It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Vet Has Hired "Thugs"; Shakes down pet owners...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What an excellent cat! A fine feline indeed.

As a lover of cats and the husband of a vet receptionist I'm absolutely outraged.

Something to consider if you attempt to recoup your losses through legal action, or seek justice through media action:

The fact you paid cash means they very likely will destroy those papers you filled out the second they feel threatened. No record you were ever even there, no paper trail, nothing. You have no financial trail to prove you paid them anything, and the one piece of proof you might have is the paperwork you filled out that night. If you lean on them I'll bet $2 they'll destroy it. Shred, burn, gone. No proof you were ever even there, no legal action, and anything you attempt to do through the media immediately becomes slander/libel. I hate to tell you this, but on purely legal terms they've probably got you over the proverbial barrel.

If I were you I'd use the Internet, sites like Yelp.com, etc. to "review" the vet. Tell your story, name names, but try to keep your own identity hidden. I'm sorry to say you will likely never find personal justice in this situation, but you can dirty 'em up a little.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_locke78
thats terrible, poor little cat,that was a cute cat, i would be ready to go nuts if that happened to me, they bring an ex-marine to get money, what low lifes, hope they go out of buiness, hope ur cat is healthy and happy.

Off topic:
I hope you find the answers you've been looking for, and that you will find happiness and peace that you have not had much of in your life, especially all the father business, stealing your kidney, pushing you through a window.

Wait.... Are you the real john locke? lol

Anyway why do you think they need to take him back to the island?

On topic.

Please keep us updated, as a fellow cat lover, I would love to see pictures of him all healthy and happy, let's hope so.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I feel for you, as anything regarding a pet hurts.

However I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but all of your "evidence" is hearsay, and as such is not going to help your case. Everyone in the thread making wild assumptions about the legal system are patently wrong. You paid in cash, so there is no record of transaction, no possibility of stop-payment, nothing.

You would have done better to apply for their credit card on the spot, as credit companies are legally bound to investigate such matters as these. Also the credit company is legally bound to freeze the assets pending investigation.

Sorry, but you're out of luck. Atleast they didn't kill your cat.

Best of luck.

edit; basically the nighthawk is 100% correct on this matter.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I would agree with those who are suggesting some kind of exposure through media or animal rights direct action, the courts seem about as corrupt as anything else these days, why waste money on some sleazy lawyer?

Your cat is adorable and I hope she is well, please keep us up to date on her progress.

We all have to stand together and refuse to be treated this way by "professionals" and utility monopolies and the po po and every other nasty, corrupt organization this society has belched out in the past 50 yrs. Just say no !

Power to the people and their animal friends!

Peace.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I just got back from the vet, and I have yet to be able to read all of your replies. I appreciate all of your concerns, and the response has been very uplifting.

Here are some pics of Sawyer from today... he's in good hands right now.
It's been sad and yet relieving to know I'm not the only one. As soon as the Doc does the scope today, I will have a better idea of what my recourse will be towards the other vet. (whether I go after just my money, or more)

I was thinking that I would seek a $200 Petco gift certificate in lieu of Pain and suffering. I may get over this, but he's going to need lots of catnip....

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

I know that thee were many others that wrote in, but I wanted to clear up some things.

1- I DID apply for their card on the spot, as did my gf. (again, don't know why it didn't go through, my credits not that bad)

2-They FAXED my treatment records over to my vet. That was how I was informed that they never did the most basic and obvious test.

3- The vet that I went to has 24 hour cameras, and by law must maintain those tapes for 60 days. Either way, my vet saw the state of my cat when I arrived (covered in his own feces) and noted the overdose of certain drugs they gave him. Had my vet not pointed out all these irregularities, then I would have only been concerned with the fact they held my pet hostage, and tried to cause me duress. But like I said, now it's a waiting game until my vet gets done with the throat scope...

But thank you for your insight! I really don't know that much.... hopefully this changes things?

[edit on 10-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Let's see what that scope brings...and there is always a way. Not doing anything gives those bastards confidence that they can do it again.

