It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best budget water filter.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
So in light of recent rumblings in the financial sector, and because an intelligent man should always be prepared for what may come, I've decided to start preparing a small survival kit. I am basically living rent-free thanks to the grace of god and my patriarch, and so have managed to save up a bit of cash, perhaps 1.2k, I'm looking for a good entry-level water filter that I can buy for less than $150 or perhaps a bit more, this is what I've been looking at and it seems like a good buy, weight is not as much an issue as the amount of water I will be able to cleanly filter- Miniworks EX seems like a good option due to the cartridge life, am I correct in this assumption?

Any other opinions/input/feedback would be greatly appreciated, perhaps there is another filter company with a superior product for equivalent price? One last question, roughly how many days would this cartridge last if I were drinking perhaps 2 men's share each day, filtering from a fairly clean source?

Peace and light unto all of these, my brethren.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Blast! No responses as yet... well I'm off to bed. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I will say a prayer for all of us, every sentient entity.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Allright so I guess this thread is going to die with no responses, alas. Again anyone viewing it that has ideas please feel free to respond, I suppose this topic has perhaps been covered elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I just saw this post and I'm going to give the same advice to you that I have been giving since the 1980's.

IF you have to depend on a "Water Filter" for your drinking water... Times are going to be pretty TOUGH.

Therefore, a Water Filter Designed for normal occasional backpacking use in Colorado or Utah is NOT going to Cut the Mustard in a Sit-x.

You need to be sure that your unit will remove all CHEMICALS and Viruses.

There is ONLY 1 Unit that will do that. The FIRST NEED water PURIFIER.

Its about 90.00.

Anything less will NOT DO, and it does not matter if you have a unit that will do 10,000 gallons, if you get sick after the 3rd gallon.

www.generalecology.com...

"Structured Matrix Technology".
The ONLY PURIFIER rated by the EPA and NSF for VIRUS REMOVAL.

SEE their TECH DATA SPEC Sheets for actual test results. No other Company will even post theirs.

Anythng else is just a waste of money and possibly risking your life in a sit- x.

Also see their counter top models and the BASE CAMP, which ALL use the same technology.

ANYTHING else and your screwing yourself.

Hands Down, I've fought this battle for YEARS and I've not ever been proven to be incorrect in recommending this unit.

I wish you the best.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Many thanks friend, I will take your advice and purchase said filter, I give you many accolades for responding! If you have any other recommendations for survival gear, please post them, although I realize the burden of research lies upon myself. Again, my thanks, and may you and all your brethren (everyone) be uplifted and nourished.

i am the failed apparition of a man standing
ive been handed my own standards by a planned dirt worthless
no more worth in an mirthless earth surface
all things fail in a prevailing derailment
a prevalent centipede sentiment embellishment
i relish each selfish delving strong fast
at long last the past meets pretentious
dont mention the effervescent descension
I create war like a torrid swordsman
i abhor the mention of a descendant
all things fail in the soft moonlight.
my plight is that of an effigy
i am nothing but a forgotten lost blossom
all men worship at the steeple of the great forsaken
mishapen mishap asterik tragic

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Your welcome.

Store WATER- 55 gallon drums or at least 55 gallons in 5 gallon bottles.

Food- 3 months minimum even canned food and dry bulk items.
Be sure to include your entire Family in determining 3 months worth.

Pet Food- Cant let the Dogs die, cant feed em table scraps.

Fuel- 5 gallon "Blitz" cans, at least 2 full tank fulls for your car.

Generator or Solar - Lights, Air movement, Tools.

Medical Supplies- Over the Counter Pain Killers and Pepto-, bandaids, alcohol, peroxide, antibacterial soaps, BLEACH etc...

Flashlights and Batteries (AA) and Batt Powered Radio... even shortwave.

Good Boots that dont hurt your feet, and a backpack to put mobile gear in.

I could go on and on... this is a start. I dont know where you are in your thinking, or yoour location. I suggest 'searching' the Survival threads for an item that you feel an interest in.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
It depends on where you are going, what you are planning for, how long you plan to be there, every thing.

