It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tactical Segways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
External Link : Tactical Segways

Chinese elite anti-terror police officers are wheeling into action ahead of next month's Beijing Olympics on two-wheeled scooters.

Members of the country's armed police unit practised on the Segway models that have been re-named 'Anti-Terror Assault Vehicles' in the eastern province of Shandong.
scooter

Officials have bought 100 Segways and painted some in military camouflage to patrol airports and sporting venues during the Games.

In one drill, police posing as terrorists held ten badminton audience members hostage, 'shooting dead' four 'hijackers', capturing two and defusing a mock car bomb.

The exercise was to test the province's emergency response and involved 1,500 people.

The Segway was the brainchild of American Dean Kamen, who claimed at its 2001 launch that it would make the car obsolete in congested cities. It has since been the object of some derision, however.

The two-wheeled self-balancing machine - powered by an electric motor - allows users to travel as fast as 12.5mph while standing up.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
They always said Segways would revolutionize the way people walk. But the way people shoot on the move? Cool!

Personally, I would love to see this Chinese Counter-Terrorist unit use unicycles instead.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Saw that in Reuters a couple of days back. Decided it wasn't worth thinking about.

Tactical segways? Now if you put a bulletproof shield on a few, then you've got something!

Segways however, are far from being anything near tactical. Yeah, you move without walking, BUT you're a sitting duck and they stand out. Mobility can also be impaired in certain situations.

I just don't see it as wise.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
At a speed of only thirteen miles per hour it doesn't even seem worth it, especially since its not offering any protection. If anything it just limits mobility when confronted by rough terrain; such as stairs for instance. Although apparently this isn't a new idea according to what turned up on the Google search;

www.ultimateguideforsheriffs.com...

And here's another picture I found;
www.ubergizmo.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If they added demountable riot stun shields to the front it could be used create a formidable 'calvalry' unit for urban rapid-response riot units to silence unruly civilians

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

atleast they are enviromentaly friendly

think about it if they used conventional moterpads with one person riding and the other person being the passenger with the gun, they would be creating polution, or a horse now the horse would fart and create meathan.

since these are battery powerd they are more eco friendly

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
God this is stupid. Your legs are far more stable than a Segway. Like Citizen Smith said, maybe if they found a way to use the Segway to support armor for the guys that could be easily moved around them we'd have something cool. Those shields are really heavy to move. Just staying behind a shielded Segway you could advance by nudging slightly would be pretty awesome. As it is now, "oh no he ran up a flight of stairs what do we do now!?!"

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I think it would be easier to complete a Rubix cube with your ass cheeks while shooting than stay on that f**ker.

I wonder what happens when the bad guys are up a flight of stairs?

new topics

top topics

join