It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And he said " let California leave the union ".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
That was my friends suggestion after I pointed out that Mccain would probably win the
November election some how... And this got me thinking would a very right wing conservative gun toting christian, in rural Georgia (for example) shed a single tear?

Lets me be straight for a few here moments. I'm 28 and I did not vote for Bush in 2000 and 2004. First off something bothered me about his apparent mental depth and his family history ( his father was not my favorite). Substantively I really did not care for his policy or a hard right agenda

1. Anti choice
2. Pro christian agenda
3. Inflating defense by cutting social programs and public works.
4. Lowering taxes for the rich - possibly raising mine to balance
5. Possible reversals of civil rights
6. Elimination of the minimum wage
7. And I even suspected some sort of war or costly police action
8. YOU GET MY DRIFT

Anyhow the 2000 elections came and as we all know were sort of f#@%%^ up!
Bad experience for me, I would have been fine with "losing" but there was all kinds of stuff - ballots and ancient blind jewish people voting for Pat Buchanon... I really expected more from the country and my political "foes" - Like lets figure out who really won the election because that is the true patriotic thing to do. Not so much

Moving on with a quick light over view

9/11
pre 9/11 intel ignored
"ENERGY CRISIS OF CALIFORNIA"

Afghanistan
Iraq
National debt rising(9.5 trillion)
Katrina (mis management- doing a hell of a job Brownie)
Gauntanamo Bay
Abu Gurab
Warrentless wire tapping
Outing an active CIA agent ( used to be called treason ?)
Mortgage Crisis ( started in 2001 - read some more)
Fascist style us- verses them propaganda
Tax breaks for the Billionaires-- again
Gas prices from $1.61 jan 2000-- set see here-- $4.76
Maybe war with IRAN or if you believe Ron PAUL nuclear war ENRON
-- ( "THE CALIFORNIA ENERGY CRISIS"!)

These are occurrences that really bug me as an AMERICAN... You have your beliefs...

Some ATSers post and talk like this current political outlook and mentality is correct, beneficial and good for our country. " VOTE FOR GOOD OLD JOHN MCCAIN"! --
"LIBERALS ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY"---

Events that I have listed occur and have occurred in a right wing political paradise. For six years the right had extreme political influence being the majority in power.

These event / achievements are the fruits of right wing dominance quite literally. These events are not random because they required--
reaction
thought,
critical thinking
judgment
morality
right and wrong orientation
and decision making.

And much of 2000-2006 was INFORMED and INFLUENCED by a right of center dominated US political body/s ------ mainly the executive branch I might ad...

So my question to the right wingers is.....

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU THINK THAT MORE RIGHT WING IDEOLOGY IS GOING TO
PRODUCE DIFFERENT OR MORE POSITIVE RESULTS FOR THE U.S.A?

Trying the same thing over in the same spirit and expecting different results is the EASTERN definition of CRAZY...

RIGHT WINGERS YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD LONG RUN NOW--

sadly it is not working for me one bit - now after nov I might have to pay more taxes for more stuff that I think is crazy, criminal, fascist and sociopathic???

back to my friends suggestion...

Theoretically why not let my ULTRA LIBERAL GAY MARRIAGE MEXICAN TERRORIST LOVING UNPATRIOTIC state of California become its own country???

Would you really care???
Seriously that would take a huge amount of the liberal electoral vote out of the picture.

JUST THINK_____

A republican president for life, creationism in schools, guns for all, you could send all the illegals and gays to cuba or what ever, no minimum wage, the best health care, ten million man army, the best surveillance of every phone every corner, national religion, NO TAXES

We would be happy here - you can be free of our degradation

WIN/WIN SITUATION !

[edit on 10-7-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Ya maybe the tone is a bit --- angry --- sorry...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don' get the title.
but, I agree with your post. Actually that's what's been bugging me about politics since 2000. You have hardcore conservative lunatics just ranting how America is slowly being destroyed by liberals that it's just beyond me how they completely ignore the last 7 years of full Republican control of Washington.

