It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Vet Has Hired "Thugs"; Shakes down pet owners...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

FYO the fibers in the throat probably would not show up on an XR. Also you have no way of knowing when the cat swallowed the fibers, ie. before you went to the clinic, while he was there or later sometime. Sick cats eat strange things.

Also, coccidia could have been a coincidental finding and not actually the sole cause of the problem.

Remember to get a feleuk test done if they haven't already. Hope the cat is doing well!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

I agree. But the only reason my vet even knew to look was because of the x-rays.

But this is all secondary i my eyes, as they didn't even check for the other illness, even though he had diarrhea. But don't worry, I listen to reason. Thats why I'm waiting to hear everything from the vet first before acting...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Man!.... I'd like to make a point I'm not sure anyone has made here. Ya'll have some MESSED UP vets out west! If a vet tried to pull that crap in Louisiana, he'd be.......in a bad way, quick. We take our animals seriously here. Sorry to hear that you went through this. I'd follow that bastard around and put a 2x4 up his ass.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wow, considering the state of your cat when you brought it to them neglecting to perform a fecal matter test seems deliberate borderline criminal to me. Sorry for the one line reply and sorry for the troubles you've been put through.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

tell the cops about it, especially if they got that marine guy to come out, they will get busted for this #.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This outrages me because I'm going to school to be a Vet Assistant( and soon after become a Vet Tech). That DMV's actions are just unacceptable. Further more it seems like the clinic is run in a lousy manor. You would think that the clinic wants to maintain a good reputation, with taking a payment plan and such not trying to keep your cat. Also, you may want to take this to court! They DVM may have their license revoked if ruled out in your favor(and I hope so).

It just sounds a bit crazy with no result from a fecal or Snap(Elisa) test-if those were even done!

Bad part about this is the debt you'll be in
all due to possible negligence causing you to have to find a second opinion( and in payment) to find out what the problem is.

What a beautiful cat and hope the health problem is solved.

WOW, what a way to cause a bad reputation on professionals, not all Clinics and Veterinary staff are like this.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by dreamingawake]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
reply to post by Sonya610

I have the final bill, and my vet called over for ALL the test results. They did not do the fecal test. My vet is caught between a rock and a hard place, but I don't know how expensive putting together the evidence will cost.

I mean, I need experts and notarized documents, no?

All in all, this is going to cost me three months pay, money I still have to work for...

Your vet should not be caught between anything. I don't know if a code of ethics exists amongst vets, but can't your vet see what happened here? A small claims case won't cost you much, but if you hire an attorney, then you can be looking at $$$, unless your are able to have your vet deposed or voluntarily take the stand (which I hope he would).

Of course, the way I see it, you have nothing to lose. You (and your cat) were held hostage and robbed in the middle of the night. You have a run-away clinic who preys on the emotional aspect of a midnight visit with a suffering pet simply to extort money out of you and then threaten to kill your pet if you don't pay. This is not normal business. No honest vet clinic would threaten to kill a pet for non-payment.

Did you get the names of the folks that worked there...espcially the goon?

This is beyond the pale. Suing is the least I would want to have done. My goal would be to have that place shut down and each of those losers out of a job.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear about this situation
I hope the cat is in great health and back to normal now.

I find, even with our regular vet, that most vet practices (especially emerg clinics) are just evil when it comes to the almighty dollar. We have used our vet for some time now and I felt, had a rapport going. We've always had the money up front, and have never written a bad cheque to them or anything of the sort. But their true colours shone through a few weeks back when we took our dog in to get neutered. They had quoted us $210 for the procedure as long as everything went smoothly. What they failed to mention was all the 'extras'. Now the extras are optional and you don't have to purchase them...but as a HUGE pet lover, It was hard to say no to things like "pain meds", "heart monitoring during procedure", "IV saline for hydration" etc etc etc. Especially since this particular dog was our pug...that already has such problems staying hydrated and breathing.

We also had to update his vaccinations, and do heartworm testing...so I figured somewhere in the area of $300. NOPE...the final bill came to $586!!!! All of the extras, and then the vet realized Pudgy had an ear infection, did a swab and smear, and hooked us up with an $80 prescription. I didn't have the money as I wasn't expecting it...and the secretary got very snotty with me. She didn't directly make a comment about not giving us back our dog but slyly said "well...you can't take the dog until you have the money". I left in tears. We don't have a lot of money, and budget tightly for the months when our pets need care. This totally broke the bank for a few weeks, but I would do anything for my pets...so not paying wasn't an option. I tried to work out a payment plan and they weren't having it.

They know they have you by the you know whats...because no responsible pet owner is NOT going to keep their pets in good health, and they know they can do whatever they want and almost emotionally abuse you into accepting everything they charge for.