I would recommend a katadyn filtering system if you plan on being in a fixed location for any amount of time, or a drink safe bottle system with provides 150 gallons of filtered water at 0.2 microns filtration.

The filtration size is vital, as 0.2 microns is able to stop giardia ('beaver fever') to Americans and many other parasites and bacteria / viruses.

Larger than 0.2 and your asking for trouble really and its just not worth the risk to your health.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My water filter arrived yesterday, its an MRS Miniworks EX Water Filter, its pretty good...filters bacteria, chemicals and other crap in pond water. The only thing it doesnt filter is viruses, which is the only downside I've come across, its easy to maintain in the field and its not to costly to buy.

MSR Miniworks EX Water Filter

For other water filters check out these links

www.aktive8.com...

www.rei.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So glad the Katadyn mini was out of stock this week..

New price on the LIFESAVER bottle

www.lifesaversystems.com...

Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
www.actiongear.com...
The survival straw is the lightest and cheapest. But still filters cysts, viruses, heavy metals, and all chemicals. It filters 99.9 percent of anything in your water. Plus you don't have to pack to much with you, you just need a water source. And it's only $27.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Nuff said.

Ohh very Gucci !

stockists ?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't think this thread was going to get anymore action, thanks for the replies everyone. Okay so far I have First Need filter in 1st due to it's ability to filter out viruses, a property I only found also in the MSR Sweetwater purifier. Blitz seems to know his stuff so I think I'll stick with the First need filter, unless anyone else has something better? Thanks again for the feedback guys.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have a friend who has used this Miniworks water filter and swears by it. I am planning to purchase several of them.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Dan Is Correct for a Fixed loction where you KNOW there are no Chemicals or Viruses.

A Katadyne will do about 5000 to even 10000 gallons, to 0.4( ABSOLUTE ) to 0.2 (NOMINAL) microns.

A Katadyne "Combi" will also remove chemicals, but will not remove viruses.

A FIRST NEED Portable will do a minumum of 125 Gallons removing EVERYTNING and can be backwashed or gravity fed after that.

The BASE CAMP will do a minimum of 1000 gallons removing everything, and with replacable cartridges.

The Differance between these units ( Katadyne and First Need ) is simply what they will remove.

A First Need will go to 0.1 microns, removes all chemicals, radionucleotides, and viruses but for a lot less gallons.

Most Bacteria are what we are normally concerned with in a NON sit -X.

They are at least 4 microns across, but have learned recently to turn sideways and fit through a 1 micron filter pore.

A Katadyne will remove all Bacteria, and to a large amount of gallons.

The Question them becoms, how many Viruses or Chemicals are in my water, and how many will it take to make me sick?

I prefet to start out with the best, and replace the cartridges when the water is of an unknown source and chemicals may be an issue.

For viruses, I pretreat with bleach, then I can use an filter that has less performance in the Virus Department, allowing a lot more gallons to be produced.

Its Up to you, and BOTH are Great for what they are designed for.

By the way DAN, I read your post last night about the Fish Punk, and I totally Believe You and I have felt that way too when confronted like that. I understand your reaction and I would have done exactly the same.

I have had those feelings before, and I totally understand what you are going through. I almost U2U' ed you last night to let you know, but I want to finish the thread. I was sirected to it by another Member who sees coincidences in ""OUR"" experiences.

What bothers me is the 'back to sleep feelings' that you or I could not fight. I have had those more times than I can even begin to count, and I wonder the same things that you do.

There is a connection there, and I will try to finish the thread this evening.
I got to about page 10 on ATS.

I followed every emotion you conveyed by Memory and flash back, and your not alone in your experience. You just got in quite a few more Hits... than I ever did. I can remember 3 or 4 before I 'knocked out', with no weapons myself, just hands and feet. I actually broke my elbow one night doing it, and had a real difficult time the next day putting all the pieces back together as to what happened. It still hurts like hell today when I bump it. I did it intentionally to make myself remember what was happening.

VERY FRUSTRATING to FEEL that "OFF SWITCH" that they can use on us.

