It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival fishing. Unattended trap.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

While you're acquiring stuff for your BOB, y'might think about a hand line...... just a plastic donut that is recessed so you can spool out line or wrap it in quickly. Much of our shore fishing is done that way here. Casting is done by an overhead twirling toss, like you were tossing a lasso. Takes a little practice, but it's sure portable and the weak link isn't the fishing pole or the reel with one of these....... it's.........us!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I remember helping my dad check his trot line years ago. It's a very efficient way to catch fish (especially large catfish around here), and I like your tripod idea as opposed to the floats we always used.

I guess we all have things we take for granted everyone knows about. I took it for granted, but you did not. That calls for a flag and a star. Great information!

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
So things for our survivalist are on the up and up. we feel a little bit more secure in our areas, we have shelter well sorted, water is excellent and our covert fishing got us a few meals well deserved.

Now we want to add some real tasty bait to our lines without wasting time going in and out of the water, but we dont have a fishing rod and we want to leave our line again unattended.

Heres how we can gather some with minimal effort.

1) We need an old discarded plastic drinks bottle (I found one on the beach so its not going to be a big deal getting hold of one for most of us...). We also need a good length of string (in this demo i am using a pair of old mountain laces) and our knife.

So as you can see this is quick and simple.

Now, cut the bottle around the top where the label ends. Like so.

Now, take the lid off (Hint: Always cut a bottle with the lid firmly on! It makes it miles easier). With the lid removed, jamb the cut off section into the bottle spout first.

Now, cut two small holes through the top sides for us to place our string / wire / para cord, and grab a hand full of gravel or stones (dont use mud as this will obscure your bait) and drop some into the bottle to weigh it down. Add some of your bait, which can be any thing from some small bits of left over fish, some scraps, any thing edible.

The end result should be like this.(no stones in mine as this is a quick and rough demo)

Now, all you have to do is fill it with water and throw it into your river / lake, tie up the string so it is secure and won't wash away, and leave it for a while and come back when you have time to collect your bait.

(small fish and crustaceans make the best fishing bait of all!)

<< 1   >>

join