It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds told me to start moving data out of state

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have read some posts and I have stated what happened at MY particular work site. I cannot speak for other agencies and there policies. Each agency does things different. I don't care what the MAIN policy states, everybody does things different. Some people won't know this unless they are actually in it. Reading from a book or what you watch on TV is not what happens on a day to day.

I asked if anyone else has heard of anything else suspicious. I am not going to tell you what is being transfered because that is against policy. I can say that I work for the GSA.

Also, we already store data offsite, so this is already in place. But, the time urgency of this is what has got me like what? It could be just a policy that needed to get done before deadline or something else!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I do not understand why every post becomes some convoluted argument. Suffice it to say some unusual procedures regarding data storage have been brought to our attention. Let us be mindful of what goes on around us. End of discussion. What is all this snipping crap about, and it's always that way lately.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

Wow, your really somebody. Are you his girlfriend? If you are, sorry. I didn't know I would get a tongue lashing from his newest flame. Just asking a question to a federal employee who seems to think it's OK to tell the world what he does at work to protect the citizens of the USofA.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you and your significant other. Continue!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It could also be something as simple as the contract for off site storage was up for renewal/competitive bid and a new vendor won the bid. In that case it is very normal to require the data be moved in a timely fashion (two weeks is LOTS of time to transfer data) so as to allow the former provider to re sell the space.

The GSA is simply not in the covert/intelligence/TOP SECRET business in any way, General Services is just not a hot arm of the Federal Government. They handle payroll, house keeping, facilities, etc...

I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts this is a mundane situation that just seems weird.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Yes, I agree with Mr. Springer 100%. Nothing out of the ordinary, just business as usual.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by Mainer

Yea, but this is the Feds, and we have been backing up data in another city close to Atlanta, now they want it in a whole other state and also we have to make sure everything is moved over a full replication within 15 days. That is out of the ordinary if you ask me.

Backing up to a nearby city is a violation of good emergency recovery proceedure. You make your backup sites far away, so they are not effected by the same disaster. One nuke, flood, earthquake or tornado taking out both sites is extremely poor planning.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

**The data storage facility did not loose the contract, we still have another five years on that. We will continue to backup there, this is like we need the data backed up in two weeks to another facility. (That's the odd part to me.)

If I made it seem like I am in covert ops or something like that, I didn't mean it like that. Yea, GSA is like the real estate of the Federal Government, nothing to do with signal analysis or anything like that. I am simply stating what happened at work and asking did anyone else notice anything out of the ordinary at their jobs, place of fun, etc. in and around the ATL area.

I have heard a lot of stories about Atlanta might be the next hot spot.

***This is directed to all, but was in reference to Springers post.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Do you have Vista on your OS. If so it may be the reason for all the confusion. I've heard that Atlanta may be the next stronghold of MS's new online storage facility. Only a guess but could be the next A51. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

GREAT POINT.

ATS is backed up daily and the data is stored in three different corners of the country... I would HOPE the USG is at least as smart as we are.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think security is very serious business, and a degree of confidentiality is required of it's practicioners.

Speculating and requesting speculation is a practice of espionage, not a practice of security practicioners.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This could be another 9/11 where our gov't gets a patsy lined up 'iran' Then creates a problem of atlanta getting 'attacked by terroists' and a solution of retaliaition on 'our' part. all for $ and slaves

And why is it always atlanta, georgia that comes up in conspiracy. Ever since i was a child and saw georgia on a map or anywhere i got horrible shivers of cold death. Ive read many strange things about the city and have seen it come up systematically in my lifes plan.

Act, dont react

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Duh.. in what hole have you been hiding? This is basic 'Business Continuation' planning for IT Departments: Backing up corporate data to off-site locations have been the norm for several years, mainly since 9/11. If you live in an earthquake or wildfire area, you backup to servers not located locally so in case something happens in your region and hence to your business, you can quickly relocate telephone & data so you can get you business up and running to continue to get the cash flowing.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlytOfHnd

Wow, your really somebody. Are you his girlfriend? If you are, sorry. I didn't know I would get a tongue lashing from his newest flame. Just asking a question to a federal employee who seems to think it's OK to tell the world what he does at work to protect the citizens of the USofA.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you and your significant other. Continue!

and you're a nasty little piece of work aren't you? - your handle says it all - slytofhand...with empahsis on slyt..

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Atlanta isn't one of the seven target cities for Al Qaeda's "American Hiroshima" which is supposedly to happen and has been planned for years.

Co-locating your backups isn't uncommon. In case of fire, damage etc., must have a co-located facility to store the data. I was surprised you didn't already have this process in place.

If your "higher ups" and/or administrative staff leave for vaction, be sure to take yours at the same time and get out of the area!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mlowsley

This is only a conspiracy of storage companies to make a ton of money.

What?? Aren't all companies in business to make money, except maybe non profits? Is the US into Capitalism or Communism? The government, Fortune 1000 companies and really ANY company should have 2 copies of their data off site in locations far enough away to not be compromised by the same event/disaster.

If small businesses go without there data for one week, 70% of them will go out of business. If they go through a Katrina or whatever and they have there data backed up at the same site or down the street or not backed up at all, they are screwed.

Storage companies are conspiring to make a ton of money? Nonsense....there is a need for the service and they provide the service. Should they provide the service for free? One in particular provides it better than all the rest and that is the one used by the government and 970 of the Fortune 1000.

What is the value of these company's data? It has HUGE value, so spending some money for a proper Disaster recovery plan that includes offsite storage to two facilties far away is what is needed. Should the service be provided for free? DAH!

The OP's issue (if there even was one) was probably that the facility was audited and they failed some part of it and needed to get on track asap with regards to compliance. Period. No conpiracy. There isn't a conspiracy in EVERYTHING that goes on in the world. If you work for the GSA, as it was said earlier, there isn't much value to your data that anyone anywhere would care about. But, the government would certainly care if you didn't have a proper DR plan and an event happened and the data was lost. Then you would be screwed if you were in charge of that DR plan.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

Whether you believe the OP's observations are reason to be concerned about some imminent event (which, based on what I've read, I do not) or not, the point is a good one.

We should duly note what the OP has seen at her place of work. Perhaps we will hear from others here who work in IT about similarly urgent projects at their facilities and begin to wonder what is happening.

No matter, I appreciate the OP's willingness to share.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I can see your stance that our data isn't valuable. I would have to disagree. We hold all of the blueprints for all Federal Buildings.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Well thanxs shanti. Always pleased to make an impression on such a mind as yours. I will cherish your words. Once again thanxs. Please feel free to pass on your thoughts anytime.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlytOfHnd

Well thanxs shanti. Always pleased to make an impression on such a mind as yours. I will cherish your words. Once again thanxs. Please feel free to pass on your thoughts anytime.

Your welcome, darlin....for a gentleman like yourself its always a pleasure

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Not sure if you should be making such comments. I might be wrong but I think your Male? If so, don't think this is the place to try your skills at coming out of the closet. Don't swing that way. I'm sure you could probably find a better web site for trolling for your own sex. Sorry to disappoint you but you might want to U2U realshanti, Maybe you could get something going there. Seems to be someone on your wave length.

Good luck to you both!
Try to stay on topic if you would OK? This is of interest to some members.

[edit on 7/12/08 by SlytOfHnd]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join