posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:50 AM
Same thing happened to us in the middle of the night with my dog Brutus.
He's the best little Carin Terrin, smart as a whip, tries to talk when the family is talking ect.
Well we had a rodent problem, and I noticed the dog mucking around in an open, large hallway, closet, where my mother keeps all her stuff and shoes. I
called him away from there, and I thought i saw him in there like he was eating something. But I couldn't be sure.
That spot had been one of the areas where we had discovered rodent droppings, and unbeknownst to me, my somewhat senile father, who I take care of had
taken the bags of rodent pellet poison, and opened them (which your not supposed to do, the mice eat through the paper), and he had sprinkle a whole
bunch right near the front there.
So my first thought was the god ate a bunch of those pellets. I read the box, it had an emergency number, i called it, they told me to take the dog to
a Vet immediately.
It was a little past midnight now, and our regular vet is closed,so we went to a 24 hour job.
Well the story plays out just like yours, minus the Thug.
Anyhow they never did detect any poison in the dog but said since it was so dangerous and a spoonful could kill it, in 15 minutes after the dog starts
to show signs of being sick(which he never did).
Needless to say they had to do all sorts of crazy tests/shots/Charcoal in his stmach, gave us perscriptions which they sold us personally (way
After all was said and done the bill neared $4000. I forget exactly but it was $3800 and change, the dog had to stay overnight of course.
The problem is , is that basically you are at the mercy of these people, and then once your pet is in "thier" custody, they hold it hostage, we got
that feeling many times, as we tried to discuss a payment plan, as my family is not doing well finacially.
But they use the fact that they know you love your pet, and that they can basically run tests that no one but a Vet would know if they are neccesary,
or even proper.
The 24 hour vet is a pretty much a criminal racket imo.
Any how it's been 2 years and our dog is fine, and great as ever, we still don't even know if he ate the poison, but we were not gonna take ANY
chances, and the VET knew that, and used it against us.
That bill set us back months, with home owners insurance being just around the corner, house repairs were neglected, and it was a rough period , like
I said for about 2-3 months. I mean 4 grand is alot of money to some families.
I feel for you man.
[edit on 10-7-2008 by Nola213]