It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think people join the Freemasons?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Most people join because the are looking to develop business contacts as am i

You are about to be severely disappointed. Also, did you completely ignore that part of the oath that talks about not joining for personal gain?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Wow, we have more power than even I imagined. We've infiltrated the boy scouts!
Next stop, WORLD DOMINATION!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkerside
well i know about the Freemasons and i would join them anytime they asked,
i want to serve them, the people today dont deserve what they have, they should all be enslaved or dominated. The Freemasons want to achieve that, and thats why i would like to help them, forget morals, and ethics all a load of bull. I just cant wait for all the stuff they are going to do, going to achieve.

The knowledge is a bonus

[Mod Edit]

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by Sauron]

What an oddly shaped troll. You presume to much of one side of duality. The program we are in contains an on state of good/order and an off state of evil/chaos. They need each other to exist in this reality where anything can happen. Those that presume your attitude live a pitiful essence of life. Why not become a serial killer while your at it, live your aspect of life to the utmost, if not than your lazy and you enslave yourself to an ideal.

Why do the freemasons here have the highest ats score?

Why is their a pentagram on money spelling mason on the great seal?

Why is the statue of liberty a masonic babylonian god?

Why do i have to join to find out?

Do masons take gnostic sects into their fold?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by daemonicsoul
Why do the freemasons here have the highest ats score?

They don't.

Why is their a pentagram on money spelling mason on the great seal?

The same reason that I can make triangles and pentagrams on the dollar bill for lots of words. Because if you desperately want to believe in a conspiracy, and you have no evidence, you will make one up.

Why is the statue of liberty a masonic babylonian god?

Its not. There is no masonic god.

Why do i have to join to find out?

You don't. It would take 5 minutes of real research (read: not browsing conspiracy blogs) to find all the above out.

Do masons take gnostic sects into their fold?

...Masons take in anyone who believes in a Supreme Being. It doesn't matter what the religious flavor is.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Most people I know here in my town believe that it's basically the 'old boys network' idea, I think in part because there was a couple of scandals with the local lodge, one to do with government tenders, and the other with police corruption. Not long after that I applied for a job at the local council, and they gave me a new form they had just introduced, asking me to declare any membership of secret societies.

I saw this recruitment video recently, where they list the benefits of membership as 'social outlet', 'business network', 'mentors', 'endless contacts', 'support'

According to the info with that video "In most juristictions of Freemasonry recruitment is not allowed."

www.youtube.com...

I should state I don't actually believe most of the conspiracy stuff about the Masons, I'm sure a few lodges go rogue like in my town, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by bobafett]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Here we go again...

The masons aren't a secret cabal of evil.

In fact, we are mostly nerds and blue collar guys.

I joined because it sounded like a cool way to help out the community and it feels good to help others.

All of the ceremonies, passwords, grips, etc. are available online. The oaths are symbolic, just like everything else in masonry.

Being a mason does not entitle you to any personal gain and I have never known anyone in masonry to give or receive any advantage in personal or public life by virtue of being a mason.

In fact, if anyone wields power in these forums it is the anti-masons because you can make baseless unproven and unchallenged accusations about masonry and we have to defend ourselves time and again.

In the spirit of intellectual discourse is it too much to ask that you guys provide some sort of logical questions or factual evidence for your claims and let us debate honestly and factually?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Just a word about recruitment:

Masons don't recruit. Any man who is over 18 and believes in a Supreme Being can join. Recruiting is frowned upon even at the expense of new membership because we want people to form their own, uninfluenced opinion before joining.

You can walk away from masonry at any point in your journey with no questions asked, no hard feelings (except sadness that we didn't do all we could to help you) and no retributions.

Heck, in my lodge you can go two full years without paying your dues and still come to the meetings. (Dues are $50 per year, by the way, and I have never EVER been asked to give a penny more.)

Masons are citizens, patriots and family men.

If there are lodges out there doing stupid and crazy things then they need to be dealt with. There is no place in freemasonry for that type of disgraceful behavior.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Reading through the comments on a video on youtube, I think I found the perfect representation of what I believe freemasonry is about.

"its like cubscouts for old people"

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Also, while were on this topic and I've now seen several people talk about masons joining for personal gain/profit, allow me to share my experiences:

Anyone who thinks joining masonry will lead them to personal profit is sadly mistaken. Since joining I have been prompted to give money to numerous charitable causes - about 90% of which only benefited non-masons. This is of course in addition to the charitable giving I do in my church (collective gasp from anti-masons - yes I tithe too! HOW CAN IT BE?!). I am a student, so I really don't have that much money to give to begin with. However, what I do have, I give it gladly and happily because I know it goes to people who need it more than I do. But my overall "profit" for joining masonry has resulted in a negative cash flow.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett
Reading through the comments on a video on youtube, I think I found the perfect representation of what I believe freemasonry is about.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is EXACTLY like cub scouts for old people.

Although we are having an influx of younger men since all the Da Vinci Code/American Treasure stuff.

It seems like we have a lot of really old guys and a lot of Gen X and younger guys.

The Baby Boomers pretty much weren't interested in Freemasonry for some reason. Probably because they were too busy celebrating the Age of Aquarius or something.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The only reason to join the Free Masons is to make yourself a better man, that is what Masonry teaches you. Advancing through the lodge teaches you how to treat people properly, learn, grow, and develop a business. The organization is so loosely controlled, that it could never be used for all the crazy things people try to link Masonry with.

