It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fairford Saturday Display Cancelled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Rainfall Stops Fairford Airshow

Man thats bad...they sell huge amounts of advanced tickets. The place will be even more of a nightmare to get into and out of on Sunday as well. Was anyone planning on going?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The airshow may have been canceled for a couple of days but they have still managed to get in a nice demonstration of the F22 BBC

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

shame there was no one there except the press to see it - since sunday (and the entire event was cancelled) as well.

theres also talk to moving it since the BS stunt the USAF pulled this year.

want to know what that is? its the first time they demanded the event park on the grass in bad weather - in all other events hardstandings has been used in rain - but suddenly when its the royal international air tatoo its on the grass.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The past three times I've been the whole getting in/parking thing has been a nightmare, with 5/10 mile queues and very little police presence/marshalling of traffic on the outer roads.

I've normally parked on the perimeter - which is a grass seeded topsoil layer over stone - although last year I ended up in an overspill car park, which was hell to get out of, and about 3/4 of a mile from the gate entrance.

They've made the event too big IMHO, a 9.30 to 18.30 flying display at a huge show in the southern part of the country is a total pig to anyone who is North of Birmingham to get to.

Still, the weather has really bitten them in the ass. I wonder if they will reorganise. Would be hard to get all that gear in the same place again this summer.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I try to go to the Air Tattoo every couple years, and was pretty excited about attending this year as it was the first appearance of the F-22 in Europe.

I'm only 30 minutes drive from RAF Fairford, and even then I've always opted for the shuttle bus service offered by Thamesdown Transport to avoid the nightmarish traffic congestion that neformore has obviously had to deal with!

I don't think that the show would be re-organised for a revised show this year; I think logistically it's pretty much impossible considering the size of the event and the countries involved.

The pictures on the website give a good indication of the mess the fields became. I do enjoy standing on the fields by the runway when the big attractions take off, and I certainly wouldn't have fancied going wading through the muddy marshland it became over the weekend.

Fingers-crossed for a good rain-free show next July.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonGray

Right then Boss, the next time its on I'm camping in your back yard!

Theres nothing quite like standing on the Flightline when a B52 or B1 - or as this year would have seen - the Vulcan - hits full power and you get that "roar" and the unique smell of jet fuel being burned at extravagant rates

Looks like the only "show" I'll get to this year is Southport now.

[edit on 14/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
it is a real shame .
but for us lucky ones who were at Waddington, this year will not be a year to forget !!!!

snoopyuk

top topics

join