What really pisses me off as a Californian is that we had that lovely little recall of Gray Davis back in 2003 because we were going down the gutter, when in actuality, my old high school could afford absolutely everything and class sizes were manageable. Now I look back at my senior year *2006* and notice that were were just barely able to maintain after school activities. And don't get me started on the current state of public education, it's just horrible. How could a school stuck in the middle of a place where houses don't sell below $750,000 pretty much goes down the gutter? I just don't get it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24
I don' get the title.
but, I agree with your post. Actually that's what's been bugging me about politics since 2000. You have hardcore conservative lunatics just ranting how America is slowly being destroyed by liberals that it's just beyond me how they completely ignore the last 7 years of full Republican control of Washington.

What really pisses me off as a Californian is that we had that lovely little recall of Gray Davis back in 2003 because we were going down the gutter, when in actuality, my old high school could afford absolutely everything and class sizes were manageable. Now I look back at my senior year *2006* and notice that were were just barely able to maintain after school activities. And don't get me started on the current state of public education, it's just horrible. How could a school stuck in the middle of a place where houses don't sell below $750,000 pretty much goes down the gutter? I just don't get it.

Got to disagree with Republican control these people are not republicans thier neocons and the con part doesnot stand for conservitive it just stands for con as in conman.
As far as I'm concerned all the states should leave the union.The union no longer pays heed to the constitution and in doing such put themselves above the rule of law.Makes no difference if they are liberal or considered conservitive.Obama voted to take away your forth amendment rights just like McConnel or Pelosi or Bush or or or

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

Yeah, but those 'hardcore conservative lunatics', as you put it, are not at all happy with the Republican party, either. Most self-described conservatives have been very disappointed in the fact that the Republican controlled government has not come close to living up to the promises made in 1994. But unlike the Democratic party, which they believe is beyond redemption, conservatives still believe that the Republican party can be salvaged.

The country has not been run by true conservatives for quite a long time. Instead, the Republican party has been overrun with so-called neoconservatives who are socially conservative, liberal-interventionist on foreign policy, and all over the political spectrum fiscally. The result has been a gigantic mess, but the ideology does not reflect true conservative thought.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hey, if we have to put up with four more years of the GOP trying to take over the world, I think maybe we ought to secede. Then again I think SoCal ought to Secede from NorCal too, citing irreconcilable cultural differences

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I wonder where your friend plans on getting his food from if California leaves the Union.

California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the United States for more than 50 consecutive years.

More than half the nation's fruit, nuts, and vegetables come from here.
California is the nation's number one dairy state.
California's leading commodity is milk and cream. Grapes are second.
California's leading export crop is almonds.
Nationally, products exclusively grown (99% or more) in California include almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, olives, persimmons, pistachios, prunes, raisins, clovers, and walnuts.
From 70 to 80% of all ripe olives are grown in California.
California is the nation's leading producer of strawberries, averaging 1.4 billion pounds of strawberries or 83% of the country's total fresh and frozen strawberry production. Approximately 12% of the crop is exported to Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Japan primarily. The value of the California strawberry crop is approximately $700 million with related employment of more than 48,000 people.
California produces 25% of the nation's onions and 43% of the nation's green onions.

www.beachcalifornia.com...

I wonder what the US Economy would look like without California....

hmmm. not good.

Gross domestic product (GDP)

California is responsible for 13% of the United States' gross domestic product (GDP). The state's GDP is at about $1.7 trillion (as of 2006).
The GDP increased at an annual rate of 3.1% in the first quarter of 2005.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

It looks to me that the United States needs California way more than California needs the USA.
DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Thats to bad for us... I bet the other 49 would become envious of the "country" we would become. Free health care, much lower prison inmate count( having decriminalized marijuana), very high minimum wage, the poor would still be spending all their money each month - stimulated economy-- alas
The other 49 would probably conquer us for resources anyways..

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
that would be great. their would be more wind and solar energy. the war in iraq would no longer be our problem. And anyways california is going to be a separate island in geolgical time.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I don't know. There are more Californians in the Military than any other state. So I imagine that they could probably defend themselves fairly well. Sadly, because of the sheer number of Californians in the military, over 500 Californians have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The death of a Navy hospitalman in a rocket attack Wednesday brings the number of Californians killed since the wars began in Afghanistan and Iraq to 500.

www.latimes.com...

In regard to the 'envy' that Calfornians would endure, it would not be much different the envy behind all the stereotypes about California.

DocMoreau

top topics

join