Stay Frosty.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE
Wow, I didn't think this thread was going to get anymore action, thanks for the replies everyone. Okay so far I have First Need filter in 1st due to it's ability to filter out viruses, a property I only found also in the MSR Sweetwater purifier. Blitz seems to know his stuff so I think I'll stick with the First need filter, unless anyone else has something better? Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Just remember that ANYONE can CLAIM anything...

If there are NOT EPA test Results available, it can turn 'water into gold' and there is no recourse for you to persue a false claim.

The EPA tests put everyone on the same playing field with the same rules.

A rating from the EPA is as good as it gets and its comparable to another rating on another unit from the EPA testing as well.

Also keep in mind that NO OTHER UNIT is rated for VIRUSES, no matter who claims what. IF It cant be documented, its not fact.

One More thing.. 99.9 % is only ONE LOG results.

99.999 % is 3 Log Results.

99.999999999 is 9 LOG results that the First Need Test out to.

Kinda like Buying Gold... do you want 99% pure or 99.999999999 % ?

It really makes a big differance ..... when your drinking it.

I see a lot of tests that test out to 94 % or 98 % on a LARGE portion of the Test Results for other units.....

Simply wont do when you have a choice and are informed with verifiable data.

I personally have about 30 First Needs, and extra cartridges,
3 katadynes, one with charcoal,
Home unit for the countertop made my General Ecology
The Base Camp by General Ecology, and extra cartridges

Portable home made units that will go to 0.2 microns for portable pumping large amounts of water quickly... "500 GPH" and More....

Large Pool filters that will recirculate to 0.1 microns in 4 hours
One time Pass through 30 micron 500 GPH filters and
One time pass through 10 micron 500 GPH units

It really depends on what your planing to do with the water, and how much you need how fast.

Drinking is alwyas the Least amount of water you need in the longest amount of time between "waterings"... meaning there is no need to rush, but quality is extremely important.

All First Need Units will gravity feed as well, when they reach their MAX advertized life, or can be backwashed.

Any drop that Gravity feeds through will be as PURE as the first drop out of the box. It just takes longer, but not all day..either.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Nuff said.

WOW! Damm nice piece of kit - Good videos too.

This also dispenses with the need of carrying a water bottle around.

The Inventor/Director of the company has said that within 18 months he reckons they will have one that also filters sea water to drink - Now that would be what I would call a Water Filter - literally go anywhere.

If it is good enough for the British Army, then its good enough.

[edit on 12/7/08 by Wotan]

[edit on 12/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just paid for mine.

I getting the 6000 filter job. Just what i need for hot long days in the 'Gorms.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Nuff said.

Ohh very Gucci !

stockists ?

I've never seen this unit before today. Thanks for the Link.

I will look up the EPA test results and give them the time they seem to deserve. There is no direct link for this unit.

I see on the Web Site that they claim 7 log.. which is outstanding.

I see No virus rating though ( officially ), and will withhold judgement unitl I can read the EPA results and Log results.

Looks like Good Tech.

I didnt see the weight of the unit...

I'm glad to see they actually went through the EPA testing Requirements.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

It looks like they are pretty new to the game so it might be early days for certain tests to show through. Looking at the videos it looks like the inventor is on a 'mission' so i would expect great things from this company in the near future. I see also that it was 'tested' by FOX NEWS, so maybe they are also aiming for the US market.

I am just waiting to see if they get the approval of the London School of Tropical Medicine.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I've been looking at it for an hour now... I'm Impressed so far... but I have not read the EPA ratings, directly from the EPA. ( just their web site )

I do See the Virus claims now. At 5 Log... requires further clarifiction and log ratings.

1000 gallons US to 1500 gallons US for 400.00 to 460.00 US.

So far I'm still betting on the Base Camp for the same money and 9 log filtration with virus removal... Plus a 30 Year "Still Standing" at # 1 Record.

I'm not knocking it though, its the best challenger I've seen in years.

I'm intersted in the weight as well...

I'll read the EPA reports tomorrow.. I got plans tonight.

This is the First Unit I've see worth a detailed investigation in a long time.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join