It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world is becoming a happier place: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The world is becoming a happier place: study

rawstory.com

The world is becoming a happier place, a study published in this month's Perspectives of Psychological Science shows.

Data from national surveys conducted between 1981 and 2006, which were collated by researchers at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research, showed that happiness was on the rise in 40 out of 52 countries.

University of Michigan political scientist Ronald Inglehart, the lead author of the study, said the upswell in happiness came as a surprise to researchers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.focus-fen.net

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is kind of interesting. Is this nothing more then the progressing world making lives better? Or is it that the powers that be executing there power and control to fool people into thinking they are in control of there lives.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It has to be the latter - people THINK they're in control, when in fact they're not...

These people are hypnotized by today's movies, television shows, and popular music. They're slaves to entertainment - because this entertainment tells them that "everything will be OK" and that "anyone who thinks otherwise is a conspiracy nut".

Most people don't even read any longer...and if they do, it certainly isn't much...

They're happier because they're absorbing more and more of these entertainment drugs. It's absolutely ridiculous - I bet most people can't even find Iraq on a map.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
LOL.

agree with the above poster. It''s all false happiness. Clouded and intoxicated by a false reality. We tend to be happy in a false reality because we have become unaware of our own thoughts and feelings.

Our thoughts are influenced by the media around us. Therefore if this poll is correct. Then it's a false happiness.

Human beings don't think anymore, or well not in an awarness sense. We rely on T.V, movies, media, weather, technology etc to stimulate happiness. Thats the only happiness that I see thats goes around the world.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Thanks to all who is posting.
It seems most do feel that the happiness that the study claims to be growing stronger, is more of a false happiness. If that is actually the case, then perhaps the powers that be are using this false happiness as a way to control the people, or "sheeple", is the term many like to use around here.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
People are becoming happier because more and more people realize that the only way to bring yourself out of depression is to bring your self out of depression.
Ironic really. To the above posters who believe this is some how "false happiness", tell me what are these so called powers that be, doing to you that limit you in any way from achieving your goals?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Maybe its all the drugs/chemicals in our water?

Just a guess...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This study is bogus in my opinion.

The truth is that the world is on Prozac.

Or some variation thereof.

And they are mind-numbed from fluoride in their water and food.

And they are mind-controlled through their television addictions or cult associations.

:shk:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The illusion of happiness is most sought out during times of personal crisis, or perhaps driven by bad news on a local, national or international level.

A false sense of happiness is also self generated oblivion.

In these times perhaps most people are quite 'happy' to remain oblivious to the reality that humanity is approaching a time of war, economic collapse, global warming, dwindling energy sources and food supplies.

Some people will find a way to be happy to the end!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Exactly! Some people will try to sugarcoat it until the very end!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Bilderbergers / Central Bankers to MSM:

"Tell our sheep and cattle that everything is fine, and they are living in a "Happy Place"...

The Economic situation is fine...

The Food situation is fine...

The world is at peace and free of tyranny...

"You all be good little sheep and keep serving us."

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Happy is a state of mind and if folks are blind to whats going on, but they are happy then i think its great. Life is too short. This website is full of doom and gloomers and i swear most of the folks on here have to be the most paranoid and depressed group of individulas ive ever come across. Thank God for this forum though because at least it gives them an outlet and folks to commune with!!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Even if it were still an illusion that the world is becoming a more happier place. What difference would it make when we already know what's happening outside? It would at least cheer me up a bit. I always have been cheerful, but lately. Things are different, there are signs out there that want me to get prepared for something but don't know what.

But I'll take a guess of when the world will be a happier place. Sometime after the end of the next World War, when the world population has shrunk, and when the NWO has been defeated. That is the when the good times arrive.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Bilderbergers / Central Bankers to MSM:

"Tell our sheep and cattle that everything is fine, and they are living in a "Happy Place"...

Yes master

The Economic situation is fine...

It is fine. Tell me what's wrong with it? And if its about the gas prices well, we have this little thing called supply and demand. We now have developing countries like china, india etc where hundreds of thousands of people each year are now moving into what we call in the west "the middle class". Now you may not believe this but their middle class like to have clean water, electricity, automobiles etc etc. Almost as if they are like our "middle class"

The Food situation is fine...

The last I checked at the supermarket, it was full of food. :p Granted the price for each item has gone up a couple of cents so I guess I won't be able to afford that extra pack of double bubble

The world is at peace and free of tyranny...

Your not gonna fool me with that one. The world has always been at war and their are still countries where the people believe tyranny is better than freedom ie North Korea. But the wars have gotten progressively smaller and continue to do so. But luckily in our neck of the woods, I can do, say, or not do whatever the hell I please.

"You all be good little sheep and keep serving us."

I serve myself and who ever else I can help out. Who are you serving DD? Are you living in North Korea? Then I could understand your attitude towards the world.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Cool Hand Luke] grammar, quoting etc.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
The illusion of happiness is most sought out during times of personal crisis, or perhaps driven by bad news on a local, national or international level.

I thought that happiness is a virtue that many people have a good hold of because they realize the illusion of self pity and depression. Perhaps you strive to be depressed all the time and likewise spend alot of energy getting others to feel your misery.

A false sense of happiness is also self generated oblivion.

Really? Maybe it is you who is in oblivion because refuse to see any good in the world?

In these times perhaps most people are quite 'happy' to remain oblivious to the reality that humanity is approaching a time of war, economic collapse, global warming, dwindling energy sources and food supplies.

We "approaching a time of war"? I thought that US entered war in 2003 and last I checked they were still at war. Economic collapse? Perhaps you were one of those people who said the same thing in 70s, 80s,90s, 2001 etc. and their prophecy has not yet come to fruition.

Some people will find a way to be happy to the end!

Indeed. Maybe one day you can be one of these people?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Can you not grasp the idea why people are happy? No its not mind control, drugs or any of those other excuses you use to try and explain this "strange phenomena" of happy people. Maybe you should try and find some of this elusive happiness.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

I am an alarmist, I have no time for happiness.

To everyone.... Don't worry, be happy!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm sorry... but I was under the assumption that "Happiness" wasn't a quantifiable thing.

Unless you're talking about the income from the movie, In pursuit of happyness. lol. (Yes that typo is there for a reason.)

So, what did they do. Open up a few glands and measure the seratonin levels etc.?

What kind of a study is this? How did they base their results?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

Gulp, gulp gulp

Swill, swill, swill

Ahhhhhh...

The kool-aid must taste so good...

Uhh, yeah, everything is just going so hunky-dory. Nothing to see here, no food shortages, no hard financial times, and "oh, we're always at war, so who cares about that".

lmao

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

"The feeling is definitely there. It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynasism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits."

Happier world?

- Lee

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join