It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Vet Has Hired "Thugs"; Shakes down pet owners...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
thats terrible, poor little cat,that was a cute cat, i would be ready to go nuts if that happened to me, they bring an ex-marine to get money, what low lifes, hope they go out of buiness, hope ur cat is healthy and happy.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Jason,

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat, and I hope he gets better soon. Have they finally diagnosed what his problem is?

I lost my cat awhile back to feline leukemia. There wasn't much they could do for him aside from relieve his discomfort until he died. All told, it cost about $1,500 in veterinarian bills, but we didn't begrudge him one dollar of it, he was family.

Our vet knew what she was doing, but It was obvious her only motivation for helping was the money. I sensed no real empathy from her at all, which I think is pretty sad for someone who's supposed to care about their patients.

They tried to get me to apply for a credit card as well, but I said "No", I preferred to pay in cash, which really trouble them. I guess they were worried one day I wouldn't have the fee..

If I were you, I'd go the small claims court route. An attorney will just cost you more, and only make the ordeal more stressful for you. One vet will not contradict another in court. They're like doctors, and fear reprisals from their colleagues in the medical community. It bites, but it's the truth.

In parting, I hope your friend gets better, and my prayers are with you both. Don't forget to take care of yourself in the process.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I have no additional advice, just wanted to say as a fellow cat and pet owner, I'm REALLY sorry about your experience. There's nothing lower than holding your sick cat hostage for their money. What a horrible experience!

Your cat is adorable and good luck to you!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Just FYI, it's not slander if it's true. Slander and libel only apply to flasehoods.

OP, in this case, I'd say you've got a heck of a lawsuit on your hands, and you very well may end up putting that vet out of business. I can't believe that a vet would essentially hold your cat hostage to extort money from you, all the while not running the most obvious test!!!! It's an outrage, and he should be made an example of!

BTW, I hope your cat is OK!

[edit on 10-7-2008 by keeb333]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Hell, you might even want to call some animal rights activists to give em hell.

That's not a bad idea. The activists are probably waiting for a good target to address and one person/business on a local level might be it.

If you can let the money go it can be spun from a rip off to improper medical treatment for animals which will touch more hearts.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Lots of bad vets out there. I've had two cats come back and two different vets and they were never the same. Don't know what the vet did to them.

A story about one of the vets that I will never forget. Had a neighbor who helped out some elderly people in the neighborhood. One day the cat had some ear problems so she took their cat to the vet. She left it and came back later, and the vet had actually neutered the cat, even though it was already neutered, and did nothing for it's ears. Don't know why she ever went back, but the next time she took a cat, this time to be neutered, the cat died on the operating table.

I avoid vets whenever possible with my cats. Just like our health care system, the care you get sets you back more than it helps. FYI,Iwould take my cats in a situation like the OP faced.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Call the police.. this sounds more like a front for some other activities..jacking the prices is almost expected; having someone physically intimidate you is a whole other deal. Also call BBB and your local PETA chapter.. PETA will get in this guy's face in a second.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by dragonseeker]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
People need to realize that a lot of times if the problem is not obviously picked up with basic tests or an x-ray then often TESTS DON’T MATTER! The course of treatment is what matters. Some vets will happily perform $1000 worth of tests when in fact that will often NOT change the course of treatment at all.

It is always good to ask how the tests will change treatment (i.e. if you find something on these extensive tests does that change how you will treat it? Or will you still just give fluids and antibiotics?)

Second good question is ask about STATISTICS. If the problem is likely to be A or B 95% of the time (and most problems are like that), don’t let a vet talk you into running tests for some extremely rare condition that shows up in one out of 500,000 cats especially if the treatment is the same.

Third thing tell them upfront that you don't have a lot of money and want to keep the test costs down if possible. Also when possible use the most senior vet available; if they have been doing it for 30 years they can diagnose much faster and much easier and are often less money hungry.

Years ago one of my cats stopped eating, vet said he wanted to biopsy the cats liver. First thing out of my mouth was “will biopsing his liver change the treatment?” No, treatment was fluids and force feeding regardless of whether they found fat in the liver. That is very very often the case with tests, they do not change treatment, most especially in an emergency where the animal will be treated for a few hours until the regular vet office opens. (For the record my vet was not a crook, I refused the tests and his office even offered to run a liver sonogram at no cost, so he was not into it for the money).

(Sorry for the long rant, its just I have dealt with a LOT of vets and various emergencies over the years).

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
jason, I am so sorry for you and your cat, that you had to go through that terrible situation. That was disgusting! It made me sad and sick to my stomach.
As a few others have mentioned, yes, contact a licensing board, Better Business Bureau, and organizations sympathetic to animals.
Also, somewhere online are sites where business patrons comment on services they've received. See if that place is mentioned on one.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Since I'm into all things natural....I have found with pets and children...most things get better by morning if you keep the person hydrated...peeing, pooping (yes), breathing... let rest....Many many many people and pets die in hospitals due to mal-practice/drugs whatever. You didn't find out anyway from this criminal vet. Take him to small claims court. Put a sign in your car window warning others about this vet. Call the vet board and complain.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Sounds like a classic con to me, i'm sure it's a legitimate vet who has just decided to do some bad things. I've had a similar situation.

