It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a Frackin ' Cracker!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This story here has just confirmed my belief that religion is a conspiracy and a danger to mankind.

"It's a Frackin' Cracker!"

Webster Cook says he smuggled a Eucharist, a small bread wafer that to Catholics symbolic of the Body of Christ after a priest blesses it, out of mass, didn't eat it as he was supposed to do, but instead walked with it.

Source

"We don't know 100% what Mr. Cooks motivation was," said Susan Fani a spokesperson with the local Catholic diocese. "However, if anything were to qualify as a hate crime, to us this seems like this might be it."

A hate crime
Are you kidding me.

"She came up behind me, grabbed my wrist with her right hand, with her left hand grabbed my fingers and was trying to pry them open to get the Eucharist out of my hand," Cook said, adding she wouldn't immediately take her hands off him despite several requests.
Source

I would really like to hear some opinions on this story. What about the death threats being a crime or people grabbing him and trying to pry his fingers open. People would kill a human over a frackin' cracker! come on now, that's ridiculous.

MyFoxOrlando

wftv.com9

Catholic League

Body Of Christ Returned

One more thing. So you can eat it, chew it and poop it out and flush it down the toilet but you can't keep it.

[edit on 7/11/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh jeez! Maybe he didn't feel good and didn't want to eat it and puke all over or something? Maybe he suspected them of posining the crackers?(Not likely, just my weirded out thoughts.... lol.)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
From what i can see - reaction to what he did is totally off the map. But on the other side - why he decided to pull it in the church? Someone disagrees with certain religion - do not go to its places and do not mess with their symbols. I do not understand what the fuss about this bread is, but it is a symbol.
Those that send him death threats are bigger nut cases then him, but he is not innocent too. No need to spit people in the face.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm a what?

oh, we're talking about the other cracker.

this is insanity for sure but, out of curiousity, how much of a scene did he make about not eating the cracker? did he go up there, do whatever it is that catholics do to get the cracker and then make a scene about not eating it? did he quietly spit it into his hand to take with him?
the reason I ask is this:
if he made a scene about it, made a stink about getting the cracker and not eating it, I can see how some might see this as an intentional act meant to harm their beliefs. I don't necessarily agree but I can see how they might react that way. fighting over the cracker is silly nonetheless but you need to know what he did to get that cracker. one side of the story tells you one thing. an exaggerated version of what really happened.

I would now like to point out that I, Crakeur, am not symbolic of the body of christ. I am, however, symbolic of what happens when you get older, eat and drink too much and don't work out. I guess you could say I am symbolic of the body of shamu.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
For Catholics the Eucharist is sacred, the symbolism is from the final supper.
And yeah, it's a cracker, well, it's unlevened bread... but to a solid Catholic it's something that has been blessed by God.
If you're not religiouse, then you don't understand what the big deal is, and that's cool.
But for some Catholics who are, it's a disgrace to them that the Church allows the Eucharist to be handed out to the individual, instead of being placed in their mouths directly.
Like I said, if you're religiouse, you can probably understand why she was uptight about it, if you're not, then it's just a cracker, and she's just a crazy religiouse person, get over it and move on.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. The communion wafer was given freely to Cook for consumption. At that point the wafer was his property, to do with as he pleases.

I don't think this guy set out to intentionally disrupt the service. The service was disrupted by other parishioners, as they physically assualted him. Now that particular disruption was disrespectful.

The strange thing about the whole communion process is that it is a sanctified form of cannibalism. The wafer and wine symbolizes the body and blood of Christ.

Anyway, the fact that this church is even suggesting that the body of Christ has been taken hostage is a bit of a stretch, in my honest opinion.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

From what I read he was taking the cracker back to his seat to show a fellow student senator what it looked like. That's when the woman grabbed him and tried to pry it from his hands. After that he put it in his mouth so people would leave him alone. But someone was watching when he took it back out to show the other guy. The student got pissed and left.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The best response I've heard to this is that a collection of thousands of kidnapped blessed crackers should be glued into a lifesize version of Jesus. Would be a real lifesize fleshy Jesus. We could even place a talking robotic mechanism inside it, perhaps powered by blessed wine.

