It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee Cans are a Suvivalists's Best Friend!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I was thinking that humble metal coffee cans have a of lot of purpose beyond their initial use:

Carry Water
Cook Food
Keep Food Airtight
Keep Little Things Watertight
Cut a few holes out of a big one turned upside down and make a stove
Make a "Survival Mirror"
Use to hold Fishing Bait
Fill with sand and shake or roll to remove rust from small items

If you have a "survival kit" then I would get a big, and a little coffee can to keep there. They aren't dead weight; just pack little things like fishing tackle, blades, first aide, ect. inside. It'll help you organize that way, too!

Just some thoughts I wanted to share, thanks!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I agree, was upset when my favorite brands switched over to plastic cans. Lighter, but they dont do well for boiling water.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yah, I know!

The off-brands still use metal, though... they aren't that much, even if you don't like the taste.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Also, it may be possible in your country to buy New Zealand tinned butter and cheddar cheese. Also, for carnivores, there is a company in Canad or the USA (not certain which) named Yoder's that makes bacon slices in a can that will last for 10 year shelf life.

If storing large containers:

* Get air tight containers. Plastic containers encourage more condensation inside than metal. Drier is better; use enamel lined metal if you can.
* CO2 / dry ice treatment. Removes oxygen the critters need to live. Using heavy gloves, place several ounces of dry ice in the bottom of the container, slowly pour the grain on top of it. Do NOT use larger amounts of dry ice. Let stand covered, BUT NOT SEALED without disturbing for 12 hours. The air in the can is driven out by the CO2 gas which fills the container from the bottom. After 12 hours, seal the container, but check every 12 hours for any signs of pressure. If the CO2 continues to dissolve, it can push the top off or blow out the sides! Vent any excess pressure, then reseal the container.
* Silica gel treatment. Keeps the grain too dry to support bug life. Get the 40 gram tins, keep in an airtight container, change every 4-6 weeks, silica gel can be redried in a slow oven.
* Diatomaceous earth (DE). This is NOT the stuff people put in swimming pool filters. Edible diatomaceous earth is a natural combination of silica and trace minerals which has not been heat treated and is available from survivalists via the internet. It acts by drying out insects and eggs so they die. It is not poisonous, or can be washed off whole grains. Don't breath the dust, however; it can be drying and irritating to the lungs. To use DE, mix 1 ounce (2 teaspoons) mixed into a five pound jar of grains. Mix 1 pound (just under 3/4 cup) in each 100 pounds of grains.

The above is a quote from this LINK

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Hm, that butter is an intersting thought. I read somewhere that the first American settlers had such a high mortality rate because they didn't have access to the fats, particularly in the form of butter, to survive those harsh winters.

new topics

top topics

join