The secrets of a Mason are very, very few, whose only purpose is for recognition.

link   

Originally posted by emsed1

Originally posted by bobafett

Actually, now that I think about it, it is EXACTLY like cub scouts for old people.

Although we are having an influx of younger men since all the Da Vinci Code/American Treasure stuff.

It seems like we have a lot of really old guys and a lot of Gen X and younger guys.

The Baby Boomers pretty much weren't interested in Freemasonry for some reason. Probably because they were too busy celebrating the Age of Aquarius or something.

You're right about that. I'm 37 now, joined about a year and a half ago. We're getting a lot of new members around my age and much younger. There's a few in there 40's and 50's, most of those, masonry runs in the family and that's why they joined then the rest are in there 60's, 70's and 80's. The Baby Boomers just weren't joiners for some reason. Here in Maryland the masons are growing, finally having positive gains after decades of losses, but a lot of other fraternal organizations here are really losing members left and right.

Take care,

Michael
Hagerstown, MD

link   
Please don't tell me this.

The memory work is tough enough.

If I have to remember the difference between a rolling hitch and taut line hitch, while blinded I am doomed!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

The Baby Boomers just weren't joiners for some reason.

No surprise given that generations celebrated values.

I know some great Boomer masons, they do exist, however that age group over all is deffinately "missing" from the lodge.

Obligation, responsibility, accountability.....not attributes that were really appreciated by the hippie, or want to be hippie crowd.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness

Originally posted by Malevolent_Aliens
Swearing oaths in secrecy ARE against many religions out there including Christianity. Didn't Jesus himself say not to swear by anything on earth or in heaven?

I am a Christian, and this is one part of the dogma that irritates me when people try to use it against masonry. Every Christian today has sworn a oath. Citizenship is an oath, even if you never take the oath personally. Marriage is an oath. Going to court, you often have to swear an oath.

And yet, no one claims this is wrong because....?

Because your not swearing a death type oath, there's a big difference between an ordinary oath and an oath having to do with life and death don't you think?

If you were really Christian you might want to SWEAR BY NOTHING.

Didn't Jesus Himself say not to Swear by anything on earth or in heaven?

Not that I am Christian but I have at least read the bible a few times.

Carry on!

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Malevolent_Aliens]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Malevolent_Aliens

The problem is that the court oath, which is "..so help me God." actually is a death oath. If you look at the history behind it, its the equivalent of saying "may God strike me dead if I am not telling the truth."

Additionally, the Bible does not say you are not to swear. It says:

Matt. 5:34-7 But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Taken in context, the verse means that Christians should live their lives such that there is really no need to swear. If you are honest in all things, your yes will always be yes and your no will always be no. It does not mean oaths are not allowed, only that you should live your life in such a way that there should never be any question about anyone's capability to discern what you mean - regardless of not an oath is involved.

However, if anyone takes the stance the bible says you can't take oaths, then they can't be married or go to court. It never distinguishes between types of oaths.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What are the demographic breakdowns of people who are joing freemsasonry today? Are they mostly old (over 55), middle aged (35-55), somewhat young (25-35), or really young.(under 25) What regions do they live in? Are they mostly rural, suburban, or urban? What is their socio-economic status? Are they mostly bankers? Are they office workers? Are they plumbers?

My guess is that Masons are mostly old and live in rural communities. They are mostly middle and working class. That being said, they have few opportunities to socialize other than the local church or bar. Masonry may give them a third place to go.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
What are the demographic breakdowns of people who are joing freemsasonry today? Are they mostly old (over 55), middle aged (35-55), somewhat young (25-35), or really young.(under 25) What regions do they live in? Are they mostly rural, suburban, or urban? What is their socio-economic status? Are they mostly bankers? Are they office workers? Are they plumbers?

My guess is that Masons are mostly old and live in rural communities. They are mostly middle and working class. That being said, they have few opportunities to socialize other than the local church or bar. Masonry may give them a third place to go.
I can only speak for my own lodge, but I'd say within the last year or so most of the men I've seen join fall into the 25-35 category with some younger and some older. I live in a large city, so my lodge's demographics are primarily suburban and urban; likely an equal number of plumbers as lawyers. (I kinda resent being classified as "middle aged" when I'm only 38 years old, but what can you do?)
Blue-collar and white-collar sitting side by side. Young black southern-baptist, lower-class kid learning his work from an old, retired jewish business-owner. Those who stopped with a high school education and those with PhD's in Physics shaking hands with funny grips. Ours is not to judge. We all meet on the level.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I know it is the politically correct thing to say Masons are young and old, rich and poor, black and white, etc. I do not doubt that there are masons from every age group, every strata of society, and every racial group. There do however, have to be some demographic trends.

Take the NBA (national basketball association) for example. There are players from several different nations playing in the NBA like Yao Ming from China, Manu Ginobli from Argentina, and Tony Parker from France. There are players like Luke Walton and Kobe Bryant who grew up in relative affluence. That is not to say however, that a very large fractions of NBA players are Black Americans who grew up relatively poor.

Similarly, while there are masons from every segment of society, it should be safe to say that a disproportionately high amount of masonic members come from a certain segment of society. I lived in urban areas in California my entire life and have not come across many masons, nor have I noticed many lodges or other masonic activities. I would imagine that in other parts of the country there may be a higher concentration of lodges and masonry may be more visible.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

In suburban Northern New Jersey the trend is solidly in the 25-35 range. We do also have quite a few members that are below that age but not very many past that age.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join