It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

atlantis: pangea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
this is something interesting that just came to my mind. i thought this.

well in the bible the world was created in one large mass... science called it pangea. then the bible says the earth was flooded... later on in the bible theres this small statement about peleg. it says "and in his days the earth was divided...

i thought to myself, well ive heard theories about ancients before the folood being smart, Very smart. so what if...

the story of atlantis was really just a flood story of pangea. Pangea was atlantis and the worldwide flood was the flood that atlantis disappeared in. because after the flood like RIGHT after it the land divided in the days of peleg...

what do you think is atlantis really pangea and the atlantians the ancients?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Howdy J_F

Well a creative idea but....

The scientific theory of Pangea dates to around ~230 million years ago, before man and before mammals. The tectonic movment is very slow a few centimeters a year.

No flood, that idea went out 150 years ago. I often wonder why religious people love this concept so much - their god drowning millions of 3 and 4 year olds.

It is an inventive idea J_F, just not plausible in a science based arena but you could probably sell it as a purely religious idea (belief) were facts are not necessary.

[edit on 10/7/08 by Hanslune]

[edit on 10/7/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

the date that is given to pangea is based on the concept of evolution which i dont belive in b/c of lack of proof...
i belive in catastrophism one of the least common scientific theories..and i believe in a flood not because my religion says there was but because all cultures talk of one and scientific proof.

well anyway thank you for your comment and now you know my reasoning

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Howdy J_F

Some comments

the date that is given to pangea is based on the concept of evolution which i dont belive in b/c of lack of proof...

Hans: Ah no evolution has nothing to do with the geology and other sciences that date Pangea. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, it is best to not accept the reality of evolution based on a belief system than to try and reject it using bogus science. The faith based method is better for that.

i belive in catastrophism one of the least common scientific theories.

Hans: Actually it is becoming more accepted as more information comes in, perhaps not the Catastrophism of Velikovsky but the early has suffered some blow that affected life in general, climate and mankind.

.and i believe in a flood not because my religion says there was but because all cultures talk of one and scientific proof.

Remeber that the Hebrew gentlemen who wrote the Bible only had a very limited scientific knowledge, they were guessing in many areas. Not all cultures have flood myths and most reflect the many regional floods that occurred over history. Nope sorry J_F the scientific proof all points to no life ending world flood. Again on this one its best to go with a faith based rejection than getting into bogus science.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by iesus_freak
well in the bible the world was created in one large mass... science called it pangea.

The Bible says alot of things indeed. The problem is... Atlantis was an island. Not the entire world. Plato is quite clear that you reach it by boat. So the theory of Biblical Pangea-Atlantis is a contradiction. You cant have Atlantis the island nation that conquered half of the Med when the world is one big landmass.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by merka]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

The Bible is best seen as a book of wisdom done up by a committee of scientific illiterates. Its contents vary from keen observations of human characters to fantasy. Man created religions to try and explain the world around him, as a first attempt it wasn't too bad, but it reflects a lot of "making stuff up" to explain why some thing happened or happen. We replaced it with the suprerior scientific method, yet the older method is still around.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
wwell i have 3 things to say

#1 thank you you guys help alot

#2 my theory is that the story of atlantis was not created by plato but it was a revised world flood story. plato was just theorizing on what it was and stuff

#3 i didnt totally base my theory on the bible i didnt make this to get comments on what the bible is but to get comments on my theory

ty please continue posting

[edit on 11-7-2008 by iesus_freak]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hy!

My theory of atlantis is maybe a little different...

Do you know Thot the Atlanter? or Hermes Trismegistos?
In his words Atlantis existed and was killed with a big flood. Atlantis was a big city with many temples and places where people could learn...

Atlantis is myst...
Or maybe not, if you believe in old words.

Nia

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NW111

thats an interesting theory i will investigate hermes:

that is the second person ive heard that held him to good esteem thank you for the info

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by iesus_freak

But but but J_F

i didnt totally base my theory on the bible i didnt make this to get comments on what the bible is but to get comments on my theory

Yes, but when it was pointed out to you that Pangea is ~230 million, you stated you didn't believe that because of your religion, that brought the bible into the discussion line

Your comment

the date that is given to pangea is based on the concept of evolution which i dont belive in b/c of lack of proof

You also stated that Bible concept of world wide flood is a basis of your idea - again bringing in the bible

We didn't just start picking on ya. Here is an idea, reshape your theory without bringing in Biblical aspects.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

oh yeah i see what youre saying im srry for that

but i will say this i would believe in a worldwide flood and not believe in evolution even if i wasnt a christian based on the knoweldge ive recieved

now whether i wouldve had that knoweledge if i wasnt a christian is unknon

i just wanted to make the point clear if i ever NOT become a christian i would still believe there was a wold flood and not believe in evolution and alot of other things

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by iesus_freak
#2 my theory is that the story of atlantis was not created by plato but it was a revised world flood story. plato was just theorizing on what it was and stuff

Then you are not talking about Platos Atlantis at all, so why bring it into the argument?

You're talking about some mythical pangea nation with no links whatsoever to Atlantis. Got nothing against your theory: if one strictly follow the Bible I suppose people on that single landmass is a possibility. But then again slapping "Atlantis" on things is cool. Just look at Stargate: Atlantis, lol.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

plato did not create the story he implied it was a real place whether he had been there or not

the theory is that all lot of his statements were his theory about this revised and abridged flood stories

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've seen the similarities between the two accounts before as well. Both accounts include a God who creates man, becomes angered by man, destroyed land with water, small amount of refugees land in middle east. Many ancient civilizations were fathered by men who's names match the names of Noah's sons. As far as timing, just look into the reliability of carbon dating and other dating methods, that's all I'll say there. Good theory.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: iesus_freak
i just wanted to make the point clear if i ever NOT become a christian i would still believe there was a wold flood and not believe in evolution and alot of other things

Fortunately such things don't require belief, as there is verifiable evidence negating the myth of a world wide flood and proving evolution to be scientific fact.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I doubt that he is still monitoring this thread after nine and a half years.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The basic story of Atlantis:
God creates earth and then man, man eventually angers God, God destroys the continent with water, a few survive on a boat and land in the middle east, they go south toward modern day Egypt and so on, story spreads from Egyptian priests to Greeks in Europe where this story is recorded by Plato.

The basic story of the flood of Genesis:
God creates earth and then man, man eventually angers God, God destroys the Earth with water, a few survive on a boat and land in the middle east, they go south to found the nation that became modern day Egypt and so on, but also in Europe and Asia. This is varied in the table of nations as well as scripture and tradition

Tie it together:
There are a few small differences here. But the kernel is the same. A God is angered and destroys the whole land. One specifies one God, the other more. One specifies one continent and the other just the whole world. If one believes that all continents were connected, as I do, then all the earth would be a single continent or island. Given that Noah’s sons match the names of the founders of many ancient nations and the Genesis account comes first, one could that Noah was an Atlantean, or as we call it Pangean.

new topics

top topics

join