It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do 'not' believe everything you read!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
We were told and sold a late modification of a soyuz craft telemetry was responsible for another off and and hard tragectory landing. Leaving the Korean astronaut with spinal injury.
Now russian cosmonauts have dismantled the explosive bolt on the current soyuz shuttle to determine why hard landings have become commonplace.
Apparently the Russians are as good at disinfo as Nasa. Blame it on the team.

[edit on 7/11/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hiyah JPM ole buddy ole pal

What are you talking about here? Do you have an article I can read or something? I am not up on the topic of this thread but it sounds interesting, please explain. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Aww LA! Go to yahoo. Story is there. I am to paranoid to post links having been hacked before. Sorry for being a charlie brown. Thanks Late Apexer, fellow Buckeye.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Here it goes.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - In a daring spacewalk, two space station astronauts cut into the insulation of their descent capsule Thursday and removed an explosive bolt that could have blown off their hands with firecracker force.

ADVERTISEMENT

Spacewalkers Sergei Volkov and Oleg Kononenko managed, in the end, to safely disconnect the bolt from the Soyuz capsule that will be their ride home this fall. They immediately slid it into a blast-proof container.

"It is in," one of the Russian spacewalkers called out.

"Good. Thank God," someone replied in Russian.

Before the spacewalk, flight controllers in Moscow assured Volkov and Kononenko that the bolt would not explode and that the unprecedented job would help ensure their safe return to Earth in the Soyuz. Nonetheless, Mission Control repeatedly urged them to be careful as they worked near the explosives.

"Take your time," Mission Control warned. "Be careful; be careful, please."

NASA said that its own engineers were convinced the spacemen would be in no danger, and that it would be all right for them to put the explosive bolt in the blast-proof canister and take it into the international space station for eventual return to Earth.

The past two Soyuz descents have been steep, off-course and bone-jarring, and the Russian Space Agency wants to avoid the problem when Volkov and Kononenko fly home in October. The capsule currently docked at the space station ferried up the two Russians in April.

Kononenko used a serrated knife to cut away the thick shiny insulation surrounding the bolt — a tool normally shunned by spacewalkers because of the possibility of piercing their pressurized suits or gloves. It was a messy job, with shreds of the multilayer insulation floating every which way.

Next, the astronauts installed devices to eliminate static electricity, struggling at times in the small, cramped area. Finally, four hours into the spacewalk, Volkov pulled out a socket wrench and removed the 3-inch pyrotechnic bolt, one of 10 used to separate two parts of the module during re-entry.

During Soyuz descents this past April and in October 2007, these two sections did not separate properly, leading to so-called ballistic entries that subjected the crews to far higher gravity forces than normal.

Russian engineers suspect some of the explosive bolts did not fire. By disabling the bolts in this suspect location, there should be no mechanical hang-up during the October descent, officials said.

The lone American on board, Gregory Chamitoff, was inside the Soyuz for the entire six-hour spacewalk in case an emergency required the two Russians to join him in the capsule. Chamitoff took books, music and a laptop computer with him to while away the time, and could hear everything that was going on.

Each pyrotechnic bolt has the force of a large M-80 firecracker, NASA officials said.

A high-ranking flight director at Russian Mission Control outside Moscow told the crew Wednesday that the bolt could withstand shocks of up to 100 times the force of gravity and would not fire, even if they hit it with a big hammer. "You should not be concerned at all," he said.

The blast-proof container is made of stainless steel. It will remain sealed, with the bolt inside, until it is returned to Earth aboard the Soyuz for analysis.

"We dream of a lot of wild things to do, and after much analysis, sometimes we do them and sometimes we don't," Mike Suffredini, NASA's space station program manager, said earlier this week.

"We have quite a bit of confidence in this particular case that we're perfectly safe," Suffredini told reporters.

NASA has a keen interest in the Russian-built Soyuz capsules because they sometimes transport Americans to and from the space station, and also serve as lifeboats. Once the space shuttles are retired in 2010, the Soyuz will be the sole means of human space transportation until 2015, when America's new rocketship starts carrying crews.

