It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clean Air Causes Global Warming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

this week as every week another major global warming event!

hourly now, Reported first just 4 hours ago

Antartic Ice Breaking Up in Dead of Winter!

Now this is the Antartic! if that melts the seas rise , this one thing just found out today totally negates all the "conservative" climate models,

"If that melts the seas rise" ... and ... ??

Precisely. Nothing much happens. Some low-lying land floods, but that's it.

GW isn't just over-hyped, it's a flat-out deception being pulled on the global population.

OMG! In 6 months the Northern hemisphere will get cold and widespread ice might form and plants and trees might die or at least shed their leaves!! * gasp *.

It's nothing to worry about - it happens every year.

The worst thing that could happen is that you believe the BS being spouted and bow to the pressures of government. They very obviously have an agenda, and it's called money.

sty

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
and who paid the study ? BP ?? people have to understand - we live on a 4 miles thick bubble of atmosphere - of course what we trow in we need to breath. It will take several generations to see the effects of our actions , if we do not understand it now it does not mean it does not exist. The solar activity is very reduced at the moment and this explains the little cooling we see. But in 2012 ( the maximum of solar activity) we will understand that we are not safe yet.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

and who paid the study ? BP ??

That's such a dumb question.

I'd be more concerned about a reversal of the Earths magnetosphere and solar radiation than any level of global warming.

During the reversal, the Earths magnetosphere weakens significantly, and we could very likely see outages of power, satellites and communications, and deaths, as a result of the radiation hitting the Earth at powers not seen before.

Power outages happened in the 70s in the US during the Solar maximum - the magnetic radiation shorted power stations and power grids out and caused widespread loss of electricity and communications for several hours.

I guess they'll blame that on climate change, too, should it ever re-occur in the future.

People are so gullible.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
I was waiting for something like this.

Whatever happens, IT WILL AFFECT THE CLIMATE! Clear skies are a bad thing - it lets more energy in so things can warm up. At least the clouds keep the temperature down due to "global dimming".

Don't you just love the way these people pick and choose their facts?

CO2 is NOT a pollutant! WTF are they on about? I suppose O2 is a pollutant, too??

I've written this lot off as junk. The whole 9 yards.

YES clean up pollution and stop polluting rivers etc.. that kill things and make people ill, but to start isolating one or two gases that are a fundamental part of life on earth, that's just stupid!

ahem....

I think maybe you need to read little about the Carbon Cycle and also brush up on your knowledge of the climatic history of the Earth.

What has been found by the mainstream body of research from multidisciplinary fields is that usually when one of these huge climate shifts happen, its Co2 causing it, basic plain ahem school text book science fact!

Interestingly the changes in the rise of Co2 has never been seen as quickly to rise as the present (data fact google it! but .edu though! ) rate.

Now these previosu changes like we seem to be undergoing usually coincide with massive loss of evidence of life across the fossil records, for all fauna flora and animals etc. You know global extinctions, when nearly everything dies?

So a link could be postulated?
put forward?
makes sense we have all seen famine in the poor third world on TV right? you know caused by local weather patterns changing?

On the TV right?

Well no food WE all die, but guess what IN NEARLY EVERY GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE EVENT THE MAIN INTERACTING DRIVER OF THE EVENT WAS CO2 OR ITS LACK THEROF

ahem... cough cough.

Dont You Just Love It When the Facts Are irrefutable? And Facts?

Its late I wont post the rest of the factual evidence of this and its Global warming, not Bloody Climate Change, im soo sick of the spin...

Look at my link in the previous post

ONE OF THE LARGEST ICE SHEETS IN THE WORLD IS CURRENTLY MELTING INTO THE SEA!

Im sick of the spin, the lack of knowledge and full of surety in their view on this from the top to bottom!

Read understand, then speak, the internet allows you to mould and plant seeds in peoples knowledge of the world, and in some cases that is a frightening thought!.

In fact for once in my life I may support the thought police themselves!
And that truly is an Anti Thesis to my Core.

