It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrup on Breakfast cereal!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I know it sounds wacky but about a year ago I ran out of my favorite white granulated processed sugar and thought...
What the hell, syrup is sweet, perhaps I can use it as a substitute for sugar.
So I proceeded to give my Wheaties a good healthy squirt of Aunt Jemimah's maple syrup. At the first taste, I knew instinctively I was on to something huge. It was delicious!!!

Oh sure, it would have been easy to have just stuck with maple syrup and leave it at that, but Mrs. Whaaa raised an iconoclast of the first order.
I went on a cereal and syrup buying binge. I would try every combination of syrup and cereal I could imagine. Chereeo's with Blueberry syrup!!!

Capn Crunch with Butterscotch ice creme syrup!! the list goes on and on...

After my investigation into this gastronomic anomaly; I have decided to share it with my brethren and sisteren here at BTS.

This information is totally free and I expect no payment of anykind.
Just the knowledge that I have made mankind a little happier in the World of Different taste treats is plenty.

Hold the phone...

How bout this....jams and jellies on cereal. Whoa!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I saw your thread title, and popped in to recommend putting it on Wheaties.
But I see that was your first choice!

Been doing it for many years, it's a perfect match!

[edit on 10-7-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I guess it's true what they say space, "Great minds think alike"

Except for my friend Steven, he mixes Hot, Hot, Mexican Jalapeño salsa with oatmeal. He says it's good.

Perhaps someday after a couple tequila shooters, I might try it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The blueberry and cheerios combo sounds really good too.

Rice krispies tends to lend itself to other flavorings too. Hershey's syrup works great!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hmmm, the title caught my eye.

In my youth, I used to looooove Special K and brown sugar, the perfect foild for "healthy" cereal.
I also used to love vanilla ice cream with dark corn syrup.

I still love brown sugar, put it on my oatmeal.
But, my new favorite is AGAVE SYRUP, a low glycemic sweetener
Organic Raw Blue Agave

edit, for clarity

[edit on 11-7-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Welcome DTOM to the syrup aficionados discussion thread!!
As you can see there aren't many of us but we are resolute and firm
in our appreciation of that syrupy nectar.

On the morrow I plan on riding my bike down to my local healthy food mkt. and see if they have any of that Raw Blue Agave. The name alone hooked me pronto. If I have to order it; rest assured that I will do so as soon as finances permit. It seems that the Nectar my Honda craves takes precedent at this particular time.

I have some kinky syrup stories but alas, this is a family site so they will have to wait.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think you will love it, and if you can afford to buy 6 on amazon, there is no shipping.
The health food stores around here tend to be a bit pricey per bottle, so you may want to splurge when you get hooked on the new syrup

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Yup. I've been using all natural syrup as a replacement for sugar on my cereal for quite a few years. I don't care for it on all cereals but my fav is Total and maple syrup.

Long as we are on the topic of syrup, anybody else spread peanut butter and maple syrup on their waffles? The peanut butter tastes amazing in combination with the syrup.

I'll even go one more. Next time you make waffles, try brushing on a lil bit of sour cream (not a lot, about the same as you would use if it were butter). It's not at all gross like it sounds, the flavor combination it makes with maple syrup is surprisingly good. I've never yet seen someone who was willing to give it a try turn out to be disappointed. Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just an update that I'm sure all of you BTSers have been waiting for.

For the time being I have completely given up cereal of all types.
In fact no carbs what so ever.

I'm going to give the Atkins diet a try as my omentum is beginning to poke out a little more than it should and current thought is that a poking omentum signifies a coming "Heart attack"
Well, who in his right mind would want a heart attack?
So now I eat nothing but meat, cheese, nuts trying to loose about 25lbs.
Wish me luck, strength and pluck as you all know I like my tasty sweeties, cakes, pies, pasta, rice and beans,

Damn, I'm all depressed now just thinking of all the things I love to eat, but can't.

Please pray for me in my time of need.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Best Wishes to you!
I tried syrup on cereal about a month ago. (out of necessity) and found it VERY GOOD!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Oh yeah! Strawberry syrup on cherrios is the bomb! Great topic! More people should try the cherrios/syrup combo!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Have you people no shame or compassion?

While I'm here eating a piece of gooda, craving some oatmeal with choclate syrup, salivating like a St. Bernard, cursing the day Dr. Atkins
was born.

But I shall be resolute in my quest for slimness and trimness.

No carbs until I'm -25lb. I don't do metric. yet....

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Whaaa, I just love you!! You crack me up.

Never tried any of that stuff on my cereal, but one thing I do love is evaporated milk on my cereal. I almost never do it because I'm sure it's sinful fattening, I also like it on vanilla ice cream when the milk freezes little evaporated milk crystals all over my ice cream. Yum!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And you know I love you, Jen!

but just the mention of evaporated milk, milk crystals, ice cream is almost more than I can bare.

Ole Doc Atkins specifically said, no dairy except for unflavored yogurt. I spiced my uf yogurt up with mixed nuts. Not bad!!

Im open for any hints on how to make this Atkins deal work.

Perhaps I'll start another thread with the appropriate title.

top topics

join