Before floating back inside, Volkov and Kononenko attached a patch over the cut insulation on the Soyuz. As they wrapped up their work, Mission Control congratulated the pair and noted that Volkov was now "a full-blown crew commander" with his own grenade.

The two Russians will take another spacewalk Tuesday to perform much more routine space station work.
My public apologies to my neighbors who were blowing off kimono 1000's.
I put up with you thursday, friday, and sunday night before I went bugstuff on you. My 'good' neighbor cleaned 26 bottle rockets off their roof.
___

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ahh, m80's and h100's in space. A quarter, and a half stick of dynamite.
Now dismantled. But it was the crew of the last descent module blamed for telemetry problems.
Who's to blame now!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Woops, was that milligrams or kilograms of ordinance. My chicken sandwich is getting cold. Eeny meeny miney moe.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Geez, I thought an unexploded ordinance off the ISS and soyuz landing shuttle would be worthy of a continuing thread. Go's to show how stupid I am.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
An ISS crew managed to pull off a very dangerous procedure. Regarding an explosive bolt on a reentry module and it gets deep sixed. Sometimes I just don't understand the mentality of this board.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

An ISS crew managed to pull off a very dangerous procedure. Regarding an explosive bolt on a reentry module and it gets deep sixed. Sometimes I just don't understand the mentality of this board.

Its hit or miss some days. I guess this thread is just for the Ohioans on this forum.

LINK TO RUETERS

LINK TO KOREAN HURT ON LANDING

I am tired and I have been up almost 24 hours working two jobs. I fail to see the connection. Please elaborate. I am most interested and will be following this thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
DINSTAAR to the rescue. Run with this my good friend. I have appeared to hit the wall. I have a pug nose anyway, it will hardly be noticed.
The last reentry module went down hard, very hard on an oblique course that was blamed on the crew. I say it is a hardware issue.
Not late reentry decision.

DIN you are my most favorite poster on this board. Rock this puppy out. And get some sleep.

[edit on 7/13/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The reason a pyrotechnic bolt would be needed in the first place is to blow off a section of the craft. If it failed to go off, then something that was supposed to be blown off was not.

The Soyuz-TMA is an updated Russian craft in a similar program to the American space shuttle. Both of which I would not drive down the street, let alone into space.

We are depending on rubbish technology to get to space. While spending billions to maintain it. Give any responsibility to a government like ours or Russia and you can expect to pay more for less.

The injury's could have been blamed on the crew to shift blame from the fact that these crafts are old technology. The government wants to keep the funds coming from the taxpayer and does not want it to look like a waste of money so it fabricates an excuse and ultimately, a scapegoat.

A thought.... I am still on no sleep and I am about to go to my other job.

DINSTAAR

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Another thought. I am just throwing ideas out there. I have no proof, just merely speculation.

Could some entity be spying on the space operations. They were to remove something from the outside of the craft, could it have been a wiretap (or a similar monitoring device)? Does someone want to know what we are up to in the heavens?

edit: you told me to rock this, so here you go. More tomorrow.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
If Buzz Aldrin's you tube is any indication of what may be visiting craft. I'd say our hands are pretty full. I could NEVER find the part two where he was leading into an in capsule visitation. I see no reason why Buzz would make up stuff. He was not selling a book and a straight shot kind of guy.
Din....I worry about you. If you don't some sleep soon....don't make me come down there.

As far as our current space travel goes I could not agree more. We are still driving Pinto's into space. At least that's what we know of.

[edit on 7/14/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
My entire premise here is the crew were blamed for a hard landing due to a late telemetry change.
Now bolts are not exploding properly. Perhaps Surgie had to whip off an h100 in space to blow the last bolt and caused them to land hard.

We won't ever know the truth.

I also need/request an ATS for dummies (for which I am) how to post my very infrequent threads on the appropriate forum.

[edit on 7/17/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I just thought of this. Blastproof cannisters in space. But no backup parts for the loo.
Am I missing something?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I don't know anything about this particular issue, but I don't take anything for granted until I've done the research myself. Those who do, are open for indoctrination by anyone who manages to convince them of their credibility. Unfortunately the majority of the global population are like that.

new topics

join