Regards,

Elf
ElfEdit for link

[edit on 11-7-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Are you sure the CO2 didn't follow such extinctions, rather than preceded them?

Ice has been melting since the last ice-age. I find it puzzling why we're so bothered now. If we're going to be wiped out by some climatic event, thne so be it. We're sure as hell not going to stop it (especially as you say that it has happened before, assuming all the data is correct).

There are rather a lot of assumptions being made by scientists. I have respect for them, don't get the wrong idea, but when the same group of scientists are using Venus as a comparison for what the Earth would be like if we had an atmosphere with high concentrations of CO2, then something is seriously wrong somewhere (and it isn't my understanding).

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
read

learn

grow

re read the first lot of information on that subject

then read the opposing views facts

think yourself

speak

goodnight :-)

Elf
Removed Blatant and rather sad actually Self Ego stroke Here - Should Never have thought About the Thought Police!

And if they did exist would it be illegal to think about them?

[edit on 11-7-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Antartic Ice Breaking Up in Dead of Winter!

Now this is the Antartic! if that melts the seas rise , this one thing just found out today totally negates all the "conservative" climate models,

Well then, I'm glad the ice is increasing.

Anartic Ice increasing

Here is another link

Oh look, the artic ice is increasing also.

Source 1

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
I think maybe you need to read little about the Carbon Cycle and also brush up on your knowledge of the climatic history of the Earth.

I think I'm pretty up to date on that. Let's see what you got.

What has been found by the mainstream body of research from multidisciplinary fields is that usually when one of these huge climate shifts happen, its Co2 causing it, basic plain ahem school text book science fact!

It's a fact that we found evidence of previous climactic change in ice core samples. It is not a fact that the evidence shows irrefutably what caused the changes. Please get your 'facts' straight on what constitutes a fact as opposed to a theory or hypothesis or postulation.

We have found elevated levels of CO2 as compared to other times in the ice core samples wherein there are indications of a warmer climate. The CO2 level appears to rise after the temperatures rise. Also, as far as I can tell, the salinity and carbonate concentration of the ice has not been tested. Carbonates in sea water can produce CO2 as a consequence of natural decay after the samples were frozen. thereby negating the reliability of the study.

Interestingly the changes in the rise of Co2 has never been seen as quickly to rise as the present (data fact google it! but .edu though! ) rate.

Indeed! You got one right, the rise in CO2 levels is (as far as we know) unprecedented. However, while the rise has been more or less steady over the last several decades, a definite acceleration in the CO2 level has occurred in the last years. So it is extremely interesting that the global temperature (as reported by NOAA) has remained steady since 1998, despite the rise in CO2 levels.

Now these previosu changes like we seem to be undergoing usually coincide with massive loss of evidence of life across the fossil records, for all fauna flora and animals etc. You know global extinctions, when nearly everything dies?

So a link could be postulated?

Agreed, it could be postulated. But we have no evidence that approaches proof. I could postulate that global weather extremes coincided with the high price of oil as well, but I would have no proof. And neither do you.

makes sense we have all seen famine in the poor third world on TV right? you know caused by local weather patterns changing?

On the TV right?

I seem to remember as far back as I have been alive, the weather changed from day to day. Isn't that the reason we have a cable TV channel exclusively devoted to reporting/predicting it? As well as a meteorologist (weather-man) in every town?

Well no food WE all die, but guess what IN NEARLY EVERY GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE EVENT THE MAIN INTERACTING DRIVER OF THE EVENT WAS CO2 OR ITS LACK THEROF

1) Where did you get the notion of no food? CO2 is one of the regulators of photosynthesis (plant growth). More CO2 = more growth = more food and less CO2. I learned that in the 4th grade, 40+ years ago.

2) I have already called into question your assertion that CO2 has been proven to be the cause of past climactic change.

3) I fail to see your connection between the two. Perhaps if you study Gore's movie, you will be able to make seamless transitions between unrelated concepts without being questioned on it. He is pretty good at it, and should make a great tutor in that subject.

ahem... cough cough.

