It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check the Label... Twice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Aghhh.

So I made myself a small lunch today. I grilled up some chicken and popped it into a flat bread and made myself a couple of wraps. I like to cover the chicken in some hot sauce and cayenne pepper for a little bit of bite, and a bit of mayo on the wrap. As usual, tasted great and never thought nothing of it.

Then a few hours later my girlfriend asks me to go through the fridge before we head to the grocery store to toss anything outdated and see what we need.

The mayo that I had just used on my lunch was a month past it's best before date, and I realized the parmesan cheese I have been using for the last week on my pasta is even older.

My chest immediately got tight and I felt like my throat was closing over.

Then I realized it wasn't, I'm just an idiot, and that I hope I don't spend the day hugging a toilet.

So far I've managed alright, and I'm hoping my stomach doesn't take a turn.

Moral of the story, check the label... twice!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I'm sure you will be okay Chiss!

Condiments usually stay good for a long time!

...if the cheese was molded I would worry lol!
You might start seeing things later!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Been there done that honey.
I'm sure you'll be fine.
Mayo is more dangerous 3 hours out of the fridge than a month expired I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Not quite as bad as what I did a few days ago. I opened a jug of nearly empty milk and was going to finish it off, when disgusting ruined milk poured into my mouth.

Now that's something that will make you puke.

-Will

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hey Chissler......did you make it?

Your story reminded of the time my neice took a gogurt....if you don't know what those are it is yogurt in a long plastic tube like thing that the kids love. Anyway, she took this gogurt and to show off she poured the entire thing in her mouth at once. Her eyes doubled in size and she almost turned green.

It was over a month past it's date.

She should have checked the label. lol

Rush

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I have a real easy solution for this. I remove the labels from everything as soon as I buy it. That way I not only am not sure what it is I'm eating, but never have to get paranoid as to whether or not something is expired. Pure Genius!
If I see mold on top of something, I thank goodness that I'm gettin' some free penecillin! Yeah!
If I take a whiff and wake up on the floor in a fetal postion a couple minutes later I might think twice about eatin' it and stuff.
Now if I see maggots and stuff in it, I will either throw it away, or make a very high protein content stir fry.
I hate labels.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

I'm with lombozo on this one....as long as the food isn't ambulatory, I'm eatin' it.

A good refrigerator and the products under a good seal....most things will survive beyond their "expiration" date relatively safely. Keep in mind..the manufacturers of food items must "cover their a**"; if they think the food will go bad in 60 days....they're likely to set the public limit at 30 days. Plus, the more of their stuff you simply toss....the more you need to buy.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I have a real easy solution for this. I remove the labels from everything as soon as I buy it. That way I not only am not sure what it is I'm eating, but never have to get paranoid as to whether or not something is expired. Pure Genius!
If I see mold on top of something, I thank goodness that I'm gettin' some free penecillin! Yeah!
If I take a whiff and wake up on the floor in a fetal postion a couple minutes later I might think twice about eatin' it and stuff.
Now if I see maggots and stuff in it, I will either throw it away, or make a very high protein content stir fry.
I hate labels.

OMG!!! I'm sitting here eating dude!! WTF??

There goes my lunch...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Strange thing is for me and I guess it's a mind trick but when I eat food and realise it's past it's use by date it generally begins to taste funny even though it tasted fine before I knew the date. So I guess I'm paranoid because I refuse to eat anything past it's date although I did eat some chilli sauce that was about 4 months past it's date simply because I figured it would be good to keep like ketchup except it had to be consumed within 3 days of opening. Still, it tasted fine until I knew the date lol

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ha....nice one there chissler.

I have a theory...

If you eat really fresh food ALL the time your body has a naturally low immune system when dealing with digestion.
Eating the odd out of date thing and some of the cheaper foods should actually give you a better and more prepared immune system. Not such a shock to the innerds when eyes do the smelling instead of noses.

As MrPenny says...sell-by-dates are set at a minimum I imagine (to cover manufacturers arses) and have a little flexibility. I've had many a good meal from out-of-date food someone wants to "bin". (cheers sis!).

Basically, if it smells OK, eat it. and the hot sauce and pepper probably helped as an "anaesthetic"!......I love "hot".

Your immune system is one of the most important systems in the human body...my sister has only just started recovering hers after a bone marrow transplant a couple of weeks ago. When waiting for the operation she burnt her thumb on the stove. A plaster for you or me but an ambulance for her and with a weakened immune system from chemotherapy, she was fortunate to be OK. She is a tough cookie.

Makes you think!..........if I pampered my body and worshiped it like a temple (yeah, right!), all hell would break loose when I attacked my insides with a bad food item. I also believe microwaved food can be safer 'cos it kills any "bugs".

"Bon appetite mes amis".

new topics

top topics

join