We are in the process of finding a new veterinarian, but I'm almost afraid to get stuck with someone even worse...better the evil you know than the one you don't. I'm glad your regular vet is a much better person and obviously a much better vet than the emerg clinic you took your cat to

Michelle

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
We haven’t even touched on the dangers of physical abuse in vets offices. My niece has worked at several hospitals and there have been a few very scary stories. If people have difficult pets all sorts of things can go on behind the scenes. I personally prefer a vets office that has all female support staff, as I worry a lot less about a 90 lb female abusing one of my animals or body slamming it during a temper tantrum (and yes that happens!).

There are so many nightmarish vet stories; if one can find a GOOD vet they are worth gold. The emergency clinic near me is quite good, all female staff, the receptionist began crying when I lost one of my dogs there a few months back. I raced to the clinic on an empty gas tank and when I left they told me to call them if i ran out of gas before finding a station, and they would come get me (not the best neighborhood)

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
File a formal complaint(fill out the paper work) and do it asap to the california vet board. I would also write a letter to the editor in the santa barbara paper using professional language and not using names except for he name of the place. Other citizens have a right to know about this behavior.
speaknoevil07

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
All of you are so correct, and I again appreciate the help the membership has provided to me.

ATS, you Rock!

On to another point, I get the cat back today, and I'm meeting with the BBB next wednesday, (the 16th) to explain my case. As for the rest, I'm using the resources you all gave me to push this!

Now if only I could get my cat back....

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
Now if only I could get my cat back....

Sheesh...is there any DOUBT they will release your cat? Are they asking for lots of money?

If that is a theortetical question..I say bring kitty home. Let him sleep in his favorite place, let him SLEEP without the stress of barking dogs or whatever other scared animals are making noise. Let him relax for the first time in 5 days, and then start tempting him with various foods. If he needs fluids buy an $18 setup from the vet.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

No, my vet has him now. But as I mentioned before, she has Hundreds of animals escaping the fire. She's doing the best she can....

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
My dogs let got broken about 10:30 p at nite. I took my dog to a 24hour clinic. They took my dog gave her no pain medicine, set the leg and cast it. Told me to take her to my vet in a week. I didnt wait I took her the next day. got pain medicine from my vet and was sent home. Told to come back in so many weeks for an xray to see when the cast could come off. went back got the xray and found out that the 24hour clinic didnt set her leg right so when the bone started growing it cauliflowered out never connecting to the other end. I ended up spending over $5000.00 because the clinic didnt set it right and my vet didnt check to see if it was right. She had to go thru 2 surgeries and she was 6mths old.

I never took her back to a 24hour clinic. Thank god i found a vet who stayed open til really late. And a great Vet.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Exactly. So go to the vets, and no matter what they say keep repeating "yes and I want my cat". They have hundreds of animals; they cannot deal with all of them. Bring your cat home. He wants to come home and sleep. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I know. I'm just worried that he is going to get sick, and over the weekend, I have no choice but the 24 hour clinic again.

And not to sound wimpy, I REALLY miss him.

I hope he knows it was for his own good.

And to the other poster who thinks I would sue for personal gain? OF COURSE NOT!

My only reason to sue for any money at all would be to get my own back. Anything else would be to get their license yanked. Any extra money would be donated DIRECTLY. let this post stand as my oath for that.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Jason you need to become a bit realistic. The hospital is FULL, they are overflowing. They probably do not have anyone there at night watching those animals. I realize it is comfy to think leaving him there is safer but realistically it truly may not be.

Cats often are under constant stress at an animal hospital that is overflowing. Lots of barking and frantic noises and it is often not a nice place. Tomorrow is saturday, the hospital will be open in the morning, if something drastic happens tonight you can bring him in tomorrow. Otherwise chances are he is ALONE all night and if something drastic happens he is on his own.

Its okay. Really.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So I just wanted to check in and report that I got my cat back from my vet. The bill was 250 less than what the emergency vet had charged, and he was there for three nights.

He's a little glassy eyed, but purring like a machine, and happy to be home, I can tell.

I will post some pics in a few days when everything slows down.
Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice!

I will continue to post in this thread over the next few weeks as I go through with my action against the first vet.

Thanks again, Jason

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
That's great news, I've been reading your thread and it's great to see you finally got him back. I know how it is to deal with the local Dr. Death. I have a local vet that takes in all the pets from owners that are broke (like I used to be) and has a, well, probably 65% mortality rate.

Good luck with nailing those sorry (expletive deleted )'s that play on peoples' emotions and good will.

Godspeed and good karma.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Good, I'm glad you have him back, I was in anticipation yesterday to hear from you again.

I was hoping not to hear 'Well, my cat is dead now' I know the chances were slim, but still, I felt bad for the little guy.
I love all of my 5 cats, 1 boy, 4 girls, they really enrich my life and they greet me at the door after a hard day at work.
I clean the litter box(s) every morning, I see the appreciation in their eyes and they line up to get a fresh dump or a big pee in, I water and food them before I go as well, it doesn't feel like a chore, it's for them.
I get their hairs in my eyes (their little tokens to remember them with). They are amongst the best of my friends.

My fuzzy buddies.

So I have a good idea of your feelings in all of this, I hope you can recoup some of your financial wastage.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join