My cat got kicked by some kids breaking it's leg, i rescued my poor pet from them and rushed to the vet. We've seen the vet before, have an account there. So i rush in after having called ahead, they take my cat frm me and go into the back room. I was asked to fill some paperwork out.

Abuot 10 minutes later the vet came out and told me the cats hip was broken and needs an operation, i ask for a rough estimate of the cost and she told me about £1000 ($2000). Luckily i've always had insurance for my pets and i told the vet that. However the vet wouldn't operate unless i could show i had the money in my account.

It took me nearly 20 minutes of talking, my broher bringing the insurance documents and the threat of legal consequences to get them to operate without proving i had the money needed. The insurance paid in the end so it was all well and i havn't had the same trouble at that vet since.

However another time when my cat got run over (yes i'm unlucky with my pet), some kind stranger picked him up and took him to another vet. Actually the person who picked him up was a vet in training, she took him to the place she worked as a nurse. The locom vet said to her "So what you want me to do with it". She drove to another vet and got it treated, my pets are chipped so they scanned it in and phoned me and i was able to get treatment as i had insurance.

I think some vets get into it just for the money and nothing more, oh and for all pet owners out there, get your pet chipped and insured, just kind of makes sense you know?

My insurance costs me about 8 quid a month, that's 96 quid a year. After my cats broken leg, the insurance has paid for itself for a good 10 years. Well worth it.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think that you should take them to small claims court.

They were more interested in emptying your wallet then in helping your cat.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The op asked if any have worked in vet clinics. My niece has worked for several animal hospitals over the years. Some are good, some horrified her. Especially in cases where an owner brings in a very sick animal and the vets start treatment, ringing up thousands of dollars, knowing full well the animal will in all likehood die. The clients are too stupid to ask what the prognosis is, and sign up for treatment without realizing the prognosis is almost certainly death regardless of treatment.

Another big dangerous scam is yearly vaccinations for adult animals. Cats in particular can get a deadly form of cancer from vaccine injections. The risks of yearly injections far outweigh the benefits for many older animals, especially those that are indoors, and vets that know/care often recommend boosters every 3 years, but many vets want the $$$ and inject every year without caring. (Of course they are very important for young animals).

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
its support like this that makes this site such a good place..

i am truly happy i get to be a part of something this big.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
well maybe their questionable ethics business wise are a gray area for legal action, their attempt at extortion is something all together different.

file a complaint with the states attorneys office of nothing else and let the marine boy squirm when the cops show up to investigate this event

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am interested in this "goon" character.

They just happen to have on staff a guy who will lean on a person if they are having a problem with the check?

Likely, it was late and it could have been a friend or family member...something....

In light of that, though, find out what would hurt them the most and hit them there. Call Animal Activists. They would go through the efforts of giving them hell while you focus on your cat and the legal case (it's there).

Send the bastards to hell without the handbasket.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
wear mask and in the dead of night go there and torch the place for what they did to you
I know how you feel though, quite a number of years ago my family had a dog and he got real sick one day, so we took him to our usual vet and all the bums did was run one test after another just to run the damn bill up. they found nothing or so they said, he came out looking ok but the next day flys were around him and he collasped when he tried to get up so we took him to some other vet that actually cares and they put him down right away instead of running a bunch of uneeded tests. luckily we have 2 good vets a military one and a regular one. I know how you feel when it comes to animals cause I've had dogs around me my entire life. heck I have a poor katrina cat that lives in my lap. shes a katrina cat cause some ***** actually locked the door and left her and a few other cats to fend for themselves during the katrina hurricane. luckily there was no flooding but the roof was ripped off the house which made made her a bit skidish. the others were taken to different plces for adoption since they weren't as human friendly as the one in my room. so go get em and if you fail to sue em hire some thugs to burn the joint down and rough up the people who did this to you.

[edit on 7/10/2008 by scorpionxx]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Wear a spy cam, put some glasses and a wig on and look for someone with sick vet. Reenact the whole thing and live rich afterwords.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have had a similar experience, and, honestly, I dont have an issue naming the company. It was Companion Pet Clinic. My cat had a urinary blockage, was passing blood and couldnt eat or drink. I took him in to Companion (which was the only place open on the weekend).

After going round and round with them and telling them I would not pay a dime over $50.00 until they at least diagnosed the problem. They actually had a janitor that they brought up front, as the exchange got a little heated, and the vet informed me that this janitor was also a bouncer, and that he would physically eject me if I didnt calm down.

Now, I'm not a big guy (5-11, 195), but i have a decent physique and a know how to carry myself. I stepped right up to the janitor and told him to go ahead and put his hands on me and he'd get those hands back in a mangled mess. The vet stepped in, obviously not expecting me to be willing to get physical, and said he didnt want a confrontation.

After a big more back and forth, they agreed to diagnose the cat and go from there. I estimated that the little confrontation saved me $550, as they wanted, from the start, to do an unnecessary surgery on my kittie.

Bottom line, it is an intimidation tactic, and you cannot let yourself be intimidated. As with anyone else who would use fear to control you, they rarely are prepared for you to step up.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
wow what an episode! i would have been really pissed to see the x-marine dude stare me down, i probably would have shown him a little of my Shou Shu martial arts skills.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join