I thought I was the smoker?

Its late I wont post the rest of the factual evidence of this and its Global warming, not Bloody Climate Change, im soo sick of the spin...

Actually it was Global Cooling first. And yes, I hate the spin too. I prefer facts and verified, repeatable evidence.

ONE OF THE LARGEST ICE SHEETS IN THE WORLD IS CURRENTLY MELTING INTO THE SEA!

And another one is expanding. Not sure which one, so take your pick:

Arctic Ice Increasing - Feb 2008
Antarctic Ice Increasing

Im sick of the spin, the lack of knowledge and full of surety in their view on this from the top to bottom!

Er, I thought we covered this...

Read understand, then speak, the internet allows you to mould and plant seeds in peoples knowledge of the world, and in some cases that is a frightening thought!.

No more frightening than what has happened in the MSM in the last several decades. It's just digital now.

In fact for once in my life I may support the thought police themselves!
And that truly is an Anti Thesis to my Core.

Well, this speaks for itself. Are you indicating that anyone who disagrees with you should be a criminal? I sincerely hope not.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I suppose O2 is a pollutant, too??

That would depend on the environment and the status of the creatures living there. Yes, Oxygen is a pollutant - and when plants first developed oxyphotosynthesis it polluted the atmosphere and caused an extinction event known as the Oxygen Catastrophe

We don't really have to worry about it now, because we are descended from the creatures which could adapt to the new oxygen rich atmosphere. We depend on it. So to us, no, it's not really a pollutant in the layman sense - but it has been at one time. Oxygen, btw, is still highly toxic - but it won't affect us at normal concentrations under normal atmospheric pressures. Too much oxygen at pressure in a short period of time, or too little oxygen over long periods of time can lead to Oxygen Toxicity or hyperoxia which causes damage to the nervous system and pulmonary system.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The SUN is what causes global warming.

Anyone else notice how cold this summer has been???

Where I live we have had 3 hot days...and some very very cold ones.. so cold that I worried about my garden.. in June/July..

If so.. have you noticed how we have not had a single sunspot in months??

Now..

I am not saying this so I can justify driving the kind of vehicle I want too... or because I need to climb up the rear end of a wealthy person that just so happens to profit immensely over pollution.

I am saying this because it is what it is.

In the recent years past.. we noticed the other planets in the solar system heating up!!..

Co2 has very little to do with it.. (Co2 is a WEAK green house gas... btw)

It is the Sun.. and the electric circuit that connects us to it and it to the rest of the Galaxy and so on.

Because conventional scientists ignore the role of electricity in space and the universe.. they conveniently ignore the impacts it has... Which is why they are always so shocked when they look out into space.

Now.. For the record.

I think we need to get sustainable clean energy.. YESTERDAY!!..

I do not want to pollute any water... nor do I think any of our jaded heart "conservative" members here want their kids drinking mercury, arsenic, etc ...(even if their pre-packaged stance on this topic all but ensures that )

Bottom line is we need to have cleaner renewable sources of power.. we need to do this now..

Not because of an ice age.. or a scalded earth... but because it is COMMON SENSE to do it...

Also for the record..

I do hope the earth knocks a sizable portion of humanity off of it.. not because I want to die.. or want my children to die.. or anyone else or their children to die...

Because I want to see humanity knocked down to size... and I want to see humanity have RESPECT for the space ship we inhabit... which it does not.

Humanity only respects POWER... and I want it to see POWER so vast and of a magnitude that it forever dulls the shine of power in the eyes of humanity... Turning reckless quests for power over nature and other fellow beings a crime akin to genocide.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

uhhh the less solar activity there is the hotter the earth gets. The more solar activity the cooler the earth gets. You have it backwards; heat energy cannot escape from sunspots.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SavageHenry

I'd like us to learn that lesson and be alive to profit from it, but that's just me.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wow, clearly none of you remember the fact that the greenhouse gas effect comes into play when the heat tries to escape the earth again.

What you're referring to here is your typical sunny day.

