join