Glad to see your cat looking healthy, jason...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Thanks, although he hasn't eaten in three days now. But they have him on constant fluids now..... so I hope that he stays healthy till they fix him... But thanks for your support 'Shock!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Aww well i'm glad he's recovering hope he spends the rest of his time in good health
Sawyer, unusual name, don't suppose he's named after the guy in a Twain novel?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Actually, yes he is.

When I first got the cat, he convinced me, in a rather odd way, to paint this fence for him, and give up a mouse I was saving for later....

That and the fact that I am a LOST fan. It was literally a mix of both....

And he's unfortunately not recovering yet. Just stable. I could only see him for 5 minutes because he has to stay on fluids constantly...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I had nearly the same thing happen to me....

My dog was limping around and not putting any weight on his leg at all. I freaked out and took him to one of the "after hours" vets near my house that was recommended on the message at my regular vet.

The kid there (he was like 20) went through all the "this may be expensive" crap BEFORE they would even start looking at him.

After 2 hours of all kinds of "tests" there was nothing they could find wrong with him and told us we could leave.

The experience cost me $750 and they DID NOT DO ANYTHING!

I wonder if there are even any credentials accredited to these "vets"??

Most of the time I deal with the vet techs and not the actual doctor.

There have to be extortion laws to protect consumers from this type of scam, where they play on peoples fears of losing their best friend.

Maybe I will get my money back my own way.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Yeah, um, I highly recommend the legal way.

But I agree with you that this is extortion. In a free market economy , they can charge what they want. But there has to be a problem with them euthanizing, or not treating at all, unless you can come up with thousands in the middle of the night, on the spot. Plus making you sign contracts under duress.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

In that case you may have a chance. As long as there's a trail to follow your chances are a bit better. I wouldn't hold my breath--finding a lawyer to take and really fight a medical malpractice case for humans is hard enough, as my buddy has found trying to get justice for his disabled son--but don't give up until you exhaust all options.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Thanks nighthawk.

I really doubt I can get a lawyer, unless the object in his throat came from there. However, I do happen to know every important person in my town, due to my job, and I don't think they would throw me out of their offices if I went in. I just have to wait for a day more....

But I do know the BBB president in this town, and I know all of the local News people... so this may get interesting if I take this to small claims court. (which is where I may have to go, I know)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The problem with dealing with people like this in a "legal way" is that they have all your and my money.

I am sure a lawyer is out of the question because of the cost.

Which brings me back to the "vets" vette' in the parking lot......

Sorry, they stole a lot of money from me.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Haha, I love the innocence of animals, he must wonder why he has that thing around his neck lol.

Take good care of him, Peace.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson3- The vet that I went to has 24 hour cameras, and by law must maintain those tapes for 60 days.

Where did you hear that? I have worked quite a bit in that industry and I was not aware that vets in CA must have surveillance cameras, or that they were required to hold the tapes for 60 days. Trust me cameras go out, servers crash, lots of stuff happens to disrupt recording.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Thanks, I'll U2U you when I find out what's in his throat. Cheers, and see you all in Britain in March...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

First and foremost... DON'T LET PEOPLE CONFUSE YOU....

It is NOT, I repeat NOT hearsay if it happened to you!!!!! In every court in the land, YOU are allowed to testify as to exactly what happened to you....This is called.. "Direct Testimony"

Remember what Hearsay actually is...

Hearsay:

1. unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge

Dictionary.com

Also there are any number of exceptions to the hearsay rule and hearsay evidence is accepted routinely under those standards, especially in a Civil Action. You are however NOT dealing with Hearsay as this all actually happened to you....

Second...

You are seeking relief in a CIVIL ACTION ... NOT a CRIMINAL ACTION!!!!

Completely different animal as it were.

While a Criminal action requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, a Civil Action only requires a "Preponderance" of evidence; or more accurately ... 51%...

In almost every single Civil action the winner is the one that convinces the judge and/or jury that they have the most convincing argument and the more believable description of the events in question.

So, stay on track and use the judicial system to help you. That is what it is there for.

I will be glad to assist you in any way...

Semper

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

We were informed at my work, that if you maintain video cameras for the purpose of evidence, you must maintain consistent recordings in order to maintain your own burden of proof... (to prevent tampering) I'm only assuming that they have to follow the same laws. But regardless, the evidence I have I believe to be sufficient. (If my vet will speak or write an analysis.)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join