It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Price Gouging!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Now, when i was a kid my mother told me this, and it wasn't untill when i grew up did i understand what she was saying. Why is it that gas is the most expensive right before a Holiday? Just this past holiday, 4th of July; the gas prices leading up to it climbed dramaticly, hitting new records!

Retail gas prices rose overnight to a record high for the fourth day in a row, ahead of the July 4 holiday weekend - one of the nation's busiest weekends for travel.
The national average price for a gallon of regular gas rose to an all-time high of $4.098 from $4.092 the day before, a daily survey by motorist group AAA showed Thursdaymoney.cnn.com...

Oil hit a trading record of $145.85 on Thursday before settling at a record close of $145.29 a barrel. There was no floor trade in the U.S. on Friday due to the July Fourth holiday.
money.cnn.com... n=money_topstories

then look, the prices magicly fall on friday, when everyone got to where they wanted to be.

The week started with the oil markets focused on the bombast surrounding the Iranian nuclear situation and a fall in the dollar sending oil to a then all-time intra-day high of $143.67 a barrel. On Tuesday, the IEA's medium-term outlook said world oil demand would rise less than previously forecast, but also said supply would be tighter than anticipated. Wednesdays US stocks report which showed an unexpected 2 million barrel drop in US crude inventories and a smaller than expected increase in the distillate stockpile sent prices to a new intra-day high near $146 a barrel on Thursday. Prices then eased on Friday following an Iranian offer to talk about the latest proposal to settle the nuclear dispute and closed out the week just above $144.
link

And they would of continued to fall I bet, since the "fear was easing with Iran." So what do you need, another reason for fear:
Cnn head lines.

Iran Gen.: Our finger is always on the trigger
"We want to tell the world that those who conduct their foreign policy by using the language of threat against Iran have to know that our finger is always on the trigger and we have hundreds and even thousands of missiles ready to be fired against predetermined targets," Gen. Hossein Salami, commander of the Revolutionary Guard ground forces, said on state TV."

www.cnn.com...

How is that not blaintly obvious to Everyone? And if it is, why does everyone take it?
I ride a bike now. To and from where ever i might be going. 5 miles... 50 miles i use my bike. Granted i live in queens so its a little easier, but this something we all can do. We have all the tools we need, you were born with them. Remember, Indians before anyone was here, use to run with the buffalo some times for a whole day. So get off your ass.

Figure out your way to protest, and not just untill its better:
Forever.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by UnitedSatesofFreemasons]

[edit on 9-7-2008 by UnitedSatesofFreemasons]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

first off star for you. great post..

i was under the impression that price gougeing was done during emergencies. though i have noticed in my short 11 years of driving that prices do change during holidays. which is BS if you ask me. this should never take place, no matter the situation.

but i wonder if this is soley the act of individual stores. or if the oil companies play a role in this.

i know for a fact when gas prices are at there "norm" stations only make about 3-10 cent on the gallon here in the US.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Supply and Demand.

The demand for gas right before a holiday is high just as it is during the summer vacation season. If you have a high demand, you are going to lower the supply, and the prices rise. After the holiday is over, and after summer is over, the demand subsides and supplies usually rise and the price falls.

No conspiracy here....move along!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually drill for more oil right here in the U.S.? We could increase supply and lower the prices! Actually ending our dependence on foreign oil! Somebody needs to get all the Democrats in Congress to take an Economics 101 class, then maybe they would get it!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Supply and Demand.

The demand for gas right before a holiday is high just as it is during the summer vacation season. If you have a high demand, you are going to lower the supply, and the prices rise. After the holiday is over, and after summer is over, the demand subsides and supplies usually rise and the price falls.

No conspiracy here....move along!

I couldn't of saud any better. Most people don't realize that they raise the gas right before so they don't lose profit as if they did it right after. They know when peek demand is going to rise so they rasie the price a few day before.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
gas 147. new record! I guess that Fear tatic iran pulled worked! Good for them!

Meanwhile, oil continued its ascent on supply concerns. A barrel of oil vaulted to a record above $147, raising more concerns about the impact of higher prices on inflation and in turn, the overall economy.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

join