Yes, sunny days warm places up, you gotta be a child not to realize that one.
But with clear skies, that heat can escape the earth again.

This article tries to make it look like clear skies cause the earth to fry. If that was the case, common sense would tell you the earth should be a black piece of charred ash by now.

Use your heads guys.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Yes, I think they forgot that heat rises. With CO2 in the air, heat has trouble rising.

Also, when it rains, the CO2 gets washed out of the sky, and into our plants and trees. This is not good, its called acid rain.

en.wikipedia.org...

Damn, looks like they forgot everything they ever learned to spread their b.s.

So, when acid rain wipes out our crops, and we no longer have food or oxygen, whats going to happen?

If we leave CO2 in the air, over time the Sun light won't even be able to reach Earth and our plants won't even be able to use photosynthesis.

Also, IT SHOULD NOT BE CALLED "GLOBAL WARMING". I believe a long time ago they made it quite clear that it should be called GLOBAL WEATHER CHANGE.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

I think they forgot that heat rises. With CO2 in the air, heat has trouble rising.

A slight amount of trouble, but then again, very slight.

Also, when it rains, the CO2 gets washed out of the sky, and into our plants and trees. This is not good, its called acid rain.

Ah, here is where we realize the problems inherent with a site that allows users to post opinion as fact. I am assuming you are referring to the reaction H2O+CO2 -> H2CO3. True, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere can react with water to form carbonic acid, but the amount that reacts is very very slight. The carbonic acid reaction is actually difficult to reproduce in a measurable quantity under laboratory conditions without using compressed CO2.

The nitrogen and sulfur compounds, on the other hand, react much more readily with water and provide many thousands of times the amount of acidity inherent to acid rain. Sulfur especially is the main component of acid rain, and is a major component of smog as well. The reason it is a major component of smog is that catalytic converters typically output large amounts of sulfur dioxide (the initial compound in the production of sulfuric acid in acid rain) as they age. That's why an older car with a catalytic converter smells like rotten eggs; sulfur dioxide is what gives rotten eggs their stench. Nitrogen is also a contributor, but difficult to do anything about, seeing as the atmosphere is composed primarily of nitrogen gas, compared to 385 parts per million of CO2.

Also, are you aware that plants require CO2 to survive? CO2 levels are actually one of the regulators of photosynthesis; that is, the more CO2 available, the faster the plants grow. To date, I know of no upper limit to how much CO2 can be present before plant life is harmed in any way.

Damn, looks like they forgot everything they ever learned to spread their b.s.

That is 4th grade science. 35 years ago. Who forgot?

So, when acid rain wipes out our crops, and we no longer have food or oxygen, whats going to happen?

So stop the cause of acid rain: sulfur dioxide. You get rid of the CO2, you kill every plant on the planet.

If we leave CO2 in the air, over time the Sun light won't even be able to reach Earth and our plants won't even be able to use photosynthesis.

Again, if we take CO2 out of the air, the plants will effectively 'suffocate'. Also, CO2 is a colorless gas, completely transparent. So exactly how is it going to block sunlight? I think you have CO2 confused with smog. they are two totally different things.

Also, IT SHOULD NOT BE CALLED "GLOBAL WARMING". I believe a long time ago they made it quite clear that it should be called GLOBAL WEATHER CHANGE.

That's because some of us were around when it was Global Cooling and we have this inconvenient memory. It was changed because 'they' have no earthly idea what's going to happen. I have seen changes in weather for a half-century, and I am told that it *gasp* was changing for hundreds of years before that.

Sheesh... do I have to educate everyone on this? Or... was your whole post sarcasm? I hope it was...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Maybe you should have read the the link I provided before you opened your trap.

en.wikipedia.org...

