It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush readies pen; Relishes signing wiretap bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Bush readies pen; Relishes signing wiretap bill

news.yahoo.com

President Bush is poised to sign a bill that overhauls the bitterly disputed rules on secret government eavesdropping and grants immunity to telecommunications companies that helped the U.S. spy on Americans in suspected terrorism cases.

The bill was a victory for Bush. Its approval came only after a lengthy and heated debate that pitted privacy and civil liberties concerns against the desire to prevent terrorist attacks. It ended almost a year of wrangling in the Democratic-led Congress over surveillance rules and the president's warrantless wiretapping program initiated after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Here we have it. Wiretapping is to go down in history in the US as the norm. Watch what you tell your friend on the phone if you don't want to be labeled by bush as an "enemy combatant".

This is really sad that there is nobody to fight for our right to free speech. Our Constitution. The American people have lost, and are too stupid and high on crack to even care.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This was on the news tonight And all i could do was shake my head
Next thing will be you wont beable to say any thing on here bad about the government

The world is not moving forward We are just going backwards

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
This was on the news tonight And all i could do was shake my head
Next thing will be you wont beable to say any thing on here bad about the government

The world is not moving forward We are just going backwards

LOL you havent seen the bill thats going to censor the internet yet did you?
It IS the next thing lol.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Nope i guess i missed that one But hey Should i be shocked Nope This is the path the world is going down I guess i will be going to jail Because i think the Government sucks

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So......doesn't this also mean people can wiretap bush? Without a warrant suspecting hes a terrorist?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Let it forever be known that, despite the supposed partisanship "battle" over this, both parties supported the bill. This includes the support of one, Barrack Hussein Obama. All the Obama supporters out there, look in the mirror because you are embracing that which you profess to hate. A Democrat controlled House and Senate overwhelmingly passed what was supposedly a GOP-centric bill which we heard about for a year in the context that it was all about the neo-cons and the dems were all about preserving our freedoms which were threatened by this bill.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PARTIES!

The only difference remaining in Washington can be found in a small handfull of libertarians and true conservatives who are summarrily and quickly being shuffled out of the government by the two headed, single necked political system.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
And for all those Kennedy lovers out there...that fat drunk pig Ted Kennedy got his lazy sick butt out of bed just to go onto the house floor to put his signature on it as well.This is appalling...our civil liberties flying out the window quicker than you can say " habeas corpus"....oh wait that one is gone too.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

If this is really living
Why am I so unforgiving
Half the world is down the toilet
Half on its way
Well if I had a dollar for
Everytime he hollers
Trust us with your hearts and minds
Or Ill make you pay
Ask me why your feeling screwed
And Ill give you an answer
Theres a Colin, Dick and Bush
Justa hammerin away
Ask me why you feel decived
And stripped of all your liberties
It doesnt take a genius

To explain that today

Rocket Science people its not as hard as it seems.. Use your damn brains..

We are being screwed and nobody cares.....

[edit on 7/10/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The measures in place that were supposed to represent the peoples voice and deliver it to the decisions being made has failed.

I don't think your founding fathers had thought about the possibility of Congress and the Senate being bought out.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
'They hate our freedoms'. Ya, getting slimmer by the day. Once they push thru immunity for the telecoms it will be a done deal. Home of the brave, land of the free.
Free to spy on every phone call you make.
Free to take your shoes off and short check you for skids at the airport.

Dems are no better. Barack has seriously disappointed me in the last few days. Rethinking exit strategy now. Iran should be brought down. We need a new wig charter. That won't happen because this country is totally and absolutely under the thumb of the military industrial regime.

I don't know what it will take for real change. Obama is selling out in front of our eyes.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A single elitist class of citizen has populated every branch of government. The wellspring of their strength is corporate and financial wealth. Who we, the 'common' people, are is irrelevant to them.

We are the breeding ground of terrorism and dissent in their ideology. Their actions are increasingly transparent. Contain and control, extract wealth and resources. Media is their drug, used to mollify our dissatisfaction and keep us collectively worshiping consumerism and voyeuristic trivialities.

They have succeeded in convincing the lion's share of the people that there is some kind of choice present in this so-called, Representative Constitutional Democracy, when in fact, their has been a coup de eta, and the power hungry wealth whores are running the show.

Please advise everyone you know that there is only ONE party. Too many people can't remember that choice is supposed to be real and effective, not a political game or contrivance.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Watch what you tell your friend on the phone if you don't want to be labeled by bush as an "enemy combatant".

Why is everything being blamed on Bush?? This bill was passed by a democrat controlled Congress. Some people are filled with such hatred for Bush that don't even seem to realize that the democrats they voted in that swore they would put a stop to this kind of thing are doing nothing of the sort.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Watch what you tell your friend on the phone if you don't want to be labeled by bush as an "enemy combatant".

Why is everything being blamed on Bush?? This bill was passed by a democrat controlled Congress. Some people are filled with such hatred for Bush that don't even seem to realize that the democrats they voted in that swore they would put a stop to this kind of thing are doing nothing of the sort.

Our Chief Executive, George Bush, is the leader of the Executive Administration of the government. That's why he is to blame.

He swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution. He hasn't.

The fact that congress was complicit in allowing this to happen doesn't lessen Mr. Bush's responsibility - you want the job? You take the blame. ... well, not for him or his cronies to be sure... they are immune from judgment, as well as above and beyond the law.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Our Chief Executive, George Bush, is the leader of the Executive Administration of the government. That's why he is to blame.

He swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution. He hasn't.

Every member of Congress and every member of the Senate also swear an oath to protect and defend the same Constitution. In for a penny, in for a pound. If you believe that the president is destroying the Constitution with this bill, then you also MUST believe that every member of our House & Seante who cast a "yea" vote is equally guilty and, unless they are "brought to justice" are also apparently "above the law." Based on the conditions of judgement Bush's detractors have claimed over the past 8 years, BOTH parties have now become fascists and both parties have just destroyed the Constitution they swore to uphold. As I said, let it forever be said by anyone who has called GWB a fascist or claimed he is a criminal who has stripped our rights that the Democrats in our government stood alongside him and are equally guilty of the same crap they've accused him of. EXACTLY THE SAME CRAP.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

If you believe that the president is destroying the Constitution with this bill, then you also MUST believe that every member of our House & Seante who cast a "yea" vote is equally guilty and, unless they are "brought to justice" are also apparently "above the law." Based on the conditions of judgement Bush's detractors have claimed over the past 8 years, BOTH parties have now become fascists and both parties have just destroyed the Constitution they swore to uphold. As I said, let it forever be said by anyone who has called GWB a fascist or claimed he is a criminal who has stripped our rights that the Democrats in our government stood alongside him and are equally guilty of the same crap they've accused him of. EXACTLY THE SAME CRAP.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I simply point out that the man who wears the "Decider's" hat gets to be first in line. That is what the leadership position is all about. And that's why picking an honorable and courageous President is so vital to our country. Sadly, we haven't seen many of those, and I wouldn't be too surprised if future history discovers the only true honorable and courageous presidents the fledgling United States of America ever had - got their purely by accident.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
ACLU Sues Over Unconstitutional Dragnet Wiretapping Law (7/10/2008)

Group Also Asks Secret Intelligence Court Not To Exclude Public From Any Proceedings On New Law's Constitutionality
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT
(212) 549-2666; media@aclu.org

NEW YORK - The American Civil Liberties Union filed a landmark lawsuit today to stop the government from conducting surveillance under a new wiretapping law that gives the Bush administration virtually unchecked power to intercept Americans' international e-mails and telephone calls. The case was filed on behalf of a broad coalition of attorneys and human rights, labor, legal and media organizations whose ability to perform their work - which relies on confidential communications - will be greatly compromised by the new law. The FISA Amendments Act of 2008, passed by Congress on Wednesday and signed by President Bush today, not only legalizes the secret warrantless surveillance program the president approved in late 2001, it gives the government new spying powers, including the power to conduct dragnet surveillance of Americans' international communications. "Spying on Americans without warrants or judicial approval is an abuse of government power - and that's exactly what this law allows. The ACLU will not sit by and let this evisceration of the Fourth Amendment go unchallenged," said ACLU Executive Director Anthony D. Romero. "Electronic surveillance must be conducted in a constitutional manner that affords the greatest possible protection for individual privacy and free speech rights. The new wiretapping law fails to provide fundamental safeguards that the Constitution unambiguously requires." In today's legal challenge, the ACLU argues that the new spying law violates Americans' rights to free speech and privacy under the First and Fourth Amendments to the Constitution. The new law permits the government to conduct intrusive surveillance without ever telling a court who it intends to spy on, what phone lines and email addresses it intends to monitor, where its surveillance targets are located, why it's conducting the surveillance or whether it suspects any party to the communication of wrongdoing. Plaintiffs in today's case are: * The Nation and its contributing journalists Naomi Klein and Chris Hedges * Amnesty International USA, Global Rights, Global Fund for Women, Human Rights Watch, PEN American Center, Service Employees International Union, Washington Office on Latin America, and the International Criminal Defence Attorneys Association * Defense attorneys Dan Arshack, David Nevin, Scott McKay and Sylvia Royce

www.aclu.org...
abajournal.com...

Please take the time to sign the petition.
secure.aclu.org...
Remember they may be coming for you next..

[edit on 10-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

[edit on 10-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I started a thread here. My comments: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
the only reason this dosent bother me is because ive been making international calls to the mid east for years now. no doubt my phone has been tapped for some time now. ive dialed the wrong numbers a few times and get quite a few supprised and intresting responces to these calls...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
well.. since the OK bombing.. I've pretty much been in the mind set of .."well..might as well think the worst is here." Sine that time, none of this crap really surprises me. Why? I've come to expect it from them because as it is written, "he knew what is in man.." There's is no more moral compass in the world any more; nothing is scared, even in my own home.

Pfft~! the movie Enemy of the State is a wake up call and I still think/believe that their's someone or a group that are trying to send us a message of a warning of what is to come.

What is intresting is...I still don't have an answer...except for....

Harmless as a dove, wise a serpent...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join