It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clean Air Causes Global Warming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke and post by ZindoDoone

I was about to say you guys were wasting your breath (typing?) but I've reconsidered... this guy is hilarious! Thanks for egging him on.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
TheRedneck,

There is this device that can suck your soul out of your body. It was invented by Nikola Tesla, do you know how it works? Let me tell you, it works with electromagnetism.

There is also this device called a "wireless transmitter". You use it all the time with cell phones, satellite t.v., radios.... etc. Well what if I told you that entanglement works off the same principle? It's like voodoo, on a sub-atomic scale, which is where you exist but don't know it.

en.wikipedia.org...

So lets think about something for a bit, I'm sorry for getting off topic above, but lets get back on topic:

Lets start with logic, which was actually nonexistent until I got here.

Ill explain it in terms as if I was talking to a child, it should help.

I will start with what we should have learned in kindergarten when we were finger painting. It's about COLORS.

When something is the color blue, that means it is absorbing all frequency ranges of visible light except the color blue which is bouncing off into your eyes. When something is red, all colors are absorbed except red, which bouncing off and into your eyes.

When something is WHITE like CLOUDS or ICE CAPS, all of the light is bouncing, reflecting off of the clouds and ice. When something is BLACK like a t-shirt, or the interior of a vehicle, ALL the light is absorbed into the material, this makes it black in our eyes. This is why when it is a sunny day, black shirts are hotter than white shirts.

Now I don't know if you have ever been to the city, but when it hasn't rained for a long time, and it hasn't been too windy, THE SKY IS GRAY! Not only is the sky gray, but it is gray all the way to the ground where the gray comes from, right out of black exhaust pipes from cars that burn normally black oil. Gray is a very light color of black, this we should have learned in kindergarten as well..

So, lets take a guess here... What happens when you turn the entire sky gray, when normally the sky is clear? IT ABSORBS MORE LIGHT!

Now, using logic, that would mean it absorbs more HEAT.

I win.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't know... where is their evidence if the amount of pollution is still increasing? It doesn't make sense for them to make a claim when pollution is still increasing and not decreasing, therefor a lack of evidence.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Wow, we may have a spark of comprehension. OK, I'll reply back, as long as you don't go off the deep end again.

You seem awfully concerned about city smog. That's good, smog is dangerous as well as annoying. I should know; I have driven a truck cross-country for over 7 years now, and have seen every major US city except Seattle. Smog is definitely a problem, but in my experience, it seems to be decreasing a bit. The last several times I was in L.A., I could actually see things. So I ask, what city are you in that the smog problem is not improving?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Clean Air Causes Global Warming

newsbusters.org

GOODBYE air pollution and smoky chimneys, hello brighter days. That's been the trend in Europe for the past three decades - but unfortunately cleaning up the skies has allowed more of the sun's rays to pierce the atmosphere, contributing to at least half the warming that has occurred.
(visit the link for the full news article)

First of all, lets be careful about information. In this case the OP sources information from here newsbusters. News busters belongs to this group.

Media Research Center Inc. (MRC) is a conservative media watchdog group run by president and founder Brent Bozell. In 2006 the MRC had total revenue of $10.8 million[1] and 50 full-time staff members. It is predominately funded by larger right-wing foundations
Media Research Centre.
The author of this blog is Noel Sheppard, who is described as

Sheppard has used his NewsBusters posts in particular to attack the idea that global warming is caused by humans. Sheppard has also accused Al Gore of being involved in global warming activism solely to make money from it.
So now that we all have the chance to established the impartial or biased nature of the OP's sources, lets turn our attention to the NewScientist Article that Noel and the OP use to attack GW.
First of all Noel and the OP fail to point out the following quote in his blog, which follows the quote he selectively highlights in his blog.

The decrease in aerosols probably accounts for at least half of the warming over Europe in the last 30 years," says Rolf Philipona, a co-author of the study at MeteoSwiss, Switzerland's national weather service.

The latest climate models are built on the assumption that aerosols have their biggest influence by seeding natural clouds, which reflect sunlight. However, the team found that radiation dropped only slightly on cloudy days, suggesting that the main impact of aerosols is to block sunlight directly.

Now, the study states that

The rapid temperature increase of 1°C over mainland Europe since 1980 is considerably larger than the temperature rise expected from anthropogenic greenhouse gas increases. Here we present aerosol optical depth measurements from six specific locations and surface irradiance measurements from a large number of radiation sites in Northern Germany and Switzerland. The measurements show a decline in aerosol concentration of up to 60%, which have led to a statistically significant increase of solar irradiance under cloud-free skies since the 1980s. The measurements confirm solar brightening and show that the direct aerosol effect had an approximately five times larger impact on climate forcing than the indirect aerosol and other cloud effects. The overall aerosol and cloud induced surface climate forcing is ∼+1 W m−2 dec−1 and has most probably strongly contributed to the recent rapid warming in Europe.
www.agu.org...
So the report is saying that there is expecteded anthropogenic greenhouse warming, that when this group measure aerosol optical depth to gage solar radiation extinction and absorbtion they found that the lack of aerosols masked greenhouse gas effects, by cooling, so given the decrease in pollution the masking is apparent in the unexpected increase in temperature when held up against GW models based on greenhouse gases.
This infact supports GW and Climate change theory. Aerosol masking of GW has been suspected for many years, this study proves it. Thanks OP. But You and your source fail to acknowledge this though.

Unlike greenhouse gases -- which stay in the atmosphere for long periods and are fairly evenly distributed -- aerosols are more concentrated near their sources and variable in space and time, making it difficult to quantify their impacts. "But their cooling effect may be as large as the warming effect created by humans pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere during the last century," said Toon, also a professor in CU-Boulder’s Program for Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences.

University of Colorado report on Aerosols masking GW This is from march in 2000.
The OP and The Blog he sources are way behind and struggling to discredit the Pure science telling us the facts.
This thread is typical of those trying to spin the facts to disguise the truth in an effort to feed doubt to support their apathy. This thread is another in a long line of GW attacks that distort reports, typical of right wing media/blogs or think tanks that spin and obscure the issues and the truth. Here is another Thread that see posters employing the same poor tactics, Bias twisting or obscuring science to promote an aganda. Here is Another.
Truely pathetic.
Interestingly though, here is a link i found on the New Scientist site at the end of the Article the OP's source uses. Cases Closed. New Scientist

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Are the perma frost's in siberia melting yet? because until then im more worried about the CO2 released volcanoes etc from the sea rather than our measly emmissions...anyhoo....global warming is happening just doesnt have a damn thing to do with us...and guess what? even if we are adding to it...and we completely stopped releasing CO2 from planes,factories etc etc...the perma frost is still going to melt in time because of *natural* global warming.....sooo.....its a lose lose situation...nature isnt forgiving....poo is still going to hit the fan...

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Lethil]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join