Possibly the only way this dude's gonna come back.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I understand that the cracker is a symbolic body of Christ to the Catholic's, but to get death threats for a cracker or to be exspelled from college, charged with a hate crime etc... To me the cracker was blessed by a preist who is a man and therefore isn't blessed at all. I'm holding out to see where this story goes and if the student was just causing trouble or actually didn't realize what he did. Either way it;s still a frackin' Cracker!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Imagine if he collected a bowl full of them and ate them like "Christ chex." -using the words of comedian Dane Cook. What do you imagine his punishment would be then?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by anyone

Now that is wrong.

Really though, should a guy be killed, expelled or whatever for what he did? Maybe fined in the court of law, but not charged with a hate crime and definitely not killed for it.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

This whole thing is just wrong. I must have misread your post but are you saying this guy is going to be killed for this???

I was only joking of course... sorry. I believe in God and this is obviously unGodly... and unbelievable.

-in your words "over a frackin' cracker?" I mean come on.

Sorry if I insulted you... in was dark humor I guess.

no hard feelings?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
oops I just spied you smiley.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Boy what a dolt I am seriously...

Back on track, this is ridiculous! The people ripping it from his hand should take a long hard look in the mirror.

(Silly gullible me.:duh

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well you disrespect someone's "god" and there are bound to be ramifications, whether justified or not.

It is silly though... the idea that God is contained in a piece of bread, yet Catholics also say that God is in everything. Well, which is it???

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Anyway, PZ Myers blogged about this silly incident and the death threats the kid received, and suggested he might also desecrate a biscuit - he asked someone to send him one.

He received many more death threats from the oh so peaceful and loving catholics. He also got the attention of good old Bill Donohue who asked people to complain to his University boss - even though he had done not much more than propose a future act with a biscuit. In fact, he was actually just saving it from cannibalism.

So we have a student and university prof attracting death threats, hysterical catholics, and magic biscuits under attack.

Anyway, government people have reacted and security to protect those under threat is being pushed for...

Thomas E. Foley is chairman of Virginia's First Congressional District Republican Committee, a delegate to the Republican National Convention and one of two Republican at large nominees for Virginia's Electoral College. His concern is for the safety of Catholics attending this year's Republican National Convention in Minneapolis, Myers' backyard. Accordingly, Foley has asked the top GOP brass to provide additional security while in the Twin Cities so that Catholics can worship without fear of violence. Given the vitriol we have experienced for simply exercising our First Amendment right to freedom of speech, we support Foley's request.

linky

I'm amazed. I really am. People are receiving death threats, but apparently additional security is needed for magic biscuits. The persecution complex is running rampant. On one side we have magic BISCUITS. On the other HUMAN LIVES being put under threat.

Human race: we suck?

[edit on 11-7-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't expect people to believe that Jesus is present in the "biscuit" (what we call a "host"), but that is, in fact, what many Catholics believe. For us, a man who sets our churches on fire but leaves the hosts alone would be easier to tolerate. Can't there be more respect for religious beliefs? I am not a Hindu, but I would never think of running into a Hindu funeral and taking the butter, flower petals, and other items used in the funeral ritual, and then claim that I am taking these items "hostage," and then joke about it. No I would not do that. Catholics are now really spooked because it is no longer just words spoken against Catholicism. Now there is a biology professor at a university who blogs in defense of host desecration and has specifically requested students to steal hosts for him so that he can desecrate them. This concerns Catholics. This professor is actually encouraging people to steal something sacred from our churches. A man who encourages others to steal televisions would be locked up. But a man who encourages people to steal sacred things is lauded and even defended. Yes, Catholics are very concerned.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Sounds like some people were scared to death that the man would chemically analyze the waifer. Whatever the reason ,the man should never go back to that church. The people handing out the waifers are behaving strangely.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I would just like to comment that if Jesus Christ was "God" in human form, what he was saying at the last supper was purely symbolic, and probably didn't even happen in that literal way at all. Maybe it did, but his followers who were present most lilely understood the metaphor within a metaphor.

Jesus' "body" being eaten, symbolized by a cracker, is probably a metaphor for the fact that Everything Physical is God's "Body", and any liquid... in this case it was red wine because it resembles blood and the symbolism is quite obvious... is the "blood" flowing through God's "body".

Just my two dinars.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

DUH ? what did you think it was " Soylent Green ". It's a symbol, bread, chacker.
Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join