Since the Industrial Revolution, emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides to the atmosphere have increased.[2] Acid rain was first found in Manchester, England. In 1852, Robert Angus Smith found the relationship between acid rain and atmospheric pollution.[3] Though acid rain was discovered in 1852, it wasn't until the late 1960s that scientists began widely observing and studying the phenomenon. Canadian Harold Harvey was among the first to research a "dead" lake. Public awareness of acid rain in the U.S increased in the 1990s after the New York Times promulgated reports from the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest in New Hampshire of the myriad deleterious environmental effects demonstrated to result from it.[4]

Occasional pH readings of well below 2.4 (the acidity of vinegar) have been reported in industrialized areas.[2] Industrial acid rain is a substantial problem in China[5], Eastern Europe, Russia and areas down-wind from them. These areas all burn sulfur-containing coal to generate heat and electricity.[6] The problem of acid rain not only has increased with population and industrial growth, but has become more widespread. The use of tall smokestacks to reduce local pollution has contributed to the spread of acid rain by releasing gases into regional atmospheric circulation. Often deposition occurs a considerable distance downwind of the emissions, with mountainous regions tending to receive the most (simply because of their higher rainfall). An example of this effect is the low pH of rain (compared to the local emissions) which falls in Scandinavia.[7]

Did I say anything about now? Or was I talkin about the future, when the pollution gets worse and worse?

BRAINS PEOPLE.... USE THEM.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Really though, you guys can go ahead and breath your CO2 air and get cancer in your lungs. It's ok. Go ahead and make your kids run around smoggy air.

Go ahead and poison your vegitiaton.

Ruin your perfect skys.

I bet none of you have ever been to Los Angeles or any busy city for that matter. You can drive from the desert to los angeles and actually see the brown/gray haze that haunts the city(s).

Also do you know what happens when you pump contaminents in the air? Anybody? I do, the water in the clouds clings to the contaminents, and it makes rain. This causes water shortages, because it keeps the water from staying the sky. This also effects the air temperature and humidity, and when you mess with pressure with air temp, you know that creates wind's, and hurricanes right? Do you people know anything about the weather??

Yes this effects the weather! Go figure!

Brains...

[edit on 12-7-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
This also effects the air temperature and humidity, and when you mess with pressure with air temp, you know that creates wind's, and hurricanes right? Do you people know anything about the weather??

I was under the impression that warm water causes hurricanes not ambient pressure or air temperature. As a matter of fact they need an area of light winds to form and are sustanied by their remaining over an area of warm water which is why they begin to dissipate upon making landfall. Please read this link regarding hurricane formation, you may find it to be helpful in explaining how this process actually occurs.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I was in the twilight zone, Augustus in a thread outside the SS forum! Strange times friend!

I am no meteorologist, but having lived in a coastal area most of my life I know enough to say your 100% correct. Hurricanes need light winds/no winds (shear) to form. Heavily sheared areas of the ocean stop or severely diminish hurricanes because the upper level winds blow off the tops of clouds. Since higher cloud tops are colder and help increase hurricane intensity, shear decreases hurricane power. If global warming causes more shear, BRING IT ON!

[edit on 12-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE
OK, so it wasn't sarcasm... you really don't know the difference between smog and CO2, do you?

CO2 does not cause cancer. CO2 is clear and tasteless and odorless. CO2 does not contribute to acid rain. None of these are even proposed to be facts by anyone except you.

Smog is a mixture of airborne solids, mainly elemental carbon and carbon compounds with sulfur and other pollutants. It also contains noxious gases such as sulfur dioxide and nitrates. Smog is easy to see, smells bad, and causes acid rain. All of these are established theories and quite probably true, or actual facts.

Carbon dioxide is a naturally occurring chemical in the air. Your breath contains carbon dioxide. It is produced any time there is a reaction of carbon in an oxygen environment. All organic (living) things are built of carbon, so there is always a carbon reaction going on inside them.

Plants use carbon dioxide during photosynthesis to grow, the same way we use oxygen to live and grow. Plants give off oxygen as a byproduct, which we then use. It's a symbiotic relationship; each helps the other.

I assume you are either very young, or have slept through science class (or both?). So let me give you a word of advice, as I do not intend to talk to a deaf ear: learn what is going on before you decide you know the whole story. Otherwise